2007 Bentley Arnage Condansation problem

Associate
Hi

My dad has a 2007 Bentley Arnage.

For the last year there has been condansation in the headlight, it has been back to Bentley and they say its a common problem and they all suffer from it.

Is there any way this could be cured? Or any advice on how it starts...

Thanks

Soldato
if your dad can afford to run a Bentley then im pretty sure he can afford to get it looked at by a independent garage perhaps ?

Soldato
Don't think anyone owns a Bentley on here so it's not really the best place to ask. There may be a couple of people who'll be able to answer but whether they see this thread, I do not know.

As above though. He's driving a Bentley, he's loaded, tell him to take it to an authorised service centre :)

You could also try Bentley specific forums.

Man of Honour
Joshy will be able to tell you how to fix it. This thread is his calling!

As above though. He's driving a Bentley, he's loaded, tell him to take it to an authorised service centre

Are you having trouble reading? He quite clearly states he has already taken it to a Bentley Authorised dealer and they have told him 'They all do that sir'.

Soldato
I had headlights on my BMW that used to condense up. BMW tried saying it was normal and within limits but in the end replaced them. No headlight was designed to condense up so they should be replaced.

Soldato
Bah, Junk them Bentley. Tell your dad he wants a Toyota Soarer, I have it on good authority they are the best out there!

On a more realistic note. The head lamp will have to come apart dried up and sealed properly. Got to be a decent independent garage or auto electrician who is willing to give this a try?

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;16916436 said:
Very useful post, well done.

he's come here with a bentley ?

what kind of answer was he expecting ?

if he had a bmw of ford then im sure someone could have helped.

what do you really expect fox with "my dads got a bentley"

Soldato
Give a hairdryer a go, as Fox suggests.

Is the car still under warranty? If it is, then I'd stand your ground with Bentley and tell them you'd like it fixed. If you get no further, let the dealership know you feel you have no choice but to speak with Crewe about your dissatisfaction, and do so. It is a £175,000 car new that should not have "acceptable" condensation issues after a short time.

Man of Honour
he's come here with a bentley ?

what kind of answer was he expecting ?

if he had a bmw of ford then im sure someone could have helped.

what do you really expect fox with "my dads got a bentley"

He's not asking for some complex Bentley specific advice, is he? He wants to know how to get condensation of out of headlights. Headlights are, generally, headlights.

DM

DM

Permabanned
Happens a lot, if you are out of warranty then you either have to cough up for new ones or suffer it. If you are in warranty you need to be firm as they dont want to do it really.

Soldato
Normal condensation is a natural process. Headlamps are vented to alleviate changes in pressure through two open vents. Atmospheric air contains water vapor, commonly referred to as humidity. When this air enters the headlamp under any circumstance, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is low enough. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the inside surface of the plastic lens. The thin mist will clear and exit through the vents during normal operation.

During a period of normal headlamp operation, the condensation should dissipate as the lamp heats up. Condensation should typically clear from the function pocket areas of the headlamp lens when the headlamp dip and main beam functions are turned on with the engine running for a 30 minute period. Prior to switching the lamps on ensure that all of the headlamp service caps are secure and that the two rubber breathers are in place. During this time the hood should be opened to maximize air flow around the headlamp assemblies.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This really doesnt sound like the advice of a Bentley authorised dealer to me.

I would have thought that rather than trying anything himself, he will have this resolved by contacting Bentley. They will likely take it fairly seriously that he has been fobbed off like this.

Man of Honour
Normal condensation is a natural process. Headlamps are vented to alleviate changes in pressure through two open vents. Atmospheric air contains water vapor, commonly referred to as humidity. When this air enters the headlamp under any circumstance, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is low enough. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the inside surface of the plastic lens. The thin mist will clear and exit through the vents during normal operation.

During a period of normal headlamp operation, the condensation should dissipate as the lamp heats up. Condensation should typically clear from the function pocket areas of the headlamp lens when the headlamp dip and main beam functions are turned on with the engine running for a 30 minute period. Prior to switching the lamps on ensure that all of the headlamp service caps are secure and that the two rubber breathers are in place. During this time the hood should be opened to maximize air flow around the headlamp assemblies.

Nicely copied and pasted.

Soldato
Which dealer did he visit?

I wouldn't have called headlight condensation on an Arnage with the later style headlights "common". Early cars with the square lights perhaps, and of course it's known to be a bit of an issue on Continental series cars, but I've certainly not come across it on a later car.

I do not know what Crewe's official stance is in regards to Condensation in lamp units, but going by workshop banter/rumours they do know about the problems and consider it to be normal/acceptable*.

Unfortunately there is no quick, permanent fix. We've been able to temporarily cure headlamp condensation by keeping the headlights on for an extended period of time, or by heating up the glass from outside with a Heatgun although personally I would not recommend it as there is a very real possibility of you melting/damaging something :p. And of course even if you do get rid of the condensation, it'll only return once moisture gets back into the unit :(.

*Like I said, Banter and Rumours. Do not quote me on it.

Man of Honour
Crushed poor people, this is what Bentley's are all about and the answer to every question is crushed poor people or as Bentley owners rightly call them, 'norms'.

Back
Top Bottom