2012/13 Jag XF 2.2 vs 3.06 v6 diesel

Associate
Nearly time to actually go out and get a new car I have been faffing about for a while

Jag XF I think is my preference followed by E class (not drove any yet)

For the Jag I wondered if anyone had any personal experience of both engines and real mpg. i.e is the 3 litre worth it (most reviews seem to rate it)

Similar for the E220 vs E250 for the E class (E350 would be too much I think)

5 series and A6 were also considered but I certainly like the appearance of the Jag more

For reference. looking for ideally less than 60 K miles. Budget up to about £ 13.5 K

Man of Honour
The Jag is a dinosaur from the days of the 5 Series and E Class before the generation you are looking at. It's a great alternative to an E60 5 Series or a W211 E Class but is simply not as good as either the F10 5 Series or the W212 E Class.

Soldato
The 2.2d in the XF totally ruins the car, get a 3.0d if it has to be diesel, the economy isn't much worse driven sensibly. The XF is also still a great car compared to the F10 5 series and W212 E Class, the infotainment is slightly lagging, but the interior feel (on higher end XFs, ideally portfolio rather than the rubbish business Sport and R-Sport versions) is much better than either of them IMO. That's coming from someone who currently has an F10 M5 :)

Associate
OP
Thanks, Mickey. Not many portfolios locally so far. Luxury and Premium Luxury amongst the options. I hate that split leather look on the lower trim seats

@ Fox though, opinion on 220 vs 250?

Soldato
Thanks, Mickey. Not many portfolios locally so far. Luxury and Premium Luxury amongst the options. I hate that split leather look on the lower trim seats
Premium Luxury is still nice, especially if you can stretch to a 3.0d S which will have the sports seats at this age (early ones didn't), Portfolio does have some nice upgrades like the suede headlining if you can find one though. I had three X250 XFs in a row, you do quickly get past the slightly dated infotainment, and I only moved on because four in a row seemed crazy, and I don't like the X260 for various reasons.

JKD

JKD

Associate
We have a 2.2d XF from 2014 (I don't remember the trim level). It's the 200 PS version. It's a heavy car so local commute kills the MPG, but a decent run sees 44-45 MPG. On a recent road trip to Europe, it topped 140MPH 4 up with all luggage (obvs legally permitted) and returned 48MPG over 5k miles there. I'd have loved the 3 litre model as you just can't have enough POWAH but 2.2d in 200 PS guise is fine.

In terms of comfort, ride quality and interior I feel it knock spots off the F10 5 series. Interior and dash on our spec is so much better than the 5 series. Infotainment is a bit pants though. I like it so much I'll be replacing our second car with a Jag as soon as I can. It's made me hate my Merc with a vengeance.

Don
In terms of comfort, ride quality and interior I feel it knock spots off the F10 5 series. Interior and dash on our spec is so much better than the 5 series. Infotainment is a bit pants though. I like it so much I'll be replacing our second car with a Jag as soon as I can. It's made me hate my Merc with a vengeance.

I have the exact opposite opinion. The XF interior is shocking compared to the F10. It compares very favorably with the E60 which is of the same generation as a 2014 XF.
The fit and finish is OK but the infotainment is just appalling compared to the F10. Comfort is similar but the BMW has it beat hands down on material quality and general ambiance.

If I had to choose between an XF or a F10 I would pick the F10 every time other than if I were buying an XFR. And this is coming from someone who loves Jags.

JKD

JKD

Associate
I have the exact opposite opinion. The XF interior is shocking compared to the F10. It compares very favorably with the E60 which is of the same generation as a 2014 XF.
The fit and finish is OK but the infotainment is just appalling compared to the F10. Comfort is similar but the BMW has it beat hands down on material quality and general ambiance.

If I had to choose between an XF or a F10 I would pick the F10 every time other than if I were buying an XFR. And this is coming from someone who loves Jags.

It's all about the leather covered dash for me! Maybe I'm getting old though...

Man of Honour
I spent 2500 miles in a current gen XF and even that felt like a dinosaur in comparison to the now old model 5 Series. I spared it the indignity of comparing it to the new model.

And that isn't me being a BMW fanboy as the current E Class for example is a fantastic car.

JKD

JKD

Associate
I spent 2500 miles in a current gen XF and even that felt like a dinosaur in comparison to the now old model 5 Series. I spared it the indignity of comparing it to the new model.

And that isn't me being a BMW fanboy as the current E Class for example is a fantastic car.

Are you talking x250 or x260? I had an brand new XE as a hire car couple of months back - it was a more modern design inside but obviously built to a cost. I've not sat in than X260 XF so can't compare.

JKD

JKD

Associate
Ah, mine is the x250, if the XE interior is anything like the x260 material quality (I assumed it was), I would not have bought it.

Soldato
XE shares the same console and instrument control panel and truth is it was benchmarked against the 3 series etc. Then c class came out like a mini S class and big void was obvious....

E Pace is more where you should expect to see the interior perceived quality improve and set the tone for future stuff more aligned to Velar. The console on XF is simply poor how they auto and manual is protected with similar parts

Going up to Windsor leather helps a lot but at the moment the saloons only let you get portfolio with leather dash, odd you can’t spec to S. As usual the infotainment walk up helps. Ie Incontrol TouchPro.

Soldato
I looked at the new XF but couldnt get over how cheap it felt compared with my 2010 XJ, so decided i couldnt live with it. Bought a BMW 640d Gran Coupe and its very well put together but miss the XJ and wished I got another but ones with the Euro6 300bhp engine was about £6k to £10k more than the 640d

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well it's very much up in the air at the moment. I took the wife for a quick look around looking just at exteriors. She wasn't taken with the XF. She did like the facelift W212 (obviously pushing the price further up)
There's a nice portfolio 2.2 xF (200) locally that I would like her to see. Bear in mind that she will not drive it and really only be in it at weekends. But happy wife and all that....
I also have a friend in the trade who may have found me a W212 pre-facelift which may be a good deal but it is a E350 which I think will be too thirsty
Budget now max 15K

Soldato
To answer the original question, having driven both the 3 litre is vastly better than the 2.2, even in low power 240PS guise. In 275PS tune in the 'S' it's even better. The four cylinder engine is ancient and awfully rough. The TDV6 sounds a lot better and is far more responsive

I haven't driven the competitor vehicles to be able to judge but for an X250, get the 3 litre not the 2.2

Back
Top Bottom