2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
my 13" Macbook pro retina 2.6ghz / 16gb / 256gb is enroute from Shanghai now according to UPS!

I need a few windows apps for work, am I better looking at parallels or fusion? Mainly office 2013 really, the mac version doesn't cut the mustard.

Both are about as good as each other - I usually buy which ever is cheaper.

Parallels always have a new version out to coincide with the release of the latest OSX. With that in mind wait until Yosemite is released and the latest version of Parallels or get fusion.

EDIT: Looks like Parallels 10 was released last week:

http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/

Last edited:
Caporegime
my 13" Macbook pro retina 2.6ghz / 16gb / 256gb is enroute from Shanghai now according to UPS!

I need a few windows apps for work, am I better looking at parallels or fusion? Mainly office 2013 really, the mac version doesn't cut the mustard.

Also, what slip cases is everybody using?

I'm using a LARobe sleeve.

http://www.be-ez.com/en/la-robe-air-black-addict.html

Says it's for the Air, but fits the 13 Pro like a glove. I'm very happy with it.

Soldato
Soldato
Both are about as good as each other - I usually buy which ever is cheaper.

Parallels always have a new version out to coincide with the release of the latest OSX. With that in mind wait until Yosemite is released and the latest version of Parallels or get fusion.

EDIT: Looks like Parallels 10 was released last week:

http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/

Personally, I find Parallels far better for desktop type virtualisation - it just seems to integrate better as an 'end user environment'. You can read about my initial play with Parallel 10 here.

I still use Fusion an awful lot - but I tend to use Fusion for server based stuff. It scales better, and shunting stuff over to ESX is far easier.

Soldato
Personally, I find Parallels far better for desktop type virtualisation - it just seems to integrate better as an 'end user environment'. You can read about my initial play with Parallel 10 here.

I'm still on Parallels 8 as I only use it for my Windows 7 VM. It was built as backup when I first moved to Macs in 2011. These days I hardly ever use Windows unless I'm forced to by a client who has no OSX compatible VPN solution.

I like the performance improvements you mentioned, it's one of the reasons I bought Fusion 6 over Parallels 9. I may give 10 a try.

I still use Fusion an awful lot - but I tend to use Fusion for server based stuff. It scales better, and shunting stuff over to ESX is far easier.

I agree with this - all my CentOS VM's for work are in Fusion.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I've been having slightly crazy thoughts of buying a macbook Pro to compliment my PC.
Firstly, are there any major updates rumoured in the next 6 months?

Anyway, looking online for how I would connect to external monitor. I want to use displayport.
On the Apple website it states:

Thunderbolt digital video output
Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

However, the current Macbook Pros have no displayport connector, and there doesn't appear to be an official thunderbolt to displayport?

Soldato
Broadwell is coming sometime in Q2 2015. It's likely a revised MBP will be among the earlier machines launched.

Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort use the same connector/port. Take your pick of connection. Thunderbolt to an Apple Thunderbolt Display, DisplayPort cable or the adapters for VGA, DVI or HDMI.

Associate
:D

bd00b34f58.png

Associate
Sorry guys, it's just showing the price ex-vat, total cost was about £1200.

Sold the £60 gift card for £50 so only really comes to £1150 :)

Not a refurb btw, new 2014 model.

Last edited:

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Broadwell is coming sometime in Q2 2015. It's likely a revised MBP will be among the earlier machines launched.

Thunderbolt and Mini DisplayPort use the same connector/port. Take your pick of connection. Thunderbolt to an Apple Thunderbolt Display, DisplayPort cable or the adapters for VGA, DVI or HDMI.

Ah, cheers! Didn't realise displayport and thunderbolt were the same connector. Makes sense now. :)
Perhaps I should stick to Windows....:p

It's this or a Surface Pro 3. Can't decide whether I want the proper laptop form factor more, or the touchscreen/pen capability of the Surface. Use will be general browsing and some Lightroom edits when away from my desktop PC.
Pen ability sounds good for some Lightroom bits, but still not sure how solid the Surface is in laptop mode if used on lap or sitting in bed!

Unlikely to see touch on a Macbook any time soon?

Soldato
I owned a SP2 and even a Dell 27" AIO and touch is pretty fun for scrolling a web page, outside of that it is near useless when compared to the track pad on Macs, its just easier/faster to use that then extend your hand. Also with glossy glass displays it gets so much finger prints.

SP2 keyboard was not great too, it was cramped and difficult to use, after while I gave up and just started using a wireless keyboard.

Associate
Picked up my Macbook Pro today! Super happy with it!
512GB 15" with dedicated graphics
£300 education discount so got it for ~£1699
Also got the additional 2 years apple care for £60 and the £60 gift card

Certainly something I NEEDED to start my degree next week! :D

Associate
Picked up my Macbook Pro today! Super happy with it!
512GB 15" with dedicated graphics
£300 education discount so got it for ~£1699
Also got the additional 2 years apple care for £60 and the £60 gift card

Certainly something I NEEDED to start my degree next week! :D

In-store or online?

Online HE store comes with 3 year apple care as standard.

Back
Top Bottom