2013 KTM Duke 690

Soldato
It's been more than 3 years since I had my 1996 CBR600f on the road and whilst I intended to restore it and put it back on the road I basically can't be bothered. I reckon I can get around £300 - £500 for it as a "project" bike and this means I can finally buy something newer and more "interesting". I've always fancied owning a KTM Duke and a local KTM dealer has a 2013 Duke 690 in stock for £5500 (6000 miles, 1 owner, KTM dealer service history) and I'm highly tempted. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes or care to suggest an alternative. This bike is purely for fun, I don't need it for commuting or doing any long distance journeys. The main priority for me is enjoyment, running costs aren't particularly important and I like the idea that it will likely hold its value well. Any advice is appreciated...

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Meant to be cracking fun, looking at another Rc8 or 990 superduke myself, Every review i have read gives them 10/10 with the only downer being small fuel tank on the earlier bikes.

Soldato
I use mine as a commuter/fun/weekend bike. I have no major problems with it at all, it does everything I ask of it. There are some minor niggles that are worth keeping in mind, copy paste of a post I made from another forum:

Whilst you do need to be in the right gear as long as you are not being stupid (IE 4th gear at 30MPH) then the power is there, everywhere, whenever you need it. The torque is very pronounced, it's pulls like a train and once you get it up to around 7,000 RPM it screams and has an almost second wind until you hit the redline shortly after. It will complain and you WILL know about it if you want to ride in a gear the engine is clearly not happy about.

The rear wheel can be snatchy if you do not down shift correctly, it does have a slipper clutch but you really should be downshift rev matching, especially into 1st gear.
It's eager to turn in, the lightness is very pronounced and combined with the engine braking of the big single you can ride it hard and fast on the twisties and rarely touch the brakes. It has fantastic flow when you are on the boil. That said, make sure you account for the engine breaking on the single. There is A LOT of it, be careful if you shave all your speed off with the brakes to a speed you think is appropriate for a corner and THEN let engine braking do some as well, you will be going slower than you thought :D

Rear ABS is a little too sensitive. Cuts in a little early in my opinion. However, if you want to be 110% hooligan you can turn it off from the clocks. Saying that though, it stops very well.

It's a big single, even with the brand new LC4 refinements it vibrates. Not enough to annoy but enough to make the mirrors questionably useful at certain speeds/RPM :p

You NEED to swap out the stock exhaust. It's just not loud enough at stock. I was very tempted by the full system but I was told it was, and I quote, "Obnoxiously Loud". While that sounds attractive, I commute....sometimes at 6am. Neighbours would kill me. Akra without baffle is fine.

Niggles I have had - Rear brake lever is far far too high in stock configuration. It's so high you have to physically lift your leg to get a toe on the claw. There is a degree of adjustment built in, mine is JUST about right on the upper end of adjustment with the foot pegs inverted. Foot peg lift combined with brake lever lowering is just about comfortable.
Same on the other side, little bit too much of a gap between shift lever and foot peg, inverted foot peg is comfortable however. The shift lever does have some degree of adjustment also but I did not need to go that far.

LC4 Engine has a habit of stalling infrequently. Usually when pulling up hard at a junction. I think it's because the big single is so sensitive to any kind of load without applying some juice. If you are a millisecond too late clutching in then it stalls it. In-fact, I stalled it today pushing it backwards in neutral with the clutch out, shrug. It is a rare occurrence though.

When mine is out of warranty there is a plug-in fuelling adjustment module that one of the Australian (I think?) owners produces that I intend to install. To comply to EU whatever it is the bike runs a bit lean when not WOT. The plug in fixes that.

Oh, one other thing - watch out for the paintwork on the frame by the shift lever. Mine was started to wear away very very quickly. I've put some of that 3M anti stone chip sticky plastic on the frame to stop the paintwork being marred. I've started to wear even through that at 6,500 Miles though, needs replacing again! (Might be because of my boots, but be wary)

Otherwise, go for it!

tl;dr It's fun, it's got a shed load of character, it will commute fine, it will hooligan fine, it's slightly different and will not bankrupt you. Having just posted this post...I now want to go ride it - If that's not enough of an endorsement for it then I do not know what is :D

duke690_4.jpg

Mine has had a tail tidy, akra can, crash bars, rear swingarm/front fork sliders and an uprated H4 bulb (which is weedy on dipped at stock :()

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bought this beauty on Saturday :D Loving it already although getting used to the engine is taking a while after being used to riding a mid-90's CBR600F! I'm finding it hard to control at low speeds as the engine is horribly lumpy below 3000rpm and the throttle is very sensitive and 'snatchy'. I've done a little research and seen that some people are de-catting their dukes and having them mapped which appears to help with low rpm performance. Not sure what mods I'll be going for yet but I know it's going to happen at some point!
10514700_10152154657122117_9084717932312080446_n.jpg

Soldato
Akra Slip-On
Tail Tidy

You know you want to!

Yeah the throttle can be snatchy at low RPM, you'll just have to dip the clutch more at low speeds.

Caporegime
It's been more than 3 years since I had my 1996 CBR600f on the road and whilst I intended to restore it and put it back on the road I basically can't be bothered. I reckon I can get around £300 - £500 for it as a "project" bike and this means I can finally buy something newer and more "interesting". I've always fancied owning a KTM Duke and a local KTM dealer has a 2013 Duke 690 in stock for £5500 (6000 miles, 1 owner, KTM dealer service history) and I'm highly tempted. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes or care to suggest an alternative. This bike is purely for fun, I don't need it for commuting or doing any long distance journeys. The main priority for me is enjoyment, running costs aren't particularly important and I like the idea that it will likely hold its value well. Any advice is appreciated...

whats wrong with the cbr, still running or non runing?

(i want a cbr for a project bike lol)

Soldato
I really don't know much about KTM. They don't seem very common down my way at all. I think ive seen about under 5 ktm bikes in my lifetime. Are they a small company (smaller than ducati) is it a british company or foreign?
They aren't advertised very well like other bike companys. Are they doing well,parts must be hard to come by?
Lots of questions, just never hear of them unless you really look into the company itself...mmm kinda strange.

Soldato
KTM is huge in the racing world, mainly motocross.

They are an Austrian company and the company history is not as simple as one might expect. But KTM in the motorcycle world is quite well known.

Nowhere near as common on the road as other brands which is why you don't see many.

Soldato
OP
whats wrong with the cbr, still running or non runing?

(i want a cbr for a project bike lol)

The cbr's a runner but I sold it a few days ago I'm afraid.

Akra Slip-On
Tail Tidy

You know you want to!

Yeah the throttle can be snatchy at low RPM, you'll just have to dip the clutch more at low speeds.
Both will be happening as soon as funds allow, might have to decat it when the warranty runs out :)

Man of Honour
Awesome bike! Is it carb'd or FI? Big singles are naturally less smooth than I4 but after a week or so you'll be used to it. The throttle on my 990SMR is horribly snatchy below 4K RPM which makes riding around town difficult, but after a couple of weeks I had adapted and use the clutch a lot more. Still not silky smooth but I no longer look like the bike is taking me for a ride rather than me, it!

As for mods, I keep getting compliments for the cheap (£60) eBay CNC levers on my bike. They're titanium coloured with a "KTM orange" adjuster knob. I reckon they'd look great on the Duke.

Soldato
OP
Awesome bike! Is it carb'd or FI? Big singles are naturally less smooth than I4 but after a week or so you'll be used to it. The throttle on my 990SMR is horribly snatchy below 4K RPM which makes riding around town difficult, but after a couple of weeks I had adapted and use the clutch a lot more. Still not silky smooth but I no longer look like the bike is taking me for a ride rather than me, it!

As for mods, I keep getting compliments for the cheap (£60) eBay CNC levers on my bike. They're titanium coloured with a "KTM orange" adjuster knob. I reckon they'd look great on the Duke.

It has EFI, I do love the engine it's just taking a while to get used to it as the CBR had a ridiculously smooth engine. I do love the torque though, just can't pull back full throttle too often as the bike wants to wheelie! I shall be making some cosmetic mods soon, just deciding what I think is worth changing.

Soldato
Next on my list is some of the carbon panels. Side ones and rear hugger for sure. Un-decided on the front mud guard....it looks damn awesome in carbon but then I really like the white also.

Crash bars are relatively cheap and serve a function as well as being cosmetic. Huge back order on them though. Mine took a few months.

Associate
Great Bike, I have one. Just clocked up 2000 miles and have enjoyed every one of them.
I have the following mods

Kev's O2 mod
Powerparts front seat, rear sets, hand guards, crash bars and bobbins,
Akra slip on, K+N air filter.

I have just ordered a Leo Vince de cat pipe.

Will post a few pics when I have cleaned it.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom