2014 Ford Focus. Boots keeps opening on its own

Associate
Hi guys

Brother in Laws focus having some problems. Boot keeps opening on its own. I would assume that water has got in someplace. Any idea were connections are for this? Also is there anyway to disable remote unlock on boot and just use it manually?

Opening at random times including when you start the car,

Any ideas?

Soldato
It does sound like water has managed to find it's way in to somewhere. It was problem with Mk2's as water would get past the rear light clusters. Assuming Ford haven't changed the design too much between the Mk2 and Mk3's then it's the plug in the rear passenger arch which you can get access to by removing the boot liner on the passenger side.

Caporegime
My Mk 3 estate did this occasionally, I swapped out the rear number plate light which had failed prior to its MOT to find the housing (which contains the boot release button as well as the number plate light) was full of water, I’m guessing the water was periodically shorting out the switch and opening the boot.

It’s not done it since.

Soldato
It'll be the wiring by the boot hinge which will have broken down due to flexing when the boot is opened and closed.

Open the boot, locate the flexible trunking that contains the wires which run into the boot and pull back one of the rubber grommets to examine the wires, some of which will need reattaching.

Back
Top Bottom