2017 Street Triple RS vs. 2017 Monster 1200 S

Soldato
Indeed two very different bikes but I'm faced with an unusual dilemma here - it is a lot of money for something on two wheels (as friends and family are reminding me) but this is a once-in a-lifetime thing where I can realise my dream of owning a great bike.

The Monster and Street Triple are the two bikes which after weeks of reading reviews, watching YouTube videos and touring dealers I find the most appealing, mainly in terms of aesthetics and tech.

I need to take both for a test ride but would like to get some honest thoughts on here. Most of the media stuff is bound to be a little bias.

Links:

Monster 1200 S
Street Triple RS

Just wondering which you might pick and why. I keep switching minds on a daily (and sometimes hourly!) basis.

Soldato
Street Triple. It's nimble, light, powerful, looks great and most importantly is a quality made bike. I'm not saying the Monster isn't a quality bike but you you put the two side by side the Triumph wins.
It seems to be in a nice area of power as well, a bit more than a 600 and a bit less than a big 1000.

I'm having, or had the exact problem between a Superduke and Street Triple. :) Two completely different and expensive bikes but still a manly dilemma :p

Soldato
The Monster (espcially the S version) is very well built, not sure the triumph beats it in that category.

Only a test ride will let you make your mind up, they're 2 very different bikes. Me? The Monster. Purely becuase I love V-twins, and the engine in the 1200 is a stonker. Add full ohlins and it's not even a choice for me.

The street tiple will be faster handling, lighter, less comfy if you're tall. The monster will have brutal torque and the sound with a set of termi's will be awesome.

Think of the street triple as a small, presiscion hammer and the monster as a sledgehammer. :D Both designed to do roughly the same job, but in very different ways :D

Soldato
Two very different bikes - I think you'll only really know once you've had a couple of goes on both. Personally I'd be frustrated by the low down lumpiness of the Ducati, but there's no doubt it'll sing once you get it moving.

Check out the local dealer network too, and look for reviews on them.

Soldato
OP
I've read too many reviews and I'm now worst off in terms of deciding.
They are different, and I was expecting a bit of a backlash on here because there's so much between them - thankfully you lot are understanding. I wasn't aiming for a particular engine size or even budget - the only criteria was it has to be reasonably upright (in my 40s - riding with my bum in the air whilst laying across the tank isn't for me).

You won't believe how many bikes I started out with. I began with a very conservative budget but then circumstances changed and so did the ceiling price.

The Street is less expensive, looks nice and is loaded with high performance components like rear Ohlins and quick shift (though upward only). Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa tyres and a TFT display. On YouTube I watched riders put it through its paces at Catalunya and in terms of power you wouldn't need any more than what's on offer.

But then I look at the Ducati. Ohlins front and rear. Quicks shifter up and down. That drool-inducing single swing arm coupled with a twin exhaust, although I would almost certainly switch to Termignonis depending on what deal I could get. It is a cash purchase so might be able to haggle something.

I'm 70/30 Ducati right now. But I can't help but wonder if that extra £5k can be put to better use. So I guess the money is the real decider for me. If they were both £10k I'd pick the Monster in a heartbeat.

@Freeman - having or had? What happened in the end?

Associate
get the triple .. then you have cash left over for new leathers and a helmet ..your going to need em ..
throw in every weekend away all summer and your going to have fun ..
plus you can somewhat throw the triple around where as the ducati will be sluggish under 60 ..
but up to you ..

Caporegime
The Triple's success is also it's biggest downfall IMO. Not a day goes by without me seeing at least 5 of them, they're the Ford Focus of the biking world. Common as muck. That said, they are lovely so I suppose if you customize it enough to make it stand out from the crowd it should feel more special.

Soldato
But then I look at the Ducati. Ohlins front and rear. Quicks shifter up and down. That drool-inducing single swing arm coupled with a twin exhaust, although I would almost certainly switch to Termignonis depending on what deal I could get. It is a cash purchase so might be able to haggle something.

@Freeman - having or had? What happened in the end?

The Street also has ohlins, a quickshifter and brembos as standard :)

Real life happened, might need to buy a house instead this year. :(

Soldato
OP
Onlins on the rear only + limited to upward quick shift. Diddums made a valid point, every other bike is a Triple. Something I've noticed. Dont see many Monsters (or Ducatis come to think of it). Especially not the 1200 in grey.

Know what you mean about real life. The time will present itself again. Kind of what happened here.

Soldato
I saw a street triple RS at finchingfield today, didn't look 'special' the same way a 1200S does.

I'd go for the monster. If you can stretch to a 1200R then that would be head and shoulders above the street triple.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Monster looks special? Meh, I think the streefighter stands out a lot more than the Monster or MV's Brutale or Dragster. Monster has been out for too long, its nothing special anymore.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think the 1200 S in grey is a bit of a head turner. I really like the Brutale but MV are in serious decline, I don't want to pay over £10k for a bike which is unlikely to have dealers let alone parts in the not too distant future.

Screen_Shot_2017-05-07_at_18.37.31.png

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Everyone has their own taste I gues... ehh. But I mean, look at the lines of this Italian beauty!
image.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah but as I said - buying MV now carries a lot of risk. Last time I checked they're verging on bankruptcy. They are beautiful bikes, no doubt.

Soldato
MV's are awesome and one of the most beautiful bikes out there, but... the dealer network is very poor - that alone would put me off buying one.

I remember salivating over a 1200s when I was test riding the monster 821 back just after I'd passed my test. They are stunning looking bikes.

But then I am a fan of gold forks and a bit of 'bling'... :D

The street triple RS is understated whereas the Monster 1200s is a lot more 'look at me!!' both in sound and looks. Depends what you like.

A test ride will confirm it though, at the end of the day it'll come down to whether you prefer a 1200cc thumping v-twin, or a 765cc smooth IL3.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeah but as I said - buying MV now carries a lot of risk. Last time I checked they're verging on bankruptcy. They are beautiful bikes, no doubt.
If this is the case, the prices of them in a few years time will shoot up sky high. :eek:

We all know where this convo is going, I bet at the end of the thread you'll just get an Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 :D If its a one lifetime choice you purely will make with your heart, might as well go all out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom