2017 Street Triple RS vs. 2017 Monster 1200 S

Soldato
OP
I won't lie - I did take a look, that is a bit too bling for me! And the price is mega! You at least get the point of this, not necessarily after practicality or even what's sensible.
@Kreeeee, the RS retails at £9900. So not quite the £10k mark. Does come pretty loaded in terms of spec though.

Anyway - expect this thread to come alive again in the coming weeks. Just need to test the bikes out then I'll make a purchase. TBH, I'd bet on the 1200 S :)

Associate
my almost son in law ..lol hmmm got a 1299 the other week (22k 17 plate)says it's a dead horse under 50 .. but he has 2 600rr's one track one road ..but after that it comes alive ..
so up to you test drive em hard if it's for all day use take em round a city center then make your mind up ..

Soldato
And to add, from reports it seems the RS has all it's peak power way up in the rev range, so it'll be a bike you need to up at 7-8k+ rpm to get the best out the engine. The Monster on the other hand, well if it's anything like my Tuono there's little point in revving above 7-8k rpm, all the fun is from 4k to 7k rpm.

Is it the new 2017 monster you're looking at? or a used older model? The new one has a load more features over the 2016 model. Old monster 1200s vs new street triple RS is a hard choice, no QS on the Monster and less modern electronics.

Soldato
And to add, from reports it seems the RS has all it's peak power way up in the rev range, so it'll be a bike you need to up at 7-8k+ rpm to get the best out the engine. The Monster on the other hand, well if it's anything like my Tuono there's little point in revving above 7-8k rpm, all the fun is from 4k to 7k rpm.

And therein lies the problem of big v twins. The Ducati 1200 is horrible below 3 - 4k rpm - riding around town in a 30 mph limit is a constant dance with the clutch.

Soldato
And therein lies the problem of big v twins. The Ducati 1200 is horrible below 3 - 4k rpm - riding around town in a 30 mph limit is a constant dance with the clutch.
I agree to an extent, it's very dependent on the gearing. My Tuono is horrible at 20mph, but will happily sit at 30mph in 3rd gear at 3k rpm. That's with -1/+2 gearing though, with stock gearing they're far too high geared.

Generally though a big v-twin is gonna be harder work at slow speeds/in traffic than something lower geared.

Even my VFR doesn't like to be below 3000 rpm and will shudder below that, but it's a lot nicer at slow speeds than the tuono. Just keep it above 3k and it's fine. But then it's pulling 5500rpm at 80mph Vs the tuono at 5100rpm.

Soldato
OP
Is it the new 2017 monster you're looking at? or a used older model? The new one has a load more features over the 2016 model. Old monster 1200s vs new street triple RS is a hard choice, no QS on the Monster and less modern electronics.
Yeah the 2017. Oddly there's no 2017 R model. Just basic and the S.

This guy makes it look easy pottering around Monaco during rush hour. Appreciate he does this for a living won't assume it's that easy below 30. Also worth adding this won't be a commuter. I train it to London when not overseas.

Soldato
In the past I've found myself stuck for choice between the Monsters and Street Triples but both times I've chose the Triumph... Couple of reasons for this choice really...

*Price tag on the Ducati.. at the time the Triumph was £7400 Ducati was near on £9500

*Parts and servicing costs on the Ducati were to high for my liking

*Triumph gave me more of a thrill when riding

*I prefer the scream of a IL4 and Triple engines

The only thing I would've preffered about getting a Monster was the fact I could say I own a Ducati

Soldato
OP
Still torn, however I'm booked up for a 1200 S test ride on Thursday, although the dealer has said it won't happen if raining. Fair enough, it's an expensive bike. Street test is not till Saturday unless I can bring it forward. That's simply work getting in the way.

Triumph: Local dealer which is < 10 mins away, solid reviews online, nearly £5k cheaper than the Monster in liquid grey, sounds great, looks great.
Ducati: Tons of power/150 bhp, 1200cc, looks amazing, as you say - it's a Ducati.

Funnily enough, when I told my Dad I was in the market for a new bike, the first thing he asked? "Will it be a Ducati?". I'm beginning to assume the Ducatis are the Ferrari of the biking world, the Street is perhaps more like the 911. A safe bet. For me, heart says Ducati, brain says Triumph.

BTW, to those who made the recommendations - I did look at Aprilia and Super Duke. First one is too sporty, and KTM is simply not my cup of tea in the looks dept.

Anyway - will post an update after testing the Monster and RS.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure how big/tall you are, but one thing to consider is just how tiny the street triple is. If you're over 6ft then it'll be like a bear riding a tricycle...

And yeah Ducati = Ferrari. Aprilia = Lamborghini.

The street triple is more equivalent to an MX-5. Everyone's first 'big' bike/sports car. ;)

Soldato
OP
Quick update. Took the 2017 1200 S for a test ride yesterday. Seriously impressive. As with most bikes, looks much better in the flesh, even the red looked OK although think I prefer the exclusive grey colour. It's a big bike, looks like a force to be reckoned with.

It feels gnarly and angry and really does not enjoy sub 30 - but flip that throttle and the scenery is instantly blurred and delivery is smooth. However didn't even try sport mode, too chicken. Started in Urban then enabled Touring while zipping along. The cool TFT instrumentation panel confirming the switch and now displaying a rev counter.

The sound is fantastic, right from the moment you start it up. Most impressive was the quickshifter. Endless acceleration then the auto blipper matching engine revs when dropping down through the gears, such a great feeling - and again, that sound while dropping through the gears. All with standard cans.

The Triple RS has a lot to live up to, I can totally see myself going for the 1200 S.

Soldato
I wouldn't be holding Triumph up as the pinnacle of reliability.

I don't think I would ever buy another one that's for sure.

It would have to be the Ducati in this case, especially as you are saying it's a once in a life time thing, it's just so much more more special than a triumph.

Back
Top Bottom