2017 Woodbridge 1 Mile Racing NOW ON BOOK QUICKLY!!

OcUK Staff
Hi there

We've all enjoyed quarter mile racing, though many of us share the same complaints the sticky/rubber surface can cause launching issues for many road cars with wheel hop which can break things and vastly reduces fun factor. Then the other issue is well its over pretty quick and does not really allow you to stretch your cars legs in a safe environment.

So thank you to some members of OcUK for suggesting 1 mile racing, I've being discussing with Javalin about hold 1 mile drag racing event at an airfield where two cars can race side by side for one mile from a standing start or on a roll and the winner is the one with the highest terminal speed by one mile, though the first one crossing the line could also be considered the winner as well as they are obviously the better driver if their car crosses line first even if it does so slower. So those passing the line first are the winner as in better driver, those with higher terminal speed have the faster car but just don't have the talent to drive it. ;)

Anyway for now there is no fixed date but here is some key information:

- Airfield (so normal surface and if you hit something, well you win an award for hitting something when there is nothing to hit).
- 1 mile racing from a dig or a roll, we could do morning on a roll and afternoon from a dig or depending what weather dictates.
- 40 cars £130 each, 60 cars £115 each. I think 40 is better, more track time and more likely it being an exclusive OcUK & M6G event, of course if we can make 60 we will do 60.
- We could make a weekend of it, like stop in a hotel night before or after and go for a drive as well, if people like the sound of this idea then start searching for hotels in the area as I would be up for this but will leave hotel arranging to someone else.
- Dates will not be finalised but it shall be 2017 and no doubt March onwards so less chance of freezing conditions as ideally we want warm 7c or warmer air and preferably dry though wet is fine within reason (make sure your tired have tread). ;)

For now I want to register interest, but if you say you are likely to come, actually mean it, understand its £130 cost, plus petrol and is a full day out or weekend for those who want to make a weekend of it. Lets make it clear it gets no better than this for racing and testing your car in the safest possible environment, its an airfield, so normal surface, no walls to hit, if by some miracle your losing it then the other car should abandon its run and literally turn around and go back to get away from the spinning vehicle unless of course your ahead and out of danger but car to car contact should be near impossible and car to scenery contact should be impossible apart from maybe a cone or two, just your pride.

I can definitely run, any date is fine unless I have a life crysis!
1. Kindai - Nissan GTR (July & Sept Dates)
2. Warranty_V0id - Audi TTRS
3. Freefaller - Nissan 350Z
4. ianh - Audi RS6 V10 (July Date)
5. Rainmaker - ??
6. Grudas - BMW Z4 Coupe
7. Acme - BMW E30 325i Touring or MX5.
8. Gibbo - BMW E46 M3 or Ford Mustang (July & Sept Dates)
9. Usel - BMW Z4 E85 3.0i
10. rob275 - Toyota GT86
11. 666mac - 800HP Ford Mustang (September Date)

I am really up for this, money is not an issue, but I have a social life and need a date before I can commit at which point I can put it in my diary and make sure work, family, the ball and chain know I will not be available that weekend!
1. Lashout_UK - unknown
2. Lashout_UK friend - unknown
3. Kindai friend - Aston V12 Vanquish
4. Firestar 3x - R36 CC
5. DRZ - Z4 or 535D or maybe both
6. Marvin - E39 M5
7. Voxination - V8 M3 or new 911
8. ianh - 1000BHP RS6
9. MrFunex - Lexus
10. Autobrite - BMW M5 TT

Those who wish to spectate, join the cruise/hotel stop over

The day and airfield shall be organised by professionals, so should a disaster happen emergency services shall be on standby etc.

A couple of videos for those who have never done one mile racing:

It should be great fun and in 2017 I shall discuss maybe alternative venues, but Woodbridge is an ideal location for maybe a drive along the coast the following day. :)

So the question is can anyone break the 200mph mark? I know a certain Mustang owner who will fancy his chances of entering the 200mph club. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh man, now I'm wishing I still had my 400bhp Hawkeye which could get off the clocks plus a lot more.

Not sure it'd be a lot of fun in the Civic Type R :p I'll volunteer to drive the M3 ;)

I'm in for spectating/cruising over, though unless another Civic Type R or similar ~220bhp is in then I'm not sure I'll bother running, as I know my top speed already and it takes a while to get there :p

In fact I might think about hiring or borrowing something for the day.

OcUK Staff
OP
Could you chose somewhere further away :D?

Sign me up.

Makes it a good drive out and maybe worth making a weekend off, it is a few months away so lots of possibilities. I shall be given some concrete date opportunities hopefully in December so then those who need a concrete date can then make a decision.

Payments shall be handled by the organiser. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Interesting - not too far for me, so may come and spectate, meet some of you and enjoy some fast cars... don't think my 1.0 Ecoboost is worth running! :)

Any largish coastal hotels with big car parks in the area you know off buddy, just thinking ahead for those who want to make a weekend off it and go for a coastal drive the following day. :)

Soldato
Would be interested in coming down to spectate with the missus for the day, maybe even play passenger on a few runs. Does it cost to come down without driving? Its a few hours drive for me so would have to make sure her indoors fancies it but she loves cars and driving. Or is it lads only? :D

Soldato
Seems a waste to try and throw the GT86 down, but I've always wanted to just floor it down a runway (done trackdays at Woodbridge, not quite the same turning in from a sideroad) and I don't really have any experience of launching a car off the line. I'm interested but I'll need to see.

Javelin usually book Woodbridge for a whole weekend, would there be a chance of a trackday before/after the event?

OcUK Staff
OP
Seems a waste to try and throw the GT86 down, but I've always wanted to just floor it down a runway (done trackdays at Woodbridge, not quite the same turning in from a sideroad) and I don't really have any experience of launching a car off the line. I'm interested but I'll need to see.

Javelin usually book Woodbridge for a whole weekend, would there be a chance of a trackday before/after the event?

If enough are interested I can ask about booking it for whole weekend, they can maybe do a group deal or or something like £250 for both days.

1 mile racing is good because you don't need to launch the car, you can just pull of normal in 1st, drop it in 2nd and then go, don't need to risk clutch or transmission damage, though remember an airfield is similar to a road so all you will get is wheelspin which is far less damaging than say wheel hop like you'd get on a quarter mile.

OcUK Staff
OP
Would be interested in coming down to spectate with the missus for the day, maybe even play passenger on a few runs. Does it cost to come down without driving? Its a few hours drive for me so would have to make sure her indoors fancies it but she loves cars and driving. Or is it lads only? :D

I shall find out, I do know one thing for certain, no under 16's will be allowed at the event, its not a family day out, its for the big boys to race.

If you want to bring the other half, then make them fully aware they will be bored if they do not enjoy car chat or watching cars.

Soldato
I shall find out, I do know one thing for certain, no under 16's will be allowed at the event, its not a family day out, its for the big boys to race.

If you want to bring the other half, then make them fully aware they will be bored if they do not enjoy car chat or watching cars.

Thanks. She's 'one of the lads' don't worry about that, she'd drive that m3 for you too! :D

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I'm interested and I would bring the Z4 if i still have it, else the 535d. If I can find someone I trust to drive it up I'd bring both...

Back
Top Bottom