2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers & Internationals ** Spoilers ** [9th - 13th June 2017]

Caporegime
The rule has changed.

If it's a handball or not a genuine challenge for the ball then it's a red card.

He shouldn't have been sent off.

He made a genuine challenge for the ball?

He was noway near it, so can't see a genuine challenge for the ball.

I'm of the opinion he knew what he was doing there, it's a red, all day long.

Caporegime
The rule has changed.

If it's a handball or not a genuine challenge for the ball then it's a red card.

He shouldn't have been sent off.

It wasn't a challenge though so if the ref deems the jump across behind Alli was intending to catch him(as in trying to trip him slyly rather than a straight kick out) then the ref was right to red him. It certainly wasn't a genuine attempt to win the ball and he did take the player down preventing a goal scoring chance. It would be if he made a genuine attempt to win the ball and only caught the player that you would say the ref was directly wrong to give him a red card.

Caporegime
Obviously but the point is the ref doesn't have to give a red if he awards a penalty, where it used to.

Not really, he doesn't have to if he thinks it was a genuine challenge, if he believes it was a deliberate trip/pull/handball then actually he does HAVE to give the red card and the penalty because that is the rule. THe rule is supposed to prevent a double punishment only for those who were genuinely trying to win the ball, not for professional fouls.

Caporegime
You've just stated the rules apparently, you should watch the game and take your own advice.

If you can see a genuine challenge in that passage of play, then i'd also recommend some glasses.

If you read the rules then you'd understand why it should not have been a red card.

If you believe that was a deliberate trip, we will ignore the fact he never broke stride, then I think it's you that require an eye sight examination.

Caporegime
If you read the rules then you'd understand why it should not have been a red card.

If you believe that was a deliberate trip, we will ignore the fact he never broke stride, then I think it's you that require an eye sight examination.

You stated the rules. Show me where the genuine attempt was to win the ball? There wasn't one, neither was it a hand ball, ergo it's a red. Your own comment points to it being a red.

You're quoting the rules that you don't even understand yourself.

Soldato

I've not gone and checked the rules, but if (as you quoted) the rules state that it is a red card unless a genuine attempt was made to play the ball, then the question is whether Varane attempted to play the ball. Clearly he did not, so it is a red card. Whether he deliberately tripped him does not factor into the equation.

Caporegime

https://streamable.com/lw6w1

okay first, he clearly broke stride, look at the replay there, move it to 1/4 speed if you want. Pay attention to the line Varane is running, he's running across him from left to right in the video, and continues in that direction after the contact. But look at his body shape, as he passes Alli, his left leg twists around to make contact, it's actually very deliberate and that replay shows it.

Varane's body and torso should be facing towards the goal line, that is his direction of travel, he slows down and completely twists his torso to bring his left leg across to make contact with Alli. If it was his right leg I could almost believe it was accidental, but precisely because it's the leg on the wrong side and that he had to twist and bring that leg across that makes it deliberate.

It's a correct red card along with a clear as day penalty.

Back
Top Bottom