1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

2019: Adding memory to an overclockers GA-X58A-UD3R system

Discussion in 'Memory' started by comnut, Apr 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. comnut

Associate

***guys, if you do not know the GA-X58A-UD3R , please do not post... ***

I have already asked Kingston, they say they don't support my mobo, and won't even answer the question.. it is 10 years old, the main good thing is it is BEFORE intel let SPECTRE in!! :)

I want to add more dimms to my mobo, and would like to know the success of this, before wasting my very limited money.. :)
    If I had millions, I would not be here, and buy a 4k monitor, graphics, etc, not much change from 20000...

the limit of it is 24G, with six slots.. type is 1.5v DDR3-1600 UDIMM non ecc

if you put in three or six, it will increase the bandwidth by 3..
    if you put in a multiple of two, it will increase the bandwidth by 2..
    If you know what this means in speed/ benchmark it would help, manual does not make it clear..

my main question is, do I need a 'matched pair' (eg 3 sets of 2 x 4g =24) 50 each = 150!

or can I just buy 6 Dimms and plug them in?? 20 each = 120!

anyone out there know??? :)

2. Kelt

Sgarrista

I have 6x4GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz plugged into my X58 UD5, none of them matched, and they work a treat.

Keep to the same manufacturer make and model and you should be fine.

3. MaXxBoulton

Hitman

no ram is the same unless you buy a KIT, but 2 kits may also no match, there is always a revision deliverance a timing may change.

you should try to buy matching sticks.. brand, model, speed and so on...
    test one stick at a time and make a note of the timing they run at, the stick with the loosest timings put in ram slot A1.
    the system will then run all other stick at that sticks speeds and all will be good in the world

you dont have to run 6 sticks, in can just use slots A1 B1 / A2 B2 and get dual channel
    if you use 4gb stick this will give you 16gb in dual channel this is all you need

and TBF you could just rn 3 x 4gb sticks, the platform your running is at the end of its life now i cant see it pushing any game that will use over 12gb

4. KungFuSpaghetti

Hitman

I had a matching set of 6x4GB Kingston 1600mhz in my x58, then I went and bought 2x8GB 2400mhz dimms and ran with 16GB... then I bought two more lots of 2400mhz 16GB kits for a total of 48GB (mobo said 4GB max per dimm) and they were not matching brands or kits or timings, but they ran fine at CL11 at nearly 1900mhz and also ran fine at 1600mhz CL9 no issue. This was an Asus mobo...