2021 F1 changes and cars

Soldato
iMQEnVF.jpg

I couldn't see a thread for this - we've got a good couple of years for the final rules to be agreed and interpreted, evaluated, toys to be thrown out of the pram, leave F1 threats etc so I thought I'd start a new one. F1 concepts here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ts-for-f1s-future.6oFMwkqp1eUumW8qUG0S8k.html

What prompted me was this article or, rather, the English summary that accompanied it on Twitter:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-2021-auto-bilder-infos/

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1047431697514545152

"Some new infos on 2021 F1 cars: Wheelbase set to be limited to 340 cm making cars 20-30 cm shorter than now. Fuel flow to be increased to 110 kg/h which results in louder & more powerful cars (way over 1000hp)."

I was pondering whether the increased fuel flow would benefit the current engine leaders (Ferrari and Mercedes) more than those still struggling to catch up, but then immediately remembered that there are still discussions on changing the engine formula.

Soldato
2021 could be all change for a number of other reasons than techncal specifications.
1 Will MClaren and Williams still be able to afford to compete.
2 Will Ferrari finally give up.
3 Will Mercedes get bored with no competitors.
4 Will Red Bull give up especially if the Honda engine doesn't perform.
5 If the Honda engine doesn't perform will Honda pull out.
6 Will Torro Rosso also give up if Red Bull close the cheque book.

Leaving Renault, Sauber, Haas and Stroll Force India? Who would watch that!
Why bother looking at technical details if there are not likely to be any competitors.
Andi.

Soldato
I’m glad they are not going even more eco. What is the point in motorsport! Sound has been particularly one of the most disappointing things in F1 recently. I really miss the days of a screaming engine winding through 21k rpm.

Caporegime
I’m glad they are not going even more eco. What is the point in motorsport! Sound has been particularly one of the most disappointing things in F1 recently. I really miss the days of a screaming engine winding through 21k rpm.
Go back and listen to the cars in 2014, the first of the V6 turbo era. The cars sound AWFUL. Compare now and then and the cars sound WAY better now.

Most of the power Mercedes and Ferrari are making comes from MGU-H and MGU-K utilisation rather than the ICE itself. Increasing the fuel flow will certainly improve things power and sound wise it's true though and should also mean higher RPM.

Soldato
Go back and listen to the cars in 2014, the first of the V6 turbo era. The cars sound AWFUL. Compare now and then and the cars sound WAY better now.

Most of the power Mercedes and Ferrari are making comes from MGU-H and MGU-K utilisation rather than the ICE itself. Increasing the fuel flow will certainly improve things power and sound wise it's true though and should also mean higher RPM.
I agree. They sound a lot better now and I really hope they improve further. I was at Silverstone this year and I still felt that the experience would have been better if the car had the intensity of the V10 again.

Soldato

I disagree generally. The sound coming from amateurs (recording and streaming from trackside for example) always sounded much better. The difference has come with Liberty's takeover - Bernie wanted the V6 power units to fail; he'd always hated them, and probably out of spite as much as anything FOM somehow managed to make them sound flat and lifeless, completely different to the much more lively sound that amateurs were recording. Since Liberty's takeover the sound of the engines has been slowly getting better and better.

Add to that the V8s were terrible; they were just loud noise and nothing else. The V10s that preceeded them were fantastic though (but you could argue that for a F1 engine in every generation right back to the BRM V16 in the 50s).

Soldato
OP
You can't tell from phone recordings or the TV. I was at the very first test in Jerez for the new V6s, and compared to where they are today (was also at the Barcelona test this year) they've changed significantly. They're a lot louder with more growl now, and the sound is now multidirectional whereas it used to be that you'd hardly hear one if it was driving to wards you and the exhaust was pointing in the opposite direction.

I don't disagree that FOM made the engines sound much worse than they are, but there's no denying that the engine noise today is radically different compared to when they launched.

Permabanned
BREAKING NEWS
2021 car revealed as FIA and F1 present regulations for the future
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ns-for-the-future.3ZkeTsu1sNCrFGP1HI9KVy.html

09.jpg

F1-2021-Car.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

Soldato
I like it. :) But to be honest I’m more interested in how they will perform on the track and while racing each other.

also, reading some of the other changes I’m not sure on the reduced testing, wind tunnel time etc as if someone gets things more right than everyone else, the others don’t have the tools to catch them up. Could go the way of the engine tokens...Of course you could say they just need to do a better job to begin with but that’s easier said than done I guess??

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit in the middle. Fine. I'd lose the bargeboards though.
Diffuser. Yes. Make it bigger.
18" wheels. About time.
Aero flip over the front wheels. Meh...

Front and rear wings. Gopping.

Back
Top Bottom