2021 Season Chilli Growing

Soldato
Did you not want to over winter it, you just cut down to a 9 inch stick and chuck on a window ledge in home, best chillis from plant i find year 2 or 3 for me.

I used to cut down like this but this is my third year with my chillie plant overwintered and I've left the leaves on and it's worked just fine

Thinking about getting some seeds for this season but I prefer plugs

Soldato
Did you not want to over winter it, you just cut down to a 9 inch stick and chuck on a window ledge in home, best chillis from plant i find year 2 or 3 for me.

Too late, I snapped it in half and put it in the composter! Didn't even think to over winter to be honest, I've never done it in the past.

Soldato
I used to cut down like this but this is my third year with my chillie plant overwintered and I've left the leaves on and it's worked just fine

Thinking about getting some seeds for this season but I prefer plugs
Yeh i cut them down for space more than anything, as my chilli plants in there chilli grows can get to like 4 to 6 feet tall or more, so i deffo cant leave as is, also they come back really bushy and loads of lower branches.

Soldato

Absolutely nuts how mild this winter is. This is my cayenne and serano...still maturing fruits, still putting out flowers. They are messy as I've not been to the allotment for a few weeks.

rotters

Soldato
I chucked a random assortment of seeds, chilli, lemon, radish, cucumber, peppers in a prop and the radishes germinated in like 48 hours. Never seen something pop up so quick (ooo, er!)

Soldato
Planted out my selection this afternoon

IMG-20220109-140423.jpg

IMG-20220109-140416.jpg

IMG-20220109-120612-03.jpg

Soldato
Ive been using a heat mat for the past couple of years and its worked great (especially if you already have the propagator trays/lids etc). Can be had for around £15 off Amazon.

I planted some Biquinho, Orange Habaneros, Padrons and Cherry Bombs on Saturday in a heated prop. I planted some Jalaps the weekend before which have just popped up over night.

Soldato
Ive been using a heat mat for the past couple of years and its worked great (especially if you already have the propagator trays/lids etc). Can be had for around £15 off Amazon.

I planted some Biquinho, Orange Habaneros, Padrons and Cherry Bombs on Saturday in a heated prop. I planted some Jalaps the weekend before which have just popped up over night.
Do you leave the heat mat on 24/7? Is putting your propagator next to a radiator just as good so the mats are only worthwhile if that's not an option? Cheers

Soldato
Do you leave the heat mat on 24/7? Is putting your propagator next to a radiator just as good so the mats are only worthwhile if that's not an option? Cheers

Yep heat matt is on 24/7 for the period of germination. I just leave the vents open on my propagator and re-water (if needed).

Radiator might be fine, I just always had access to a matt and get really good germination rates when I've used it so have stuck to that process. Plus in my house the rads aren't on all the time and I didn't want it going warm then cold then warm then cold. Helps keep it at a stable temp 24/7.

Soldato
Well my over wintered 5 yearold Fatalli is sprouting to much for me, so will cut it right back again, also i have taken off like 20 chilli buds, to early in the season, i dont want it to start growing properly until at least April, dont want it loosing all its energy to soon.

20220111-153824.jpg

Soldato
Im always late for the chilly growing but this year i want to get
Them
Planted earlier on

what
Else do u all
Plant this early?

Soldato
Heated mats are a great idea but i do have one of them propagator things with a plug
Not even sure it works
Either case do u think they draw much energy usage?

Soldato
Well my over wintered 5 yearold Fatalli is sprouting to much for me, so will cut it right back again, also i have taken off like 20 chilli buds, to early in the season, i dont want it to start growing properly until at least April, dont want it loosing all its energy to soon.

20220111-153824.jpg
Looks awesome. Got a tree trunk going on there! Do you keep it in the pot all year round?

Back
Top Bottom