2021 Season Chilli Growing

Caporegime
Once you guys have some germinated seeds, do any of you plant say 2 or 3 in the same pot (once big enough) or do you give them all their own pots?

plants should only co-exist in a pot long enough to find the winner, the final resting place should be solitary.

when your potting up if you make previous winners fight in the same pot they probably end up both growing slower than they would in their own pots without root space competition.

Soldato
plants should only co-exist in a pot long enough to find the winner, the final resting place should be solitary.

when your potting up if you make previous winners fight in the same pot they probably end up both growing slower than they would in their own pots without root space competition.

Roger that.

Soldato
Ive been using a heat mat for the past couple of years and its worked great (especially if you already have the propagator trays/lids etc). Can be had for around £15 off Amazon.

I planted some Biquinho, Orange Habaneros, Padrons and Cherry Bombs on Saturday in a heated prop. I planted some Jalaps the weekend before which have just popped up over night.

I've heard good things about those heat mats. I would've bought a heated propagator, but already bought a set of non heated windowsill propagators. There's a few windowsill sized heatmats for sale, but they're about £35.

Soldato
My first lot of seedlings are growing quite tall. They have been on a window cill during the day and back in the warm prop over night.
Should i just keep these in the current soil or pot on now do you think?
PXL-20220112-082518746-MP.jpg

Caporegime
I've heard good things about those heat mats. I would've bought a heated propagator, but already bought a set of non heated windowsill propagators. There's a few windowsill sized heatmats for sale, but they're about £35.
your modem probably gets about the right heat ;) position 2 books or tubs either side and have your propagator going over it like a bridge to capture the heat.

I thought you only need the heat to speed up germination then as long as it's not cold enough to make frost and damage the plants it's fine?

I've never had any seedlings die on a 15-20c windowsill, I germinate them there too.

I've tried the airing/boiler cupboard a few times and I think it just increases the risk of mould and doesn't really speed anything up with heat.

I wonder if heated propagators are more for colder places like sheds/greenhouses than indoors or just a gimmick

Soldato
I think they are purely for speeding up germination and getting more consistent results. You shouldn't use them once they've germinated iirc.
I've got some seedlings sat on top of my heated prop now (rather than in it) which is on a windowsill.

Soldato
yup as soon as they pop there heads out of the compost, straight out of propagator for me, as long as the temp dont go below 10c there be fine, in most houses thats not a issue, in our house at least 19/20c anyway, even at night in a bat window still stays over 16c through the night.

Soldato
My first lot of seedlings are growing quite tall. They have been on a window cill during the day and back in the warm prop over night.
Should i just keep these in the current soil or pot on now do you think?
PXL-20220112-082518746-MP.jpg

I'd pot on now. If they are a bit leggy you can plant them a bit deeper in the new pots. Always worked for me.

Soldato
I Got some seeds today and the propagator that's been in my greenhouse for 8 years plus actually works!! FTW!

Are you all starting to plant the seeds now? Need to find a space to put the propagator though in the home it is a bit tacky.

Caporegime
It seems way too early right now, I'm waiting for feb.

soaked all my plant pots in a 10% bleech solution earlier though and rinsed them off ready.

Last edited:
Caporegime
wilkos got the gardening range in store already in my local one.

picked up some compost but will hold off germinating anything for a few weeks

Soldato
Going to start planning this year’s growing. Got a really healthy Aji Limon and a Habanero which need pruning and re-potting after their second season which should be a good start.
Jalapeño and Padrons need to go in for sure. I need a good stock for candied chillies!

Soldato
Got a decent selection of jalapenos, padrons, habaneros, big bombs and biquinhos that have germinated and are growing pretty well. Gave a few to family members and going to keep some for myself. Moving house this weekend so just need to make sure I transport them carefully!

Soldato
At what stage would you guys start introducing a feed like Chilli Focus to your watering?

I don't bother feeding them until they're in their final pots and flowering.

I've had a decent germination rate. I only did 10 seeds this year, 5 Tabasco and 5 Scorpion and 4 of each have come up.

Soldato
Ive grown a number of sweet pepper plants over the year
They hardly ever grow but when they do
Something horrible in the greenhouse always ends up attacking them despite having every spray i have ever owned

What is the fix for this? Am i buying the wrong sprays?

Soldato
Attacking them and then they always die
Never seen one recover in 4 years now
And my cherry tree well that had one cherry in 5 years something like black flies always attack that

Back
Top Bottom