• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080 Ti Ventus fan noise issue

Associate
Hello,

I purchased a 2080 Ti Ventus.

First of all, I received a non-OC model even though I ordered an OC model. The only difference is a small sticker on one side of the box, MSI should differentiate the packaging more than that. Be careful if you order this model.

I have a fan issue with it. When I first installed the card, it was very quiet.

I let it run some calculations overnight and now one of the fans is making a friction (?) noise. It is not rattling. It is a "shhhhh" noise, as if a part of the fan was constantly rubbing against another part. It sounds like a lack of lubrication.

It does it at any speed, even when I manually spin the fan.

I tried removing the fan and putting some oil on the sides and in it (by removing the sticker on the back), but it didn't change anything.

It is the 3rd card I order and I am very tired of RMA processes, I need this card for work. First one (Gigabyte Gaming) had a "dishwasher" sound problem, second one (Gainward GS) never arrived ("lost" in transit).

Is there any way to fix this so that I don't have to send it back?

Thanks

Soldato
Some fan noise/rubbing comes from deformation of the shroud and cooler. Graphics card sag can cause it.

Have you tried stopping the fans to see which one is rubbing? Does it stop if you lift the card a little? Also try running the fans at different speeds and with them orientated vertically (put the PC on its side).

Associate
OP
Some fan noise/rubbing comes from deformation of the shroud and cooler. Graphics card sag can cause it.

Have you tried stopping the fans to see which one is rubbing? Does it stop if you lift the card a little? Also try running the fans at different speeds and with them orientated vertically (put the PC on its side).

Well, the card is brand new (2 days), not really deformed or sagging.

I have confirmed that it is the left fan (the one closest to the rear IO). It seems to be a bearing noise, one of the balls must be too big or something... The noise is there even with the card out of the PC, in every orientation.

Anyway, I can't seem to be able to fix this, so I am sending it for a replacement. I hope I get the OC model this time, but a working one will do at this point...

Associate
OP
Don't "hope", ensure you inform the retailer of their initial error and to remind them to deliver what you ordered and paid for.
I "told" Amazon (via RMA form) that they sent me the wrong card. But I doubt anyone reads those...

Lessons learned: 1 - Do not order PC parts from Amazon, even if they are cheaper 2 - You might as well buy a high-end model if it means you won't have to RMA...

Associate
OP
"Lessons learned: 1 - Do not order PC parts from Amazon, even if they are cheaper" , ya think ? lol how much did you pay for that card ?
I paid 1099€ on Amazon and got the MSI Ventus non-OC. Average price seems to be around 1180€ on other sites for the non-OC model, and 1250€ for the OC model.

Soldato
I "told" Amazon (via RMA form) that they sent me the wrong card. But I doubt anyone reads those...

Lessons learned: 1 - Do not order PC parts from Amazon, even if they are cheaper 2 - You might as well buy a high-end model if it means you won't have to RMA...

Give them a call on their 0800 number, talk to a representative, get their name and get them to email you the confirmation that you will get what you ordered...is what I would do.

Associate
OP
Wow lol, yet only three games run RTX right , fingers crossed you dont get any space invaders either
I use this card for work. I need the VRAM and tensor cores can double the speed of my workflow. It will pay for itself.
Gaming is a nice bonus (ray tracing is not its only selling point, 4k 60 fps ultra settings or 1440p 144Hz gaming also is).

Give them a call on their 0800 number, talk to a representative, get their name and get them to email you the confirmation that you will get what you ordered...is what I would do.
Thanks for the advice, I will try that.

Associate
OP
I spoke to someone via Amazon Chat. At least I have a written confirmation that they told a person to give me the correct item...

Associate
OP
No, me neither. Just wanted more power. I don't give a monkeys about a reflection I probably won't see, but I do give a monkeys about extra performance in the more traditional way over what I already had.

Plus, I already said it's for work... This card is actually a good value for compute, especially in machine learning, since tensor cores can double your performance. My lab is starting to use them in our cluster since we can't really find 1080 Tis anymore.

Next best things are Titan RTX and Tesla V100, but they are way more expensive and don't deliver that much more performance, so they're not really worth the price.

Associate
So for your use case, well worth using. That's exactly it, if you get one hoping for RTX goodness, that isn't going to come for another generation or two and you'll be disappointed. But if your use case scenario warrants it, then it's worth having. I got the performance uplift I was after, you get your compute performance.

If you're not going to get anything significant, you just don't buy one. Simples.

Back
Top Bottom