21:9 - 2560 x 1080 @34" - Daily use?

Associate
Can anyone with experience comment on the PPI in relation to browsing web pages etc and general daily use for home?

Nothing productive.

Thanks.

Hi. I've used an LG 34UM65 1080P for the last couple of years. To be honest, it was fine just for browsing and whatnot. The text is fairly pixelated though by 2017 standards, but how much that bothers you will be up to you - although I will say it's not as bad as some suggest. If you've ever seen a 1080P 27" monitor then it looks the same as that in terms of sharpness, and marginally less sharp than a 23". I've just upgraded to a 1440P model and can say that I find it considerably better, however, it was considerably more expensive too.

Associate
Thanks for the reply.

Have been using a 27" 1080p for the last year so I do not think it will be a problem.

Yeah I went from a 27" to the 34" and it was no problem. It's only recently I've wanted more.

ETA: One thing you will definitely appreciate is the split screen capabilities. Its much more like having 2 square monitors in one screen.

Soldato
I've tried a 29" 2560x1080 display recently, it's a nice display, the colours are good, but the PPI is the issue. It's just way too low. It would be so much worse at 34".

Last edited:
Associate
My laptop is about 300, and my iPad pro is about 260, so I might be a little bit biased against "low" PPI displays.
You don't normally sit a foot away from a large monitor though so the comparison is moot.

Stating that something would be too low for desktop for desktop use is totally subjective. A mate of mine deliberately didn't go for a higher res display as his eyesight isn't as good. Other people may do it simply because they aren't bothered. It's a very individual thing. It DID bother me in the end, so I upgraded, but I had no real problems other than my personal desire to want more real estate, greater sharpness etc.

Soldato
You don't normally sit a foot away from a large monitor though so the comparison is moot.

Stating that something would be too low for desktop for desktop use is totally subjective. A mate of mine deliberately didn't go for a higher res display as his eyesight isn't as good. Other people may do it simply because they aren't bothered. It's a very individual thing. It DID bother me in the end, so I upgraded, but I had no real problems other than my personal desire to want more real estate, greater sharpness etc.

I actually do sit around a foot away from my monitors.

I think it's less about subjectivity, and more about what you get used to. Lower PPI displays can and will look fine, until you get used to a higher PPI display, then you suddenly notice how low resolution it looks.

Associate
I actually do sit around a foot away from my monitors.

I think it's less about subjectivity, and more about what you get used to. Lower PPI displays can and will look fine, until you get used to a higher PPI display, then you suddenly notice how low resolution it looks.

Surely you don't sit as close to your big monitor than you do a tablet or laptop???

If you really do, I doubt you'd be happy with anything shy of 4K. That's not most people though...

Soldato
Then you're sitting too close. 29" UW will look fine, higher DPI.

You don't need mobile phone PPI on a monitor.

Too close isn't really a thing. However, I can sit 2 feet away, 100 PPI still isn't "enough" now that I'm used to high PPI displays.

Surely you don't sit as close to your big monitor than you do a tablet or laptop???

If you really do, I doubt you'd be happy with anything shy of 4K. That's not most people though...

It depends, it's probably around the same. It isn't quite as obvious how big the difference is between them though until you get used to using high PPI displays. You don't have to be able to see the individual pixels to actually notice a huge difference in resolution.

Soldato
It all depends on how far away you sit from it.

I find my 55 inch 1080p oled is fine, but then I sit across the other side of the room from it.

If I sit as close as I do to my monitor, it doesn't look so clever.

Personally, I would aim for 1440p on a pc monitor of that size.

Man of Honour
Baring in mind I use 1440p on my main monitor but I find the 1080 vertical resolution a bit limiting on my UW.

It depends, it's probably around the same. It isn't quite as obvious how big the difference is between them though until you get used to using high PPI displays. You don't have to be able to see the individual pixels to actually notice a huge difference in resolution.

A lot of people don't use display scaling like I'm assuming you do so won't notice it quite the same.

Associate
Too close isn't really a thing. However, I can sit 2 feet away, 100 PPI still isn't "enough" now that I'm used to high PPI displays.

You must have square eyes :D

I've just got myself an X34A, and because of the stand, it sits a lot closer than I would like, kind of similar to what you probably describe and I don't find it overly comfortable viewing from that distance. That being said, despite being used to QHD phones of 5.5 to 6-inch and my Pixel C tablet which probably near as dammit 300 DPI, I still find the monitor looks fine. No, it's not AS sharp, but you could hardly call it blocky either.

It really doesn't bother me, and its a good job, at £800 the X34 is expensive enough, and finding a monitor with 300+ DPI is pretty much impossible I would have thought.

However, all of this is moot if the OP is happy enough with 1080P and who are we to tell them they are wrong? In many respects, I wish I wasn't as fussy as I am, let alone as fussy as you :p

Soldato
Baring in mind I use 1440p on my main monitor but I find the 1080 vertical resolution a bit limiting on my UW.

A lot of people don't use display scaling like I'm assuming you do so won't notice it quite the same.
Oh yeah, I definitely use scaling. But it's also because I am generally used to high PPI displays.

I used to think 100 PPI was sharp as hell. When I got my first wide-screen monitor, a Dell 2407. I thought the resolution and sharpness excellent.

It was because I was used to lower resolution displays, at the time the norm was probably 1024x768 at 15", using absolutely awful TN panels that smeared more than an ape having a tantrum.

But now, my iPad pro display is lowest PPI display I use on a regular basis, AND I'm not even hugely impressed with the sharpness of it. I can actually quite easily see the pixels in certain areas, and text isn't as sharp as I'm used to, at normal viewing distances.

Because I'm used to displays that have over 300 PPI. The last 4 phones I've had have been over 500 PPI, my laptop is about 300, my previous 2 laptops were about 200 PPI, or more. So anything substantially less ends up looking really quite poor by comparison.

It also doesn't help at all that I do graphic design, which means my eyes are drawn to details like that. I find the pentile matrix quite obviously visible on anything but my S8+. I don't even have good eyesight, I've got astigmatism and need glasses for anything more than a metre away to see clearly.

Soldato
29" 2560x1080 is practically the same PPI as a 24" 1920x1080 display - 96ppi vs 94ppi. They are both acceptable but there should be no doubt that displays with a higher PPI are noticeable sharper and better to look at as a result. i flip flop between a 29" 2560x1080 ultra wide and a 34" 3440x1440 Uw and honestly the 34" is sharper than the increase to 110ppi would suggest. It's a clear difference. 27" 1920x1080 and 34" 2560x1080 also have the same PPI - 82, so that's on it's way to being the same difference in PPI but in the wrong direction. I had a 27" 1920x1080 panel and i didnt mind it at first but now when i see those panels in use at work, they are SO soft in comparison to my 34" UW.

Associate
29" 2560x1080 is practically the same PPI as a 24" 1920x1080 display - 96ppi vs 94ppi. They are both acceptable but there should be no doubt that displays with a higher PPI are noticeable sharper and better to look at as a result. i flip flop between a 29" 2560x1080 ultra wide and a 34" 3440x1440 Uw and honestly the 34" is sharper than the increase to 110ppi would suggest. It's a clear difference. 27" 1920x1080 and 34" 2560x1080 also have the same PPI - 82, so that's on it's way to being the same difference in PPI but in the wrong direction. I had a 27" 1920x1080 panel and i didnt mind it at first but now when i see those panels in use at work, they are SO soft in comparison to my 34" UW.

I totally agree with what you say. Have to say though if you are used to 1080 on a large screen, its good on a 21:9, same sharpness but better real estate. The upgrade to 1440 is worth it (it's great, in fact), but only really if you have nothing better to spend it on!

Back
Top Bottom