21:9 monitors has anyone got one

Associate
75hz is the max you will get without the input not support poping up ;)
make add another resolution 72hz :) for perfect judder free bluray playback ;)

so the aoc 29inch is worth getting, plus can i do this on one gtx780 connected via the display port,how is the build quality on these as i heard the bezel are a little flimsy, plus what do you reckon is the sweet spot, res and hz which is easy to get for a novice, plus would the LG version of 29 inch i think model ea93 or something be a good buy as the max hz in description says 56hz-75hz

Soldato
so the aoc 29inch is worth getting, plus can i do this on one gtx780 connected via the display port,how is the build quality on these as i heard the bezel are a little flimsy, plus what do you reckon is the sweet spot, res and hz which is easy to get for a novice, plus would the LG version of 29 inch i think model ea93 or something be a good buy as the max hz in description says 56hz-75hz

Yes it says that but that only means max 75hz at 1280x1024 same goes for my other monitor it says a high 85hz but will only do that in the none native resolutions.

but you can force with custom res util a native res of 2560x1080p @75hz
without the popup.
with the popup and a fix to get rid of it you can get a 3.5k resolution of 3440x1440p @60hz sync`d....
i would also suggest if you only want to add 75hz as the max i would recommend adding 72hz for judder free 24fps bluray playback :) but if you do want to add the 100hz then you dont need to add the 72hz as 100hz is a multiple of 23.976 anyway or close to it :D

--------------------------------------

i have tested the 100hz mode out in a few games and movies and there silky smooth and that goes for 75hz aswell.
and displayport is fine as thats what i currently am using.

--------------------------------------

this monitor is perfect for movies and internet and outstanding for games that support the res.
and the picture quality @native in games is fantastic, i highly recommend dishonored as your first game to test as that game supports the 21.9 aspect ratio and also select 100hz fov in game settings :)
the monitor i got does not have any issues what so ever i thought at first i had massive backlight bleeding but its not at all, from what people say its called IPS glow. and its not bad at all to be honest and does not affect me on pure black screens anymore as i found in the service menu backlight settings :D

one other thing that im going to test out i beleve this monitor can do 120hz @ native but only by using dual dvi as i think this monitor is limited in pixel clock via displayport as the hardware it uses is using displayport 1.1a spec wich has a 330pixelclock mhz limit.
and the patch thats out there at the mo does not remove displayport limits only dual dvi and hdmi.
further testing to commence when i find my dual dvi cable...... havent used that type of cable in a age lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a shame i was trying to find a way to modify the monitors edid

you can modify the edid, you can extract the edid and modify it, though i dont think there is a way to reflash the edid to the monitor but you can convert the edid to a monitor.inf file that you install in windows and it overrides the edid ;)

Soldato
OP
you can modify the edid, you can extract the edid and modify it, though i dont think there is a way to reflash the edid to the monitor but you can convert the edid to a monitor.inf file that you install in windows and it overrides the edid ;)

Anychance you can help with that i tried extracting it before but the program said it was an invalid edid :/

Soldato
Anychance you can help with that i tried extracting it before but the program said it was an invalid edid :/

give me a email address and i will email you the edid.bin ;)
edit ok there is a easier way, download custom resolution util ... click on your monitor as active monitor and then click on the pulldown and select EXPORT, then select datfile.dat, name the file and save ;) then you can open it will EDID manager and edit it ;)
once you have your monitor inf file you can also go and grab the latest monitor driver from AOC as it comes with a preoptimized color.icm file look at the driver inf file and add the strings to yours from the official inf driver so that you can add the optimized color profile and then once done install your driver and it will install the optimized color profile to :D

Actually come to think of it i dont even think a lot of people know about the better colors you can get from downloading that optimized color .icm file ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
give me a email address and i will email you the edid.bin ;)
edit ok there is a easier way, download custom resolution util ... click on your monitor as active monitor and then click on the pulldown and select EXPORT, then select datfile.dat, name the file and save ;) then you can open it will EDID manager and edit it ;)
once you have your monitor inf file you can also go and grab the latest monitor driver from AOC as it comes with a preoptimized color.icm file look at the driver inf file and add the strings to yours from the official inf driver so that you can add the optimized color profile and then once done install your driver and it will install the optimized color profile to :D

Actually come to think of it i dont even think a lot of people know about the better colors you can get from downloading that optimized color .icm file ;)

Cool thanks

Soldato
got 120fps working guys ;)
though you still have to enable product mode to get rid of the input not support mesage ;)
but the monitor is fully capable (even if there is frame skipping i cant see it in movies and games and on desktop :D

0tbw.png

Soldato
OP
got 120fps working guys ;)
though you still have to enable product mode to get rid of the input not support mesage ;)
but the monitor is fully capable (even if there is frame skipping i cant see it in movies and games and on desktop :D

0tbw.png

I thought modding the driver/edid would get rid of that message?

Associate
Just got a Dell U2913WM a week ago. Little odd at first, but you soon adjust to it and for games its really great (as long as they support it properly). A game like Borderlands 2 really looks nice, and Battlefield 4! I have had some games flat out refuse or crash though trying to run at 2560x1080.

Soldato
Just got a Dell U2913WM a week ago. Little odd at first, but you soon adjust to it and for games its really great (as long as they support it properly). A game like Borderlands 2 really looks nice, and Battlefield 4! I have had some games flat out refuse or crash though trying to run at 2560x1080.

more taxing on the graphics card... or if your overclocking high res can be prone to crashing out lol, i would suggest that for everyone that overclocks there cards at a res then upgrades or goes higher res, retune your overclock as you will fine once you where stable now your quite not stable especially for people that are pushing there cards to the brink.

Associate
Oh it's not instability. I am using a 680, no overclocks. It's just some games refuse to support it or are incompatible. 2560x1080 is an odd aspect ratio. The resolution is not supported on Starcraft 2 by design as well for example -as it's considered a 'cheat' by Blizzard. Diablo 3 supports it but not all menus look correct, the character selection screen has assets that do not fully extend the width. I tried Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and it freezes on the intro video. Counter-Strike Global Offensive works but some menus are off-screen. Even Battlefield 4 isn't perfect. The chat window is clipped off at the end of matches. Bioshock Infinite is perfect. Borderlands 2 is near perfect but things like flashes from damage do not extend past 16:9. Just odd quirks you notice.

Soldato
Oh it's not instability. I am using a 680, no overclocks. It's just some games refuse to support it or are incompatible. 2560x1080 is an odd aspect ratio. The resolution is not supported on Starcraft 2 by design as well for example -as it's considered a 'cheat' by Blizzard. Diablo 3 supports it but not all menus look correct, the character selection screen has assets that do not fully extend the width. I tried Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and it freezes on the intro video. Counter-Strike Global Offensive works but some menus are off-screen. Even Battlefield 4 isn't perfect. The chat window is clipped off at the end of matches. Bioshock Infinite is perfect. Borderlands 2 is near perfect but things like flashes from damage do not extend past 16:9. Just odd quirks you notice.

Try Flawless widescreen fella. Fixes quite a few games out there that have issues with 21:9, including both those games you mention.
Of the games I'm currently playing most work 100% fine natively, or if not then FW sorts it.

Fellow Dell 29er by the way. It's a lovely screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought modding the driver/edid would get rid of that message?

Not sure that would work to get rid of it is on hardware/firmware level. we need to be able to get the firmware ripped out and then modified then reflashed.
im not saying its impossible but i think its a no go for a perm fix.... unless someone knows about this type of stuff.
though thinking about it if we could get the edid uploaded to the monitor with the correct resolutions then yes that could work but not sure how to flash the monitors edid.

Associate
I wish there was a list of 21:9 screens somewhere with overclockability @ native res.

I wouldnt buy one for 60hz as I got a 60hz 32" screen but at 100fps id go for it.

Edit: This screen goes up to 72hz but it introduces frame skipping at 61hz and up so you really cant.

Soldato
OP
I wish there was a list of 21:9 screens somewhere with overclockability @ native res.

I wouldnt buy one for 60hz as I got a 60hz 32" screen but at 100fps id go for it.

Edit: This screen goes up to 72hz but it introduces frame skipping at 61hz and up so you really cant.

Depends on the cable to get frame skipping and 61hz?

Soldato
well, i'm gonna chime in here and say they're awesome for movies and gaming, but not so much for office work - i'm really missing the vertical resolution with 2560x1080.

Personally I found them to be great for office work, I got the Dell 29" on release and the way you can stack two windows side by side and work like your using a pair of 1280x1024 screens is great.

Do 21:9 screens finally enable movies to be played without black bars?

Yup, I watched the new Hobbit bluray on mine because without the bars it looked cooler than on the 16:9 TV lol.

Soldato
Are you getting any frame skipping at 100Hz? Take a picture of that frame skipping test using a camera as per the instructions.

I have some pictures incoming for you and at 100hz it is skipping frames and at 85 hz its not so bad but i think still present.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/028e2i68vhh35ic/FNo5GpPfDL

the last 2 pics are at 85hz others are at 100hz, will this be a problem when gaming at these settings?

ps i now have this monitor too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom