240GB SSD to MX500 500GB - what cloning software?

Soldato
Hi.

I never cloned before and I would usually freshly install windows but I can't be bothered this time haha. So what is the best free software to use? I've heard that crucials version isn't too good.

Associate
Great.

Is it easy to to? Is there anything I should know that won't trip me up?

There won't any diminishment in performance by cloning?

Wont lose any performance nope, and very easy. Simply install Macrium whilst you have both SSD's plugged into your PC, then select the primary drive to clone from, and then the drive to clone to, tick on "Copy Partitions" and then it's basically next next finish. You'll see the progress bar fill up, will take a little while, but once it's done simply unplug the old SSD and it should auto-boot to the new one :)

Soldato
Did a migration the other day and just used the copy of Acronis you can get through Crucial. Supposed to be used for migrating to their SSDs (which you are) but having one attached in an external enclosure I was able to download and clone from a 128GB Sandisk SATA SSD to a 250GB Samsung NVME drive without issues.

APM

APM

Associate
Using Macrium is like falling off a log,really is very easy to use.
You can always try a dry run with it before you use in in earnest.

Soldato
I did this just the other night. Have always been a bit old school and gone for the clean install but Win10 does not need it. Cloned an old Crucial M4 onto an MX500 using Acronis and it was easy. Just swapped the drives over once cloned and job done.

Back
Top Bottom