25,000 miles a year in comfort (and on a budget)

Soldato
Hello Motors, some advice please?

I'm looking at quite a considerable commute which would involve getting to know the M5 very well. Whilst the 911 is great, I don't really want to be racking up the miles on that, and let's be honest I might actually have to buy a car with a roof for a change.

I've pretty much ruled out a new lease/EV owing to the high mileage which I presume will make the contract expensive - educate me if I'm wrong!

I'd rather not spend more than £5000, but could stretch that a bit if there was something really worth considering. I don't want to have to sell the 911 to fund this. High mileage cars are a given and I'm not particularly worried about this. This is not going to be a family heirloom.

I'm looking at things like the W212 E class which seems comfortable, affordable and boring. The coupe is slightly nicer looking, but not sure it's worth spending the money on. I'm slightly sad that the 90's Mercedes cars are so expensive at the moment as it would be fun to get something like a 500SEL/SEC.

There are the usual suspects like the Passat and Octavia which might get a slightly newer car, but probably not quite as comfortable as the Mercedes.

Japanese might be more reliable, but are they attracting scene tax at the moment?

TL: DR - £5000 sofa on wheels

Thank you!

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
Wow!

So yea one of those then provided they are reliable, I've no knowledge of these reliability wise?

Edit: not the modified one.

Soldato
I'm quite surprised at just how cheap some of those luxo barges are. Not popular I suppose, and not cheap to fix if they go bang.
Always decent amount of kit for the money. People avoid them because of the usual 7 series, s class etc problems but lexus in general is known to go for ever without any real issues. I know a few people who run gs300 and 450h at 200k+ miles and they just keep on going with general servicing and some basic repairs.

Back
Top Bottom