1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£250,000 a year for life!

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by HEADRAT, May 24, 2006.

1. HEADRAT

Capodecina

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5010888.stm

So Melissa Miller can keep the £5m and also gets £250,000 a year for life!

So she chose to give up her high flying career and have a family, now she has broken up with her hubby she expects to be kept in the manner she had become accustomed.

This seems to me like women can have their cake and eat it.

HEADRAT

2. AJUK

Man of Honour

No wonder the bloodsucking bitches are smiling in those pictures. What a disgrace.

3. Indy500

Capodecina

Sometimes I wonder whether women marry and divorce purely to leech..

4. SCM

Hitman

Mellisa Miller got the £5 million settlement it was the other woman who got the £250k for life as well as a settlement.

SCM

5. VIRII

PermaBanned

It would be far, far, far cheaper to have her assassinated.

What bothers me is this :

When I got married it was for richer or poorer and for life. If the judge recognises that she went into the marriage expecting to become wealthy then is it not also possible that she went into the marriage purely for the money, that her vows were just lies and that she fully expected to divorce to grab the cash?

I think the other case where they were married for 20 odd years is a bit different but the Miller case is gobsmacking.
    Rich men simply won't get married in future.

6. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Ah indeed, my bad!

But £250K for life would take quite some earning!

HEADRAR

7. Yas786

Caporegime

Hmmm christ time to get a sex op change and bag me a rich hubby :p.

This is where pre-nup's come in handy fellas, i would have no second thoughts about drawing one up if i felt my missus was nothing more than a money grabbing bint. But thankfully i havent got that worry, my gf knows that my money is my money and her money is also mine :D.

I agree with Virii, i dont think rich guys will get married in the future...not with this downright silly ruling. Hell if i was that rich, i know i wouldnt be getting married anytime soon.

EDIT: Doesnt bode too well for Paul McCartney and his impending divorce from another bloodsucking bint that was his wife lol:p.

Mind you i hope the bint loses it all by someone advising her to invest it...and in turn it turns out to be a bad investment:p

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  8. SCM

Hitman

Pre nups in this country aren't legally binding as of yet i dont believe reading the comments on the bbc webby to this news item at least.

SCM

9. Indy500

Capodecina

Good thing my other half is the opposite of a leecher...hell, she even pays my phone bills when I call her (very hypocritical of me to accept the money, I know)

10. Rich_L

Capodecina

Devil's Advocate:

If he didn't want to cough up that money he shouldn't have committed adultery in the first place.

11. Indy500

Capodecina

Fair enough, but I dont think that should be used to blackmail the guy for his money.

12. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

If you insist, although I shant ask you what your sexist interpretation of the affectation 'having cake and eating it' means, unless this story has something to do with cake and this case represents all women in general

13. VIRII

PermaBanned

Why not? Maybe she was holding out on him in order to force him into an affair?

14. SCM

Hitman

Who knows what happened she might have changed completely once married and become a total nutter for all we know, hence the affair. Or her true personality became apparant and all she was looking for was an easy meal ticket.

SCM

15. AJUK

Man of Honour

LOL. :D

Imagine how many hookers 250k a year will get you, high class ones at that!

There is a lesson here for us fellas. Don't get married.

16. Rich_L

Capodecina

I would suspect in both cases when coming to their judgements the judges knew a great deal more about what happened than anyone here.

17. VIRII

PermaBanned

Quite possibly but the passage I quoted from the Judge said the payment was because of her expectations of accumulating wealth via the marriage.

In other words he gave her the money because he felt that a part of the reason for getting married was to be rich. Should we be rewarding people for entering into marriage with financial gain as the motive?

18. Indy11

Gangster

But it also was noted that

So it would seem that the usual common law rule of what was earned during the marital estate being the subject of redistribution upon divorce was being applied.

Also, Miller, especially, could have protected himself with a prenuptial agreement which, it would seem, he didn't, and this was an "at fault" divorce ... in that Miller had committed adultery.

My guess is that a lot of that 17MM was made during the marriage so it was fair game for the Mrs. to go after a piece of it.

19. VIRII

PermaBanned

Yup you might well be right. I had noticed the wording the judge had used there but I felt it unlikely that literally tens of millions had been made in the short space of time or that she had anything to do with it. Especially as it seems she married him in order to get rich.

20. anarchist

PermaBanned

No, doesn't look good for Paul McCartney does it... He's worth about 800 million apparently!