£250 budget phone suggestion

Associate
What's the update situation like for the Honor 9 (how quickly does it get security updates and what commitements to OS/security updates do Huawei make?)
Also, how much extra overlay is there on top of the standard Android experience is there? Having had a Nexus and a Moto Zplay I'm used to and quite like the standard Android experience.

Soldato
Also in a similar predicament, but £100 or so less. Currently have a Smart Ultra 6 I think I've had for about 3 years now, currently stuck between the Honor 9 Lite and Moto G6 which you can from various places for about £149...

Soldato
No idea sorry, my HTC 10 Evo was only £109 so took the risk.

I've just ordered the Pixel by the way, will cross the warranty bridge when it comes to it...maybe I'm just lucky but I've never once had to return a faulty phone.

Associate
EGlobal Central UK, used them a few times, I paid the extra for shipping and it came with in about 4/5 days via DPD :)
Thanks again. Just ordered a Moto G6 Plus for £242.19 from that site.
I was waiting on the checkout page and popup came up with a promotion saying if you check out now we will knock £5 off your order. Which they did. Exitgrabber code (Chkout5)

Associate
Wow, it's still not been dispatched despite being ordered Monday afternoon. EGlobal Central UK is Cheap site but not anyone who wants their order in a reasonable timeframe.
I ordered a case for my pixel 2lx from amazon.com at the same time. That came from San Antonio in 2 days :confused:

Associate
Also in a similar predicament, but £100 or so less. Currently have a Smart Ultra 6 I think I've had for about 3 years now, currently stuck between the Honor 9 Lite and Moto G6 which you can from various places for about £149...

Moved from Smart Ultra 6 to Honor 9 Lite. No problems at all. I'm assuming you have the same requirements as I had (decent battery life, decent camera, memrory card etc). No regrets at all for what I paid

Soldato
Bought a grey Honor 9 Lite from Carphone Warehouse earlier in the week, reduced from £199 to £149. Bargain. But it went out of stock just as I ordered due to popularity, however it will come back into stock and be shipped early August. Can't wait to get it.

Associate
Bought a grey Honor 9 Lite from Carphone Warehouse earlier in the week, reduced from £199 to £149. Bargain. But it went out of stock just as I ordered due to popularity, however it will come back into stock and be shipped early August. Can't wait to get it.

you can pick one up from ebay (new) from as little as £125.

Associate
Wow, it's still not been dispatched despite being ordered Monday afternoon. EGlobal Central UK is Cheap site but not anyone who wants their order in a reasonable timeframe.
I ordered a case for my pixel 2lx from amazon.com at the same time. That came from San Antonio in 2 days :confused:
Still not delivered. They created the UPS label on Friday 20th and told me it was going to be delivered on Monday 23rd. Guess what, no delivery. I messaged UPS and they say they went to pick up the package but it was not available for collection.
My best guess is they are out of stock and are trying to buy time by creating shipping labels for stock they don't have.
I messaged them yesterday and today with no response, wonder why :D So glad I paid with Paypal, I have now opened a dispute. Hopefully get a refund and go elsewhere.
I will not be using these again. Wish I had just gone to Carphone warehouse now. Lesson learnt. :)

Soldato
I don't really believe that is the case, I've looked into chinese phones a lot recently and there is always one feature missing that I need, for example with the Redmi Note 5 it's aptx and NFC support, NFC in particular is pretty essential these days, other chinese phones can have issues with 4G depending on your network as well.

The Note 5 supports aptx as it's part of the Snapdragon 636 chipset. It's in the developer options.

What do you use NFC for that's essential? I've literally never used it. Apple Pay?

The only genuine reason not to consider phones from China is the warranty issue. That's why you're paying £200+ for Moto G6 with the same specifications as Chinese phones from two years ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom