• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2600k hitting 90 degrees at stock.

Soldato
OP
I have just reset the CMOS by removing the battery and temps have dropped to 76-80 under load. However the CPU is still at x35 and 100.3 Bus Speed. Should this not be x34/x38 and 100.0?

Soldato
I'm now idling at 70, this is stupid. I just took of the side panel and pushed the cooler down onto the CPU, nothing moved but the motherboard and temps stayed the same.

What app are you using to measure temps? Also check what temp it's reading in bios during idle and check if that corresponds with what ever app you are using.

Associate
No one's specifically asked so worth checking but but did you apply fresh thermal paste, or are you using the stock HSF attached stuff. If you've removed the HSF to reseat you will also need to replace this.

Soldato
With my i7 2600k I have just changed from my H100 back to stock cooler to find under prime95 it hits around 92 degrees. This is at stock speeds. This should not be normal and I'm rather upset with this sort of performance. Running at 90+ will destroy my CPU. What can I do about this? I have checked to see that is it properly contacting and am using the correct amount of paste.

What sort of temps were you getting with the H100? It won't "destroy" your CPU, sure it isn't right but there are safeguards in place to stop it being damaged.

Make sure the CPU voltage is on auto, if you've previously used a fixed voltage for an overclock and forgot to reset it then that might be the cause even if the speeds are at stock.

To be fair, Prime95 applies unrealistic stress on the CPU and we all know how poor the stock HSF is so why bother?

I use Prime95 to test systems with stock coolers all the time, it should not be getting to 90c using the stock cooler at stock settings regardless of the cooler being poor. It is designed to maintain within specification operating temperatures at stock speeds regardless of the load being put on it.

Soldato
Strange, have you tried a few different temperature monitoring programs to check they are getting the same temp? HWMonitor is what I tend to use.

Have you made sure the header you have the stock cooler fan plugged into isn't set on some low RPM mode? What sort of RPM are you getting?

Otherwise I guess it would pay to invest in a budget cooler, see how that performs. Would no doubt be quieter as well.

Soldato
OP
The temps seem to have evened at about 80 so I'll probably leave it at that, the CPU fan is getting 1100 min, 1900 max. There are no changed settings in the bios as I removed the battery and reset. What is a good extremely budget cooler? I wanna keep my 2x200mm fans in my case so will try and swap my H100 for a H80.

Soldato
Voltages are stock, I used fresh MX-5 Paste and with the H100 (on the lowest setting) at stock speeds I hit around 50/60 running prime95.

In that case it very much sounds like the problem is with the stock cooler (otherwise the temps would have been high on the H100 too if the chip was a bad one). The pushpins on the stock Intel cooler were engineered by the devil himself- I would certainly triple check they are each securely in place.

Also, it would be worth fully cleaning the heatsink base and CPU heatspreader using isopropyl alcohol (or similar) then re-apply a very small amount of thermal paste and re-mount the heatsink.

If you still get super-high temperatures then it would be worth contacting the retailer/intel for a replacement stock heatsink, alternatively buy a cheap aftermarket air cooler. This Xigmatek Loki for example costs only £15, uses a backplate-type mounting system and offers cooling performance much better than the stock intel cooler.

Soldato
OP
I have cleaned the heatsink and CPU with isopropyl alcohol. I'll give Intel a few questions and see what they think about it to. Sounds cheap but I don't really have the money atm haha.

Soldato
Well it isn't going to reach those temps during normal use, so you'll be fine (bar the noise), just save up for something better and buy it at a later date. Although I wouldn't personally recommend the H80 due to the pump noise issues the latest batches seem plauged with.

Permabanned
Well bored or not, I'd definitely put the h100 back on unless there is a specific reason why you can't do this. Seems a little odd you would want to downgrade your cooler in the first place, your h100 will do a much better job than the h80. If you are really bored you could always find something in your computer to upgrade rather than downgrade the cooler.

Soldato
OP
Well corsair have not been much help in getting my RMA sorted, Amazon agreed even though my 30 days was up to give me a full refund and also provide a courier to collect. My A50 arrived yesterday and it's sitting at 65/68 at 4.2Ghz. Not to bad, a little louder than expected but hey at least it works.

Back
Top Bottom