• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2600k hitting 90 degrees at stock.

Soldato
With my i7 2600k I have just changed from my H100 back to stock cooler to find under prime95 it hits around 92 degrees. This is at stock speeds. This should not be normal and I'm rather upset with this sort of performance. Running at 90+ will destroy my CPU. What can I do about this? I have checked to see that is it properly contacting and am using the correct amount of paste.

Soldato
OP
Everything is fine, when I replaced the H100 I added a front 200mm, back 120mm and a top 200mm. The heatsink fan is spinning fine as I have a windowed case. I'm stumbled for reasons why this isn't working right but am only left with it being a dodgy chip.

Caporegime
Everything is fine, when I replaced the H100 I added a front 200mm, back 120mm and a top 200mm. The heatsink fan is spinning fine as I have a windowed case. I'm stumbled for reasons why this isn't working right but am only left with it being a dodgy chip.

If it ran ok on the H100 my money is on the HSF not being seated right, as much as you think it is seated correctly.

They just don't get that hot for no reason.

Soldato
OP
I'm now idling at 70, this is stupid. I just took of the side panel and pushed the cooler down onto the CPU, nothing moved but the motherboard and temps stayed the same.

Soldato
Well then what do I do, it is seated as well as it's going to get. Can I ask Intel to send me a replacement?

What actually made you run prime95 with the stock cooler in the 1st place? Also! Have you checked with CPUZ to see what actuall volts is going through your CPU under load. Might be worth doing a full cmos clear by removing the motherboard battery for 10 minutes or so.

Associate
It can only be one of several things.

1) thermal paste isn't in the right quantity/applied correctly.

2)The cooler isn't seated properly.

3) The cooler isn't working properly and the only way I can see this happening is if the fan isn't at full speed.

4) Whichever program you're using to read temps is wrong.

5) The CPU temperature is fine but the CPU sensors are broken.

6) It's still overclocked which the 35x multiplier would indicate.

Back
Top Bottom