• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2600k vs Ivy Bridge

Soldato
Currently running a setup based on a 2600k i7. I do nothing on this but gaming so i'm considering selling the chip, doing a bios upgrade on my Z68 based board and dropping the 2500k equivalent in, likely for around the same price while improving my single thread performance quite a bit.

What's the 2500k equivalent (for where it sits in the range) from the ivy bridge chips? (i.e, unlocked, no hyperthreading).

Soldato
OP
You wouldn't be running the 2500k at stock though would you?

3570k looks like the closest to the 2500k anyway.

No, indeed. Never got around to overclocking the 2600k as it happens but it seemed to be a bit less favourable to it than the 2500k anyway. With some improvements from the new chip and the fact I can sell my 2600k, buy a 3570k (looking at prices) with change and see a performance gain with more headroom to play with it I think it's a definite win.

Associate
Recently I've experienced (what appears to be a) bottleneck in BF3 MP with a 2500k and Crossfire, I'm waiting on a 2700k due tomorrow to see if that fixes the situation because the problem is only with 2500k's which I now believe to be hyper-threading. According to peeps BF3 uses up to 6 CPU cores so I am thinking the 2 extra cores helps a lot in driving the cards to the max.

Just something to think about if you go SLI and other games use the Frostbite 2 engine, you may need hyper-threading in the future so it might be worth getting a 2600k equivalent when purchasing.

Soldato
Recently I've experienced (what appears to be a) bottleneck in BF3 MP with a 2500k and Crossfire, I'm waiting on a 2700k due tomorrow to see if that fixes the situation because the problem is only with 2500k's which I now believe to be hyper-threading. According to peeps BF3 uses up to 6 CPU cores so I am thinking the 2 extra cores helps a lot in driving the cards to the max.

Just something to think about if you go SLI and other games use the Frostbite 2 engine, you may need hyper-threading in the future so it might be worth getting a 2600k equivalent when purchasing.

That doesn't sound correct? :confused:

Did you have your 2500K overclocked? What GPUs are you running?

BF3 doesn't use 6 cores and hyperthreading (addition virtual cores) won't make any difference.

Associate
Had it at 5Ghz, only other people with the problem were 2500k users and with 7970 Xfire/680 SLI. Only happens in BF3 MP. On the 680 SLI users + BF3 thread i started someone posted a link with hyperthreading disabled and enabled showing GPU usage in AB and it was a lot better with hyper threading on.

That link just showed it using 8 cores on a bulldozer, where did you get 2 cores from?

Associate

BF3 can use 8 cores. I am very interested to see if this solves your bottleneck, there is a huge lack of BF3 multiplayer benches, i did see some graphs on another forum that showed the i7 950 actually beating the 2500k by a decent amount, 2600k beat both, cant remember where that was though :confused:

edit: found it, halfway down that thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1657801&page=3

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with multiplayer benches is that they aren't really reliable...at ALL.

I say it's a complete waste of money changing from a 2500k. If you aren't satisfied then change your GPU out.

I guarantee that if you upgrade your CPU you will not see any noticeable difference.

Soldato
Had it at 5Ghz, only other people with the problem were 2500k users and with 7970 Xfire/680 SLI. Only happens in BF3 MP. On the 680 SLI users + BF3 thread i started someone posted a link with hyperthreading disabled and enabled showing GPU usage in AB and it was a lot better with hyper threading on.

That link just showed it using 8 cores on a bulldozer, where did you get 2 cores from?

Not once have a seen anything near 100% CPU utilization on the 2500K in BF3, even on the most demanding servers, so I'm struggling to believe this for one second, in fact there was a point where the recommendation in BF3 was to turn HT off as it caused stuttering for a lot of users......

Associate
The problem with multiplayer benches is that they aren't really reliable...at ALL.

I say it's a complete waste of money changing from a 2500k. If you aren't satisfied then change your GPU out.

I guarantee that if you upgrade your CPU you will not see any noticeable difference.

We'll find out today my 2700k is due in a couple of hours! I have 7970 in Xfire, there's definitely no point in changing the GPU I'm 90% sure it's a CPU issue.

That graph half way down is extremely interesting! Caspian Border (in places) does dip down to 60fps and 65% GPU usage so hopefully HT will sort it out! I'll let everyone know in a thread later, back on topic!

Associate
People need to try and google stuff.. they fixed HT in BF3 a few patches ago and i see all 4 cores utilised and sometimes all 8 threads active while running BF3 on my 2700k with HT.

And that Toms Hardware link? FFS its 6 months old.. if u cant find any new data on these things then test it yerself :rolleyes:

Soldato
People need to try and google stuff.. they fixed HT in BF3 a few patches ago and i see all 4 cores utilised and sometimes all 8 threads active while running BF3 on my 2700k with HT.

And that Toms Hardware link? FFS its 6 months old.. if u cant find any new data on these things then test it yerself :rolleyes:

Calm down dear..... Nobody said BF3 wasn't fixed. Is somebody a widdle touchy today diddums?

Associate
Calm down dear..... Nobody said BF3 wasn't fixed. Is somebody a widdle touchy today diddums?

Did it look like i was yelling or using !'s? You really shouldnt jump to conclusions.. oh wait i guess i was supposed to react to ur little troll now.

No thanks.

All i was trying to say was people need to search more before just jumping into forums asking questions that can be answered with a quick Google search.. its just common sense :)

Back
Top Bottom