• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2600x to 3600 - is it worth it?

Associate
Hi,

As I'm hunting for rtx 3070+, I'm also planning to upgrade my Ryzen 2600x as it would be bottlenecked by the new graphic card. Since there is a big price difference between 3600, 3600x and 5600x I ask for your opinion on what to choose. My motherboard is asrock x470 Master SLI and I'm using Noctua NH-U12A cooling.

Soldato
5600x is what you want ideally

A 3600x is still a nice little CPU, but the 5600x is much improved again. Especially in gaming.

I would personally buy the new GPU, then start saving for the 5600x.

Soldato
The most important question is: what resolution do you play games at and do you favour pretty graphics or high framerate?

Associate
OP
I'm using 1440p 155hz freesync monitor, therefore I need minimum 75 frames to keep the "gsync" working. On multiplayer games I prefer performance but for singles I'm happy with 80-90 fps and best visuals. At the moment I'm using 1080 so most of the time I'm playing on medium/high settings but there are titles like BF2042 or TW3 Warhammer coming where I would definitelly would like to experience best graphics with good performance.

Soldato
I went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 3700X and it was worth it,and that is with a GTX1080FE at qHD. I noticed some decent improvements in a lot of games. If you look on HUKD,a Ryzen 7 3700X can be had for as low as £200. If you sell the stock cooler you could probably get another £15~£20 off that price too IIRC.

Soldato
Newest Zen3 has similar performance increase from Zen2 than what Zen2 has over your Zen+.
So it would carry certainly further into future.

At least in case of only single architecture upgrade would look for upping core count to make sure there are enough cores for OS and background bloat to not affect cores executing game code.

I'm using 1440p 155hz freesync monitor, therefore I need minimum 75 frames to keep the "gsync" working.
155Hz (sounds weird, not 165Hz?) monitor should easily have range for low frame rate compensation, or is it some very old model?
It's 60Hz models which lack enough refresh rate variation range for LFC.

Associate
My mate went from a 2600 to a 5600 and loves it. Frame rate increased on his 6800xt as well so he is well happy. I have the 3600 and don't see point upgrading it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My mate went from a 2600 to a 5600 and loves it. Frame rate increased on his 6800xt as well so he is well happy. I have the 3600 and don't see point upgrading it.

I will be trying my best on this too. Good thing is my daughter will inherit the core of it and a 6700XT will sit perfectly to cement that build off. Hopefully by then I can get a 5600 with new mobo+ram bundle sometime in 2022, well thats my plan anyway..

Associate
OP
Newest Zen3 has similar performance increase from Zen2 than what Zen2 has over your Zen+.
So it would carry certainly further into future.

At least in case of only single architecture upgrade would look for upping core count to make sure there are enough cores for OS and background bloat to not affect cores executing game code.

155Hz (sounds weird, not 165Hz?) monitor should easily have range for low frame rate compensation, or is it some very old model?
It's 60Hz models which lack enough refresh rate variation range for LFC.

The monitor I'm using is DELL S2719DGF, normaly with 144 refresh rate but can be OCed to 155. As it's a freesync monitor on a nvidia card the refresh range starts from 60+ frames but it's only stable from 75+. If the frames are below that number the refresh rate doubles i.e. on 50 frames refresh goes to 100mhz which is noticable.

Associate
I will be trying my best on this too. Good thing is my daughter will inherit the core of it and a 6700XT will sit perfectly to cement that build off. Hopefully by then I can get a 5600 with new mobo+ram bundle sometime in 2022, well thats my plan anyway..
To be honest that's my plan. My boys want their own pc and you can get bundles with mobo cpu ram cooler and 3080 so I would be having the cpu and 3080 haha

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It is truly the only way. Some of the bundles come with a 5900X which is really the only upgrade I would go for. Again its a WANT rather than a NEED but I am sure I will get one of them someday.

Same mate, every time I see the CPUs I just think about overhauling my 3600+B450. As the 3600 is coping well for now I am in no rush tbh, but when the time is right it just makes sense grab a bundle then one of the kids has a complete gaming rig (just have to get a case to put it in) and I can get an upgrade at the same moment! :D (less wife grief too that way).

Associate
Same mate, every time I see the CPUs I just think about overhauling my 3600+B450. As the 3600 is coping well for now I am in no rush tbh, but when the time is right it just makes sense grab a bundle then one of the kids has a complete gaming rig (just have to get a case to put it in) and I can get an upgrade at the same moment! :D (less wife grief too that way).
It is all about the lack of grief from the wife cos you are doing it for the kids lol but yes its really the only way I can see I can get a top rate GPU. I am lucky at times to get on my own pc as it is.

Associate
yes you will notice a difference in CPU intensive titles. I went from 2600> 3800x> 5800x.
I would've kept the 3800x if I didn't get a 3080 as it bottlenecks a 3080 at 1440p.

Soldato
Wait till you get the Gpu first then access your options for a CPU as prices have been falling lately and may fall even more by the time you have secured a GPU.

That said you may want to check this vid first and see if it's even worth upgrading the CPU at all going by the 1440p results.

Associate
OP
Wait till you get the Gpu first then access your options for a CPU as prices have been falling lately and may fall even more by the time you have secured a GPU.

That said you may want to check this vid first and see if it's even worth upgrading the CPU at all going by the 1440p results.

Thanks, will definitely check this out. I'm not going to upgrade anything till I secure the GPU. I'm kinda forced to buy GPU+CPU+mobo+ram together as my old setup will go to my wife. Still not sure if I will need new PSU(I have OCZ500MSXP (for 1080) and CX750W(for 30XX) one).

Back
Top Bottom