2700x build - X470 Motherboard Choice

Associate
Hi I'm building a 2700x system with the following. I'd be grateful for opinions on the motherboard choice. WIFI would be good but not a deal breaker. I thought I would be able to get an x470 for around £150 but looking at this chart -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ZwVuH_tinzgpsOdfMvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=0

It appears the VRMs are poor on a lot of the x470 boards.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,310.60 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

I'm leaning towards the Gaming 7 for it's VRM, WIFI and UK based support but didn't really intend to spend over £200. I will stretch to that if it's the right choice though.
Please could I have your thoughts on these x470 motherboards ?

Soldato
Aorus 7 has one of the best - specially down to the heatsink, Hero usings the same IR units but different Controller and Taichi uses same controller but differing IR units which arent as cool

aorus 5 is different to Ultra , is actauly 4 phases and not Big 4 like the ultra was (2 high 2 low vs 1 high 2 low PPAK)

aorus 7 also has best Wifi in any of the x470 boards

Associate
OP
Thanks. What about the ROG Strix X470-F I listed, that is cheaper but no WIFI ? I didn't include the Hero because it was on a par price wise with the Gaming 7 and had no WIFI.
Also, I'll be pairing this with a RTX 2080 and given the cost of these cards, I was thinking of going Zotac for the 5 year warranty. The question is, what is Zotac like for card build quality and especially warranty, UK based ? I might go Gigabyte otherwise and settle for the 3 year warranty because I know that is UK based and there's a rep on these forums.

Soldato
Thanks. What about the ROG Strix X470-F I listed, that is cheaper but no WIFI ? I didn't include the Hero because it was on a par price wise with the Gaming 7 and had no WIFI.
Also, I'll be pairing this with a RTX 2080 and given the cost of these cards, I was thinking of going Zotac for the 5 year warranty. The question is, what is Zotac like for card build quality and especially warranty, UK based ? I might go Gigabyte otherwise and settle for the 3 year warranty because I know that is UK based and there's a rep on these forums.

its not a bad board, just very expensive for what it is , Aorus 5 with wifi is cheaper

also they are replacing the Strix model , or a new one coming out, Think the have just used doublers and would in theory perform slightly better then the Hero in terms of VRM for VCore

not sure with zotac currently, Use to be 2 years with reseller ( always had to bu from damn good shop) and then 3 years with Honk Kong . then moved to 3 years UK reseller then 2 years direct to Honk Kong . No idea if resellers had to send off the card themselves or replace and then get a replacement back.
and no idea what they do now. They do have a very small unit in the UK, but no idea if its like Gigabytes site and able to carry out repairs .
I know the Gigabyte Gaming and Aorus come with 4 year warranty (extra year registered online)

Associate
I recently bought a X470 Aorus Gaming 7 to go with a 2700X. Very nice board, the VRM and cooling solution appears top notch - handy for a Ryzen 3xxxX drop in at a later date :)

I would definitely go for the Gaming 7 over a ROG Strix X470-F personally. I upgraded from an Asus X99 board and the Gaming 7 has much more a of a quality look and feel about it - might just be a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder I guess :p

Permabanned
I recently bought a X470 Aorus Gaming 7 to go with a 2700X. Very nice board, the VRM and cooling solution appears top notch - handy for a Ryzen 3xxxX drop in at a later date :)

I would definitely go for the Gaming 7 over a ROG Strix X470-F personally. I upgraded from an Asus X99 board and the Gaming 7 has much more a of a quality look and feel about it - might just be a case of beauty in the eye of the beholder I guess :p

X99 is old, this is why.

Soldato
Just to jump in. If going with the 2700 or 2700x is there much point in going X470 over B450?

Won’t be using SLI and unlikely to overclock.

vrms on b450 arent the best for pushing 8 core ryzen , unless your going ITX which seem to have better units like the B450 Aorus ITX at £115... rather grab X370 Aorus 5 for £135 lol

Soldato
The B450 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi was what I had in mind. Would need to justify spending double on something like the X470 Gaming 7.

middle ground in X470 Aorus 5 wifi - £160-75 odd . Prices of aorus boards have crept up . Aorus 5 use to be £150 at launch :(

If your on about ITX Pro wifi then damn good board!!!!!
if your on about ATX Wifi version, can only see it listed for £160..

Associate
middle ground in X470 Aorus 5 wifi - £160-75 odd . Prices of aorus boards have crept up . Aorus 5 use to be £150 at launch :(

If your on about ITX Pro wifi then damn good board!!!!!
if your on about ATX Wifi version, can only see it listed for £160..

Is the ITX a mini? I'm looking at the mini-ITX and ATX versions and they are both showing the same price. Would the former be the better option then?

Back
Top Bottom