• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700x Temperature Reading Anomaly (-10, -57, +107 & +196)

Associate
Evening gents,

Had my 2700x / 1080ti setup for a while now and after some initial teething problems which seemed to be down to ai suites fan xpert hard crashing the system.

However I am wondering if this is down to my cpu giving the odd random temperature readings in error.

Running prime95 and monitoring in ryzen master I will get one second readings where it will either jump up (this evening's test gave a reading of 196c) or plummet down (-57c reading tonight) after which it goes back to where it seems to rest under load (about 68c).

Other monitoring software such as Cpuz and HWmonitor only detect these temps intermittently where as ryzen master seems to display the most unusual readings.

The cpu is at stock settings, the 8 pack ram that came with the bundle is at 3200 and I am using the stock wraith prism cooler. I am not sure if the cpu readings come from the cpu itself or from the mobo (x370-f again part of the bundle).

Is this a bad cpu? Or am I worrying over nothing? I cannot find a single thread trawling the internet that shows anyone getting the same issue.

The only issues I've had since removing ai suite is the odd 3-5 second freeze whilst gaming but it always seems to come back and doesn't hard crash the system as before.

Any input you can give is greatly apprichiated!

Associate
My 2700x is in a custom water loop but the temp does jump about which is normal. But nowhere like what you are seeing. If you have not done so already update to the latest bios. I would also update to the latest chipset software from AMDs web site. I would also be tempted to buy an after market cooler as your standard temp is a little high.

Associate
OP
Case is vented at the top, pretty sure these temps aren't real readings, heres a couple of pics.
temp_7_by_jontain_dcwqhwn-pre.jpg

Soldato
Seems like a defective sensor reading to me.. if the cpu actually hit 196c the CPU would most likely be dead if it hadn't already auto shutdown first also there is no way you will get to -68c without exotic cooling. My bet.. the sensor is simply tripping hard or you have something installed/running that interferes with the readings.

Associate
OP
Through normal use and idle i do see the temps jumping around which sounds pretty normal for the Ryzen cpus as they try and make the most out of each core.

What is interesting is the anomalous readings always seem to be either -10, -57 or 196 from my testing. Generally when Ryzen Master detects one of these readings HWmonitor or CPUz won't detect it but I do remember a while back getting at least one of these programs to display one of these strange readings but didn't print screen.

Does anyone know if these temps are read by the cpu itself or does the mobo take the cpu readings?

Not sure if AMD offer any sort of warranty for this kind of issue or even if I should worry if since I have removed the Ai Suite software it doesn't (touch wood) seem to cause me any issues. It's just not very confidence inspiring not being able to find a single case of anyone else having this issue.

I should note I have only ever observed these issues whilst under load which I have mainly tested with Prime95, again not that it seems to effect the program in any way...

Associate
OP
Seems like a defective sensor reading to me.. if the cpu actually hit 196c the CPU would most likely be dead if it hadn't already auto shutdown first also there is no way you will get to -68c without exotic cooling. My bet.. the sensor is simply tripping hard or you have something installed/running that interferes with the readings.
Thanks for the reply, again I am certain the cpu isn't actually hitting those temperatures but should i be desperately concerned about the sensor miss reading if the cpu seems to be functioning fine.

Under complete load at 4ghz across all cores I have only ever seen it hit a maximum of 75c with the stock cooler so it's not so bad compared to what some other Ryzen chips seem to be hitting!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, hopefully I am worrying over nothing as it doesn't seem to be causing the system any issues.

Having said that I did have it freeze up slightly again this time just on windows but came back after a couple of seconds but not sure if this is related to these readings.

Associate
OP
Mobo bios was updated twice since building so should be relatively up to date and didn't remove the problem.

Ryzen Master I have also updated twice but not checked recently.

Scuse the ignorance but latest chipset software? Is this a driver for the cpu, little confused by that apologies!

HRL

HRL

Soldato
At 196c, I think the PC would shut down for safety, and the chip would be nearly dead.

Don't think there would be much "nearly dead" about it. 200C would take out the mobo and everything else too probably.

HWInfo64 produce the same readings?

Associate
OP
Ok running prime 95 and hwinfo pushed temps up to 84.9 where it came to a stop but stopped the test as only running stock cooler and I didn't want to leave it at that for long.

Still did have a -10 reading in ryzen master but only showing a min of 44.9 on cpu tctl and 34.9 on cpu tdie

Currently running heaven to see if I get and strange cpu readings...

Associate
Just asking out of interest, is this really necessary? I generally don't bother with chipset software but maybe I should be...?
You really need to keep this up to date and your bios. As the drivers are constantly being updated with bug fixes and performance improvements

Back
Top Bottom