29 and lost (again..)

Soldato
Hey People, sick of my current job.

Is learning programming worth it ? Am I likely to get hired with a portfolio and no DEGREE?

Any other suggestions for a good IT field ?

Caporegime
What do you currently do and what do you enjoy doing? Don't just pick a job for the money or pick a skillset because you think it will get a job that pays well. If you enjoy programming then you'll probably end up being quite good at it, if you enjoy something else that maybe requires some programming skills then that's a possibility too. Why not try it regardless in your spare time, see if you like it, think up a little project and try to make it happen.

Caporegime
With programming do as dowie has said and pick something to write even if it's very basic, which I imagine it will have to be anyway at first, unless you just tap into it like a small number of folks do. Don't just zoom through courses on codeacademy as you'll forget nearly everything and will struggle to apply it.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
FWIW degree's mean nothing once you get beyond a years experience and / or arent applying for a graduate job*. Dont get hung up on the paper, fixate on being useful and being able to write good code with good examples that you can defend under scrutiny in interviews.

* (Talking software development here, not in general).

Back
Top Bottom