• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2900XT 512mb or GF 8800 GS 640mb?

Associate
Hi

I read & searched around the forums but can't find the answer

I plan on running my HTPC to play games on my 42" LCD @ 1920 x 1080 Resolution

First I thought that the 8800 GS was the better card to go for but then looked at other reviews that say different

The 512mb 2900 XT is £10 cheaper than the 640mb 8800 GS & it seems to be getting reviews showing it better than the GS version

Can anyone clarify this as I'm totally confused?

Regards

Dave

Soldato
for that rez to be honest it would be worth wile to try and stretch the budget to the gtx.

if not then id go for the 8800gts since its got more ram than the 2900 and its got less noise and less power consumption.

Permabanned
Ok both of them cards are on par with each other. The HD2900XT gets higher marks than the 8800GTS 640 on some games and then vice versa.

They are pretty equal.

Associate
OP
Hamoodii said:
ask your self these questions:

1=Do I have a good case with some decent cooling? (i.e 120/120)
2=Am i going to run Vista
3=What PSU do I have
4=What games am/will be playing

Thanks guys for all of your replies so far

1 - Antec fusion with 2 x 120mm fans on low
2 - Not at the moment I'm running MCE 2005 (I've heard DX10 is becoming available for XP?)
3 - Antec Fusion with 430W Antec PSU - Although I do have a 600W OCZ PSU at hand if needed
4 - Any games really NFS, role play, stalker, BF2 etc

I'm tempted to buy an XBOX 360 instead of the GC what do you guys think?

Associate
OP
Kipper67 said:

With respect, there is no need to be sarcastic; I had looked through most of the posts you mentioned, so no guide dog needed! :(

I was looking for a specific answer to running the card at a high resolution, as there was so much contradiction saying one was faster that the other, I just wanted a simple answer, as the guys previously answered simply, which is the answer I was looking for!

Soldato
stickroad said:
Ok both of them cards are on par with each other. The HD2900XT gets higher marks than the 8800GTS 640 on some games and then vice versa.

They are pretty equal.

except that 1 card requires over 100w more power than the other. :)

Soldato
Somthing else to note with the 2900

Notably, the VLIW architecture brings with it some classic challenges that have always been a part of VLIW designs, namely that of maintaining the optimal instruction flow [2]. Additionally, the chip cannot co-issue instructions when one is dependent on the results of the other. The performance of the GPU will be highly dependent on the mixture of instructions being used by the application and how well the real-time compiler in the driver can organize said instructions

It's future lies in the drivers we have already seen some big improvements, with compiler tweaks in the future things can only get brighter, I suspect the card will be in between the GTS and GTX fully by September/Oct just a guess though ;) .

Associate
It's a tough call really, do you plan on using much AA/AF at that rez?? If so, I think the 8800GTS 640mb might be the better choice.

tbh, at that rez, it's gonna be a close call either way, but I think maybe the 2900XT just takes the lead.

Associate
TOM it says you are using the 7.7 beta's. i have asked you in about 4 threads already have you noticed ANY improvement and youve never ever replied.

so i'll ask one last time, have you noticed ANY improvement at all? anything? as my friend is looking into cards atm and i know you keep saying theyll get better, if not then ill just get him to get a GTS.

Soldato
ergonomics said:
TOM it says you are using the 7.7 beta's. i have asked you in about 4 threads already have you noticed ANY improvement and youve never ever replied.

so i'll ask one last time, have you noticed ANY improvement at all? anything? as my friend is looking into cards atm and i know you keep saying theyll get better, if not then ill just get him to get a GTS.

He's likely under NDA and not actually ALLOWED to specifically answer questions about them.

Back
Top Bottom