• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2nd hand X79 system VS X99

Soldato
Looking to build a system soonish and was checking out what Intels best offering currently is which seems to be the X99 platform and 6800K and up CPUs.

I've come to the point where I don't need the latest and greatest (as I have done in the past) and if I can save some money for comparable performance I will do.

Usage is mainly gaming with perhaps a odd bit of video editing etc but mainly gaming. 6 core is more than enough.

6800k + mobo + 16GB DDR4 = £700ish new

3930k + mobo + 16gb DDR3 = Sub £300

Looking at some benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/552?vs=1727

Seems there's very little in it. Like 10-15% and that's with the clock advantage on broadwell-E which could be caught up as the older chips clock better?

Anyhow given the above and price difference if you ain't bothered by the lastest shiny thing what would you recommend?

Is there anything I am over looking with the newer platforms that I should consider?

Money I save can go to a nicer GPU or a good monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a X5650 CPU/mobo/12Gb Ram for £175 from the MM last year and it runs everything I throw at it (mainly gaming) without breaking a sweat.

As long as it lasts, can't see a need for upgrading for years.

Soldato
Looking to build a system soonish and was checking out what Intels best offering currently is which seems to be the X99 platform and 6800K and up CPUs.

I've come to the point where I don't need the latest and greatest (as I have done in the past) and if I can save some money for comparable performance I will do.

Usage is mainly gaming with perhaps a odd bit of video editing etc but mainly gaming. 6 core is more than enough.

6800k + mobo + 16GB DDR4 = £700ish new

3930k + mobo + 16gb DDR3 = Sub £300

Looking at some benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/552?vs=1727

Seems there's very little in it. Like 10-15% and that's with the clock advantage on broadwell-E which could be caught up as the older chips clock better?

Anyhow given the above and price difference if you ain't bothered by the lastest shiny thing what would you recommend?

Is there anything I am over looking with the newer platforms that I should consider?

Money I save can go to a nicer GPU or a good monitor.

Question, why you want 6 cores CPUs? For gaming the 6700K is sufficient.
If you need the 6 cores for everything else but gaming, then yes go for it.

Also have you considered 4930K with motherboard, quad channel DDR3 ram etc for around £450-480? Thats middle ground between the two, and even the worst 4930K will get to 4.5Ghz, which is pretty good imho.

Associate
Got q-code 68 with my 5960x and rampage V extreme. I bought a b-grade replacement MB (they had no new ones) from OCUK. The motherboard I got from overclockers was literally just the mother board, no sli bridges, no standoffs, no motherboard screws, no manual, no original box, no HD cables, no 3.1usb module (paid £50 more for this version) in fact nothing but the motherboard, the wifi antenna was even missing (£300)! So I cant really sell my old one now (even though it turns out to be a broken CPU) as it has become a donor for the new one and I could never try to sell one like that. Could not of used it if I didn't have the old board. So you have been warned, I will never buy b-grade stuff from here again!!!!

Permabanned
Got q-code 68 with my 5960x and rampage V extreme. I bought a b-grade replacement MB (they had no new ones) from OCUK. ...{snip rant]... I will never buy b-grade stuff from here again!!!!
This is the 2nd thread that I've read your complaint which should be directed to OcUK directly. It really is wasted here in the forum as the majority of people reading it will think that was your own fault for not reading the description at all. There was no reasonable expectation on your part for there to be anything included apart from the motherboard as it clearly states in bold red writing in a framed window
B Grade items may have been used, have damaged packaging, missing accessories or a combination of these.

So the only person you should really be berating is yourself in the mirror. :rolleyes:

Also don't go searching for threads with 'B-grade' and dig them up from 2016. Just so you can whinge.

Associate
ok ok I get it. just it cost almost the same as the brand new one I bought in 2015 and had read that some b-grades simply had a damaged box. I paid £50 more for the 3.1usb version and they had both versions to choose from. Even the 3.1 usb module was missing - to be fair though OCUK are looking into that for me now. My point was that for anybody doing a new build and not an upgrade or replacement, it would be very difficult to even install it..... but I do accept your point

Back
Top Bottom