2nd Router or wireless access point?

Associate
Hi

I'm moving house shortly into an older bigger house which will have 40-50mb BT FTTC with the phone socket by the front door which is next to the living room. So the router will be in the living room with good wifi or wired connections for the PS4/TV etc. My computer will be in the office at the opposite end of the house which I will want to plug in by cable.

I am thinking i will run a cable along the outside wall from the router in the living room to another router or access point or something in the office that i can plug the PC into and that will also provide wifi to that end of the house.

I guess I will use whatever wireless router/modem that comes with the broadband connection for the living room. Can anyone recommend what I should use as the Office router/access point?

Thanks

Nick

Soldato
No, and it belongs to Virgin anyway. If they don't get it back they could charge you for it.

How exotic does the wireless need to be, and how much do you want to spend?

Associate
OP
I thought they might tell me to chuck it away as its about 8 years old.

I'd like the wireless to be good. I'l want to stream netflix etc to upstairs and I have currently have 3 amazon echoes in my small house and Hue lighting so will add to that.

I'l spend whatevers necessary for it to work properly...

Associate
OP
After a lot of googling it seems like getting a netgear RBK50 Orbi might be the best way to go and have them connected by Ethernet cable. That way the whole house should have seamless wifi and ill have Ethernet connections in both the office and living room for £250. Is there a better alternative than this?

Soldato
Your plan to run the Ethernet cable is sound.

For the rest of it wait until you’ve moved in. You may find that a single router, even the ISP supplied one, is good enough. If it isn’t you’ll then know the areas that aren’t getting coverage and buy something that best fits your needs. You’ll be able to get it delivered next day so it wouldn’t be a great inconvenience.

Back
Top Bottom