2TB 2.5" 9.5mm HDD

Associate
Hi,

I recently got a Samsung M9T 2TB HDD and thought i'd share my experience so far to help others who require 2TB of storage in a laptop. Because this drive is not only 2.5" form factor, but also 9.5mm thin, it fits in an ordinary HDD bay inside a laptop which is very useful.

The drive is quite hard to find at the minute but you can buy the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB external drive and take the cover off to get hold of a Samsung M9T 2TB:
IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

Quite impressed with quietness of the drive. I've found a lot of samsung drives to be VERY quiet and reliable; but i'm sure individual experiences might differ.

The performance over an intel SATA-II (3GBps) port was about 50MBps sustained read/write:
ScreenShot2014-03-16at134810.png

This is about expected for a 5400rpm drive but even though 60MBps is theoretically possible over USB2.0, I personally never see these speeds, and you also don't get NCQ like to you do with SATA, so I would recommend using the drive over USB3.0 externally OR installing it inside to a SATA port. Due to the higher platter density and therefore less platters than thicker 2TB 2.5" drives, seek times are very good too.

Jonny

Back
Top Bottom