2x RGB 120mm to replace on noctua d15

Caporegime
Due to a recent mild outbreak of RGB in my life in looking at replacing the x2 120mm noctua fans on this beast of a cooler.

Im Im looking for 2 any good brand fans that are as good, if not better than the noctua ones but must be RGB and preferably come with a hub/controller.
Price is important too. Do I even need a hub. Any 4 pin fans that I can just plug in and they have limited features/ motherboard compatibility?

What brands should I look to?

Motherboard is an aorus z390 master, if there's anyway to sync it upto that would be a bonus but not deal breaking.

Thx. I know it's sad.

Soldato
NH-D15 stock fans are 140mm with 105mm mounting hole spacing .. which is same as normal 120mm fans use. I don't know of any 140mm RGB fan with 120mm fan mounting holes. Changing the stock fans to 120mm fans to get RGB will lower D15's cooling ability

Soldato
So you able to fit the 120mm fan (105mm hole spacing) fan clips onto your new 140mm (124.5mm) spaced hole fans?

Soldato
I've been looking at those Fractal Prismas as well for a build someone wants with a Meshify C (ATX or micro-ATX). Watched a bunch of videos yesterday, spec-checked etc. They look decent enough to try.

Thinking of 2 x 140mm 1000 RPM at front of case, 1 x 120 1200 RPM at rear of case, and 1 x 120 PWM 2000 RPM on a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 (the other 135mm fan hidden in the middle of the cooler can stay).

The RGB on these looks to be more diffused than on some others, which is nice. Cables are nice and long, and Fractal (unofficially) said you could daisy-chain about 8 of them to a single ARGB/Rainbow/whatever 5v 3-pin header.

Hope you post back with your experience.

Caporegime
OP
So you able to fit the 120mm fan (105mm hole spacing) fan clips onto your new 140mm (124.5mm) spaced hole fans?

Not even tried yet. Slow delivery where I live.
I'll probably just be sending the 120mm straight back unopened.

The fractals, about twice the price in Sweden, just look better and 100% better cooling.

Caporegime
OP
I've been looking at those Fractal Prismas as well for a build someone wants with a Meshify C (ATX or micro-ATX). Watched a bunch of videos yesterday, spec-checked etc. They look decent enough to try.

Thinking of 2 x 140mm 1000 RPM at front of case, 1 x 120 1200 RPM at rear of case, and 1 x 120 PWM 2000 RPM on a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 (the other 135mm fan hidden in the middle of the cooler can stay).

The RGB on these looks to be more diffused than on some others, which is nice. Cables are nice and long, and Fractal (unofficially) said you could daisy-chain about 8 of them to a single ARGB/Rainbow/whatever 5v 3-pin header.

Hope you post back with your experience.

I'll try and remember.
I just want it to look so ridiculous inside.
I see there's RGB power cables now too. Well extension cables..... Trololol

I have a define s2. Can't see a thing from the Front panel.
3x140mm fractal case fans.
Might replace 2 with the noctuas.
Might get 3x more of these for ultimate wtf factor (and air flow)

Caporegime
OP
Not sure how big these are so spoiler

9UaaaoM.jpg

3tIXh11.jpg

They fit pretty well considering. A bit of a stretch on the thin metal clips. Won't be fun to clean but that will be a good while away so......

Cables indeed are long, have a lot to pull through and try and get behind.
Daisy chain 3 easy as pie. Plugged the last into the gigabyte mobo header.

i put them straight to max rpm 1600ish. and ill leave them there. i can't hear a thing. results may differ for you.

just seen that hanging velcro strip... its hidden by side panel didn't even realize.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Efour

Cheers. I'll let you know how I find the sound on mine. Good that it doesn't bother you, and actually I specced 3 low RPM versions as case fans and 1 higher RPM PWM for the CPU cooler, so probably won't bother me either.

Are temps about as good?

Caporegime
OP
Its really hot here today 28deg was in low teens just the otherday so im not 100% sure.
If i just add 10degrees then its about the same...

PC has BSOD 3x since swapping fans and im heartbroken im not sure what has happened and i just dont have the willpower to fix it :p
Its not temp related im sure of that.
Maybe loose sound card.
Ill reset everything and start again when i cba.

Soldato
Only thing I can think of related to the fans is to double-check that you plugged the RGB cable into the correct 5v header (ARGB) on the board, not the other 12v (RGB) header type.

Caporegime
OP
A reboot fixed it, something was very wrong.

The headers are 4 pins but one of the holes blocked they only fit on the 5v.
I installed a load of Gigabyte 3rd party garbage ill get rid of all that for starters.

I think you will be fine, its my fault, deffo something i messed up.

Soldato
That's a pity. When I get the stuff, I'll test the Dark Rock Pro 4 with stock fans and then with the 120mm swapped for Prisma PWM. See how big the difference is with that.

Back
Top Bottom