2x SONOS Play 5 vs SONOS AMP & 4x bookshelf speakers

Associate
Hi all

I was just wondering on what people's opinions are on what would be the best setup for my newly extended kitchen. The ceiling has a different profile throughout, i.e the extended area is "vaulted" whereas the original part is standard flat ceiling. The length of the wall is approx 7.5m, ceiling splits approx half way along.

In the standard part, there is not enough room to place a PLAY 5 on top of the wall cabinets, so using a couple of PLAY 5s would involve non ideal placement in just the "vaulted" part of the extension, speakers angled to suit.

The alternative is an AMP and 4x smaller bookshelf speakers, distributed evenly along the wall.

A SONOS SUB would be used with either option.

So which do you think would perform better? Non ideal positioning of 2x PLAY 5s or equally distributed 4x bookshelf speakers?

Thanks

Mike

Soldato
The problem with Sonos is the ecosystem namely small library. Also the cost of being locked into it. I can't use third party apps, or other non Sonos audio players to your existing Sonos system. Locked in like apple.

If it was me I'd look into either in ceiling, in wall or dedicated wall mount speakers, with either wired in properly or just use cabling and glue it or use nail clips , depending on how neat or cheap I want it. Since it's for the kitchen is use moisture proof speakers. With a multi channel amp with squeeebox duet (old but superior to Sonos in some ways and cheaper too) Sonos sub is expensive for what it is. For kitchen probably get bk Gemini, it's small. I think a svs pb ultra 16 or powersound 4 x 18" may be slightly too big for a kitchen

Soldato
I love my sonos.
A Sonos connect is also an option. You can connect that to an amp and have the best of both worlds. I have sonos in every room in the house and at both my restaurants however I only really stream spotify or fill the house with football or F1 (if I need move around the house or go to the loo)

Associate
Wouldn't buying the Play 5s enable you to use Trueplay, thereby eliminating any issues arising by non-ideal placement?

Soldato
I’d get two play 5’s and use true play room correction which is excellent. I also wouldn't buy the sub initially as you probably don’t need one for general listening in a kitchen dinner type environment the play 5s sound brilliant.

Soldato
The problem with Sonos is the ecosystem namely small library. Also the cost of being locked into it. I can't use third party apps, or other non Sonos audio players to your existing Sonos system. Locked in like apple.

What 3rd party or library would you be looking to use? I cast from Spotify directly, My Personal Library from my laptop\PC and have cast things from a Chromecast and plex to it. The newer ones are also Airplay compatible so can cast directly from your Itunes library. That is without mentioning the Radio usage, Pandora, Soundcloud, Amazon and Deezer compatibility (Those that I remember). You can also do Direct line in via a Play5, Connect or Amp so you can keep your old Stereo\Vinyl collection and play those through it as well.

snip

Mike

In my living room\Dining room that is a bit of an unusual shape (In the picture below swap the living and dining room around I have a Play:1 (On a kitchen\Dining room dresser) on the left, a Play:5 (Under TV Cabinet) and move another Play:1 into the room from the Garage when I have guests over (Haven't gotten around to buying another yet) on the right

s3TT6j6.png

Imo the sound quality is perfectly fine in that space for 2 play:1's in Stereo mode. I would always prefer to have a Play:5's but they were out of my price range when I bought more for the house (Currently have 4 play:1s and a play:5)

Back
Top Bottom