2X1GB DDR PC3200

Permabanned
So im going to order but I need to know the actual facts. I don't really overclock tbh, I just want to max out my games and have no problem with RAM issues etc. Like right now if I play BF2, I have to play it all on medium with no AA because it gets too laggy if I put it higher. So I want 2GB RAM so I can max out BF2 graphically and have it run nice and smooth. RAM is my bottleneck tbh.

So my question is would their really be a difference between getting say the Geil Value RAM or OCUK Value or getting the Corsair, which is quite a bit pricery.

Am I just paying for a the name and a higher overclocking potential? Advice. Cheers.

Permabanned
OP
So your def sure, because im going to order no doubt today. I just want to make sure that theres no real difference between say expensive Corsair RAM and value RAM. Like by that I mean in game difference, im not getting deep and presice, but I DO want RAM that will run my games fine with no issues, like I have the graphics and other components, but im sick of running games on medium etc because I only have 1GB RAM.

So if I get 2GB, I'll def run games like BF2 on max with no lag issues etc?

Also is their any other RAM people reconmend or is Geil value RAM the best? It doesn't matter if OcUK don't sell it, if theres something I should def get then tell me the name of the RAM brand/model.

Permabanned
OP
Also since I have 4x256. If I got the 2GB would it be wise to add say two of the 256 sticks in as well so I have 2.5GB or is that a no go?

Soldato
Ditch the 4 x 256 completely - to either another pc, or sell them

If you dont overclock or will be happy with a small overclock, id get value ram, if its only a little more, get a brand, otherwise generic is fine.

Timings make little difference outside benchmarking.

Soldato
Macabre:

Have a read Here

If you are not going to overclock much (if at all), this Ram should work out well for you.

If you fit this Ram, I wouldn't install 2 x 256MB sticks with it, as it is not the best thing to mix Ram, and 2GBs will be enough for all your needs I would think.

Permabanned
OP
jbloggs said:
Macabre:

Have a read Here

If you are not going to overclock much (if at all), this Ram should work out well for you.

If you fit this Ram, I wouldn't install 2 x 256MB sticks with it, as it is not the best thing to mix Ram, and 2GBs will be enough for all your needs I would think.

Okay ty.

So what is the best Value RAM brand to go with? I know it might be personal pref, but like Crucial? Corsair? Kingston? Geil? etc.

Permabanned
OP
Out of interest which would you say would be the best going for, they are roughly the same price, because I can't post the link to the competitor I'll just post the details:

======================================================

Product Description Crucial memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR
Storage Capacity 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB )
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
CAS Latency CL3
Features Unbuffered
Supply Voltage 2.6 V

=======================================================

Product Description Corsair Value Select memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
Features Unbuffered
Manufacturer Warranty Limited lifetime warranty

Product Description Kingston ValueRAM memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR
Upgrade Type Generic
Technology DDR SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
CAS Latency CL3
Features Four banks , unbuffered
Supply Voltage 2.6 V
Lead Plating Gold
Manufacturer Warranty Limited lifetime warranty ( Germany, Austria and France - 10 years )

Probly the same but just want to make sure im going with the right one, I was leaning towards either the Corsair or Kingston. But advice?

Soldato
Macabre:

Of the 3 you mention, Crucial, Corsair or Kingston, I would go for the Corsair Value Select.

As regards which is the best "Value Ram", really there is nothing (in my opinion) between the Geil and Corsair, both are very good IF you are not going to be overclocking at all, or if so, by only a small amount. :)

Permabanned
OP
jbloggs said:
Macabre:

Of the 3 you mention, Crucial, Corsair or Kingston, I would go for the Corsair Value Select.

As regards which is the best "Value Ram", really there is nothing (in my opinion) between the Geil and Corsair, both are very good IF you are not going to be overclocking at all, or if so, by only a small amount. :)

Is the Corsair Dual Chanel? it doesn't say or is all 2GB usually Dual Chanel?

Soldato
Macabre said:
Is the Corsair Dual Chanel? it doesn't say or is all 2GB usually Dual Chanel?

If the Corsair is sold as a "matched" 2GB kit (which I think it is, certainly the Geil is) it will run in "dual channel" mode on your motherboard (I am quite sure your mobo supports dual channel mode, if your present Ram is running in dual channel, the matched 2GB kit will also run as such), simply because it is a "matched pair" which is the basis of it running in dual channel as opposed to single channel. :)

Permabanned
lol does everyone have 7900gto's !

Your spec is nearly the same as mine..

What model is your p4. Is it 6** 5** etc

cheers

you should oc man. I am hitting past 4.0ghz without changing voltage or ram at all!

Permabanned
OP
tommy_knockers said:
lol does everyone have 7900gto's !

Your spec is nearly the same as mine..

What model is your p4. Is it 6** 5** etc

cheers

you should oc man. I am hitting past 4.0ghz without changing voltage or ram at all!

Don't see the need to. I have never overclocked. If I run my games on max and its smooth no issues then why overclock? I've never done a benchmark, I never worry about FPS or anything.

Back
Top Bottom