3 days break in Europe, Barcelona?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi Folks,

Just wanting some advice from some of you well travelled lot. Me and a couple of friends are planning a couple of days break in October, and barcelona has been mentioned as a possible cheap destination.

Any must see sights or things to do? we are not big drinkers so its not a clubbing on the lash type break! Any hotel or areas to stay recomendations?

Whats barcelona like to get around on public transport?

Any tips appreciated.

Soldato
Never been Barca and never intend to.

In fairness there are far cheaper locations provided you don't mind an hour or two on your journey.

Is it sightseeing?

Soldato
Barcelona would be great for 3 days, however there's scope to do more there in say 5 days?

Have you considered Prague? Easier to fit most the standard tourist stuff in within 3 days

Soldato
15 mins and the obvious post not made, GJ GD!

TBF, despite the association with the film, Bruges is really nice!

Depends what you want really. Not much to see there but enough to fill 3 days and place is stunning.

Soldato
Prague is cheaper and has lots to see. Poland is also another option and is on my bucket list in the next ten years. The only way id be there within 12months is if the said Auschwitz is going.

What's your total budget btw??

Soldato
Look up about Lisbon, lots to see there. You can take also a day trip to Sintra, which is full of palaces and castles you can walk around which are amazing, you could actually spend 3 days there exploring the old town, it's lovely.

Soldato
Sagrada Famila and Park Guell for Gaudi artwork. Avoid Las Ramblas, its full of tourists and pickpockets.

Bruges is also a good shout, but a bit more popular with the SAGA crowd.

I'd also throw Berlin into the mix.

Soldato
Barcelona is great. We used an AirBnB in Barcelonetta last time we went so were right near the beach and a tube station. If you like food try and get a reservation at Tickets (although it books up months in advance so it depends when you're going). Avoid Las Ramblas. If you want to see a lot of the sights in one go then I can can recommend Fat Tyre bike tours. Especially now that Barcelona has tons of bike lanes.

Soldato
There's plenty to see in Barcelona, Parc Guell and all the Gaudi stuff, Sagradas familia is breathtaking, Las Ramblas, Noucamp etc, however, i can't compare it to Prague as i've not been there but i'd like to. What about somewhere like Venice, perfect for 3 days there and a lot of history and a lot to see.

Bruges is beautiful but you go to Bruges for the beer just as much as the architecture, Normandy is nice if you have access to a car, i loved it at Mont St. Michel, then you have all the war history, the Bayeux tapestry, Caen is a nice city too. Also, it's worth looking at Amsterdam, there's much more to it than you'd expect, lots of history, weird and wonderful museums etc.

Soldato
Sagradas familia and Tibidabo - awesome.

Plus, don't avoid the dodgy little restaurants. They're the good ones and very cheap. Try get a local to recommend you one. 3 of us had 3 starters, massive main, pudding, 3 bottles of wine, beers, etc. for €50 (not each, in total!). Awesome atmosphere and food.

The public transport is good. Get yourself a tube pass for the time you're there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah more sightseeing. The reason why Barca was mentioned, was that its a cheap flight from Birmingham.

It's a lovely city and a great place to go for a few days.

They've taken great strides on removing a lot of cars from the city centre, and are working on removing even more, its really quite nice walking around, plus there are loads of things to see. It's really not expensive either.

Back
Top Bottom