3 Months Working Abroad Without My Family .....

Soldato
I've done and it was an experience I'm glad I did. Working abroad can be eye-opening.

I wouldn't do it at the moment (one-year old son) but I wouldn't rule out doing it again when he's older.

Just watch out for American labour laws. If things don't go to plan, you could find yourself back in Blighty earlier than you had expected!

Soldato
12 weeks will fly by and having that extra money will help with the kitchen, holiday and probably some debt too (if you have any).

Your kids are old enough to understand and it's not like you'll not have any contact with them!

Man of Honour
This may also convey to your children that hard work pays off, a nice family holiday and a new kitchen. It may also help them understand that sometimes sacrifices or compromises need to be made in life. These should not be seen as negative if approached the right way.

It's only 12 weeks.

Associate
Plot twist, OP would make £15K in a similar time frame working from home.

Assuming you're aren't otherwise unemployed then 18K for 3 months is arbitrary when asking for opinions whether it's worth it for you.

Soldato
I've 2 kids, 5 and 2, for a 3 month work for the money, yes I'd take it.

Yes, I'd miss my family like crazy but it's not like you're going the backend of nowhere. They have internet, you video chat them every day, you keep up to date with them and you're still there :)

Soldato
As mentioned, explore the option of bringing them over around easter holidays. Rent a house for a week and stay with them even if you are working.

Also, at 12 and 13 its not like your kids are helpless (unless they are other factors we are not aware of) so can help your wife anyway.

If those in the military can do it for longer in less favourable conditions and still maintain a good home life, you should find it easy.

As to your wife thinking you are off to have a good time, thats something you need to talk to her about.

Soldato
I recently did a 20 month stint in Korea with my wife back in the UK, 13 weeks on 2 weeks off and it was tough.
Unfortunately I committed to it before we found out my wife couldn't return to Korea due to some visa issues but as the Oil and Gas market isn't great right now my alternatives weren't very good.
Yes I made some good money but its now sat in the bank or over payed on the mortgage cause i don't feel secure enough with the work environment right now to do what i want to and buy a expensive new car etc.
With a 8-9 hour time difference even skype/facetime calls don't make up for much and it was very hard on our relationship. Wifes/GF always think work trips away are holidays unless you have had to do travel with work it sounds like fun even when its really not. That and my mother passed while was in Korea and being thousands of miles away while that happened all of a sudden was a terrible experience.

It was part of the reason I didn't do the follow up assignment (the other reason being its in Iraq but that's a whole other issue), I needed to dedicate more time to my wife to make good on the time away.

3 months its fine but if your work is anything like mine then it cant turn into 6 or 16 very quickly.

As for living/working in the US. CHECK THE PACKAGE CAREFULLY. Tax, Medical, what allowances you get (accommodation subsistence travel etc), location. Where in Mississippi? I spent a fair amount of time in Mobil, Alabama and Baton Rouge, Louisiana and had a good friend who worked at Pascagoula, Mi, the deep south can be quite a culture shock for a Brit, the food is AMAZING but your don't want to be taking a public bus to work.

Man of Honour
It depends too much on your lifestyle and family situation really, but I would do it. I'd especially go for it if I could get the family across for a holiday while over there.

Associate
OP
Is the 18k before or after tax? On top of your existing salary?

I wish it was on top of my normal salary!

3 months work at home and I'd earn around £10,000 before tax. The extra £8,000 from working in America is a living allowance plus a daily top up on my wages. Plus it all depends on how much overtime I do.

After tax I'd expect to earn around £14,000 instead of around £7,500 at home.

Soldato
I think it's relevant to state what you would earn over the three months if you stay put. How much extra is the 18k? Before or after tax? Will you be unemployed when you return home after the three months? Are you giving up a steady job to take the job abroad?

I work away from home a lot, and these are things I would consider.

Soldato
I wish it was on top of my normal salary!

3 months work at home and I'd earn around £10,000 before tax. The extra £8,000 from working in America is a living allowance plus a daily top up on my wages. Plus it all depends on how much overtime I do.

After tax I'd expect to earn around £14,000 instead of around £7,500 at home.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So the benefit is £6.5k minus living expenses. Would you have accommodation paid for or would you have to fork out for that? From a financial stand point it certainly doesn't seem to be a 'no brainer' but if it's something you'd like to do and the family are comfortable (most important bit) then go for it.

Be sure to do LOTS of research on any US tax you may have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom