£300 DAC / headphone amp

Associate
Hi folks,

So I've got the itch for a new build, and I've decided to go for a mini ITX setup. This means my new motherboard will only have one PCI-e slot, which is where my GPU will go. Therefore I have nowhere to plug in my Asus Xonar Essence STX II.

I've long toyed with the idea of an external DAC of similar or greater audio quality to my STX II, so time to take the plunge.

All that to say I have a budget of £300. I need to be able to drive feed a set of powered stereo speakers and a set of 600 Ohm headphones. I've narrowed my search down to the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus (currently on sale at £300, usually £350).

Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger?

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply - I've got Edifier R1600T speakers which are powered if that's what you're asking (I see now that the word "drive" is misleading in my OP). The STX feeds both the speakers and the headphones.
I mainly use headphones (as my better half is usually in the same room watching tv), and I've got an open and closed set:

Beyerdynamic T70 (250 Ohm)
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium (600 Ohm)

Soldato
I got my dac magic plus for £200 a few years ago and it's a good amp. Good thing about the magic is it's also a pre amp and a headphone amp so can be used with your speakers and headphones.
Also look at Schitt, chord mojo and little dot.

Associate
OP
Wish I could line them all up for a listen before deciding. Tempted by a Schiit stack (even just for the name), esp as it comes in under budget.

I can see the Mojo has 2x 3.5mm outputs. However if I plug my speakers and headphones in I'm guessing it would drive both simultaneously, whereas I'd prefer the speakers receiving no feed if the headphones get plugged in, which I understand the DacMagic Plus and the Schiit Magni would do.

I'm in no real rush, so might hunt around for second hand units.

A few questions:

1) I presume any of the above would outperform my Essence STX II? Although not sure I'll hear a difference with my headphones/speakers as neither are particularly expensive.
2) Have I understood correctly from my Googling that I will lose positional audio in games by going for an external DAC vs a sound card?
3) Any benefit to connecting a DAC via USB vs optical? EDIT: it appears that USB offers the lowest possible jitter.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want to go with Schiit, your lucks in - they just announced the Magni 3, which is apparently better in every way, has all features of the Uber and will cost the same as the ordinary Magni 2 - I will be getting one for definite :)

ps. it's actually in stock for £110 @ Schiit Audio Europe (used to be Electromod)

Seems it's closest relative is the single ended output of the Schiit Jotunheim :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
If you want to go with Schiit, your lucks in - they just announced the Magni 3, which is apparently better in every way, has all features of the Uber and will cost the same as the ordinary Magni 2 - I will be getting one for definite :)

ps. it's actually in stock for £110 @ Schiit Audio Europe (used to be Electromod)

Seems it's closest relative is the single ended output of the Schiit Jotunheim :eek:
I waited so long they brought out the next version, result! What's the matching DAC then in terms of the same material, the Modi 2 non-uber? Or is there a Modi 3 on the horizon do we think?

Oh wait, think I've found the answer:

“We moved Modi 2 to a brushed aluminum top to match,” said Jason Stoddard. Modi 2’s $99 price does not increase, making a Modi 2/Magni 3 combination a potent, high-performance DAC/amp stack for $198.

http://www.schiit.com/news/news/schiit-introduces-magni-3

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want optical and co-axial inputs as well as a better analogue stage (borrowed from Bifrost) then the Modi 2 Uber is still the one to go for.
If you only need USB and the standard DAC is fine then the Modi 2 will match visually, although you will need to contact the retailer to ensure that it's not old stock, which has a painted steel top.

maj

maj

Soldato
Interesting thread as I asked myself a similar question a few month back and like you wanted to be able to switch between powered speakers and/or headphones. I was really tempted by the schiit stack even though it would have meant unplugging whatever input I didn't want the sound to come out of, rather than being able to hit or switch or turn a dial. Anyway I held off so good to know there's a Magni 3.

Can the Chord Mojo be run off mains? From what I've read on it is seems to be aimed at the portable market.

Back
Top Bottom