1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 to £500

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by Karl-Dale, 5 Sep 2021.

1. Karl-Dale

Associate

Hi there i know your probs going to laugh at me, but for £300 to £500 could i get a PC that will play anything?
    Kind Regards
    Karl

2. jigger

Capodecina

Probably not new. Towards the higher end of the budget you could maybe buy a prebuilt
    System with 5600G.

Another option would be the Mac mini M1. That would offer Ryzen 9 5900HX performance. Again though, probably not for £500.

3. 4K8KW10

Capodecina

4. jigger

Capodecina

Impressive build in the current situation.

5. Karl-Dale

Associate

Thanks guys..yeah i forgot to state i meant Secondhand!!
    Thanks for the help ill keep looking

6. GreatAuk

Mobster

Second hand might be a good idea depending on what you can get, but then again in the current market anything with a decent graphics card will probably be well out of budget. I might think about building a new PC - a 5600G might do your needs as a stopgap until gpu prices come down and you could drop in an upgraded gpu if desired. See benchmarks in video for an idea of what to expect from a 5600G:

My go at a build for just under your budget:
    My basket at Overclockers UK:
    Total: £493.60 (includes shipping: £11.70)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    If you had another few quid could get some 3600mhz ram for £20 more, or go for some more storage (eg £25 more for a bundled 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd, or £33 more for a 1TB SSD) as 512gb might get used up quite quickly with a few modern games installed.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2021
  7. Scoobyjacko

Associate

Not wanting to deviate too far from op's question... I'm wanting to build a pc for my granddaughter and its maybe 15 years since I built my last one... She is mainly a minecraft and roblox player, currently running my old gen 3 i3 3200 with onboard Intel 2500, so I'm thinking the build immediately above would give her a good way into a newer system and some insight into how a pc is built?

Questions- there's no cpu cooler on the list, I assume it'll need one? Similarly, need to add the cost of Win 10? We have an evo 840 ssd in the old pc, but I think I'd buy new as above to give us the chance to build it without decommissioning the old pc.

She is running a two monitor setup (1 via, 1 hdmi hd tv), the monitor will take dvi, but I think we may have to consider a new monitor too?

Thanks, Mark

8. mickyflinn

Capodecina

5600g comes woth a stock cooler but can always call to verify. Win 10 keys can be got for £10 online you just need to download windows installer andbput it onto a usb drive.

9. Joxeon

Sgarrista

A 10400F + used GTX 1060 3gb can be had for around the same price as a 5600G and offers over double the gaming performance.

The 10400F is also faster with a high end GPU if you decide to upgrade in the future.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Sep 2021
  10. Scoobyjacko

Associate

Thanks

11. Karl-Dale

Associate

Hey guy thanks very much for all the info really appreciate it!! looking into a few now see what i can get.
    Will keep you updated, thanks again
    Regards
    Karl

12. Scoobyjacko

Associate

upgrade options in the future do bother me a little, but I'm some way from that just now I think. I'll take a look at a few reviews before buying though, thanks

13. Joxeon

Sgarrista

I wouldn't worry to much about future upgrades when your on a budget, just get the best performance you can for the budget right now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Sep 2021
  14. GreatAuk

Mobster

As above, the 5600G should come with a cooler, and Tbf as pointed out above something like a 10400F with a second hand 1060 would give better performance if you can get hold of one. Either solution would be a significant upgrade on what she's got atm though!

One thing to add if you do go for a 5600G with the mobo in my build is you may have to upgrade the bios to get it to recognise the cpu. That board can update directly from a USB stick without a cpu though, so it's quite simple - no need for a spare cpu or anything.

You can get displayport to DVI (or vga for that matter) adapters (probably need to be 'active' rather than passive), so shouldn't be necessary to get a new monitor.

15. Cooler running

Wise Guy

That's the best I could do, it's mostly B grade part's though. Fitting both a GPU and CPU into £500 is difficult, as you tend to spend at least £100-£300 on CPU, and £200-£500 on GPU. Even in the best case you're approaching £500. £300 is a no go, look into the used market in such a case, a dell optiplex with a 1050ti thrown in might suit your price range better.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2021
  16. Joxeon

Sgarrista

That board doesn't support the 10400F, you need either a 400/500 series board.

17. Cooler running

Wise Guy

Not sure how I read socket 1200 on there, not that said build was really worth considering, half of it was B grade.

18. Scoobyjacko

Associate

I think I'm gonna go with the apu, at least as a start. Thanks for the note around needing a bios update first, looks simple enough to do pre-processor. I'll probably buy the parts over the next couple of months, then we can build it together as an early Christmas gift.

As a nod to her rgb likings, I've put in a slightly different case, but I hope it's suitable.

Please let me know if I've slipped up here, or missed anything (will get an o/s of course)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    Total: £517.20 (includes shipping: £12.30) ​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. mickyflinn

Capodecina

All looks good .

An extra £20 will get you double the storage.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...i-e-3.0-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-070-cr.html

20. dfour

Wise Guy