£3000 To Spend : Atmos Speaker System?

Soldato
Hi All
I have a budget of £3000 to spend on an amp, 5.1 speaker system and 2 ceiling speakers to enable downfiring atmos.
Currently have a LG SKY9 soundbar with the wireless surround speakers.
Looking for something with more punch, anyne recommend anything, or at that price range am I best staying with what I have?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Hi All
I have a budget of £3000 to spend on an amp, 5.1 speaker system and 2 ceiling speakers to enable downfiring atmos.
Currently have a LG SKY9 soundbar with the wireless surround speakers.
Looking for something with more punch, anyne recommend anything, or at that price range am I best staying with what I have?

Thanks
The amp is fairly easy. Your starting point is a Denon AVR-X2700 @ £599. Maybe look at going up a model depending what happens with the speakers.

Atmos works best with very focused sound from above. The best way to achieve this is for the in-ceiling speakers to have a swivel to the whole basket. That's the woofer as well as the tweeter. Speakers with this feature are going to be pricey though. You could end up paying as much for 2 speakers as the AV receiver, so start looking around. Don't forget fire hoods for the in-ceilings.

The main 5.1 speakers; are you looking for something discrete or would you prefer more performance? It affects the size of the speakers.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice mate.
For the speakers I was hoping to have a bit more performance!
I had kef uprights years ago and loved them!

What about kilsch ceiling speakers?

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the advice mate.
For the speakers I was hoping to have a bit more performance!
I had kef uprights years ago and loved them!

What about kilsch ceiling speakers?

Thanks again.
The Klipsch would be fine but the angled ones are over £500 each.

Tonality doesn't matter so much with effects speakers. There are some Compact Audio C6-LCR mkII at £190 each. I'm not sure what the angle is though. Could be 15 degrees. You need to know this to plan the speaker position. Speaker models get progressively more expensive as the angles change from 15 to 25-30 degrees and up to 45 degrees.

Soldato
Look at the reviews for the Sony HT-A9 and Accompanying wireless sub-woofer..

I've tried 5.1.2 (2 ceiling, 5 ear level) speakers and the cohesiveness is not that great with panning, I've heard a 7.2.4 set which is leagues better, and so I'm on the journey with that, but getting an 11 channel amp is £2k.. + speakers + 2 subs = mega bux..

I've already got the speakers / subs so I will continue on the journey, but if I was starting from scratch, I'd seriously look at the Sony HT-A9, the reviews of the sound bubble it creates with no setup and just 4 speakers seems really worth seriously considering, it's just hte cost, that and it's matching sub is £2400ish..

Soldato
OP
I have looked at them mate, and watched the Linus YouTube review on them.
Only issue is finding them in stock. I think they would be perfect for me to be honest. Plus another £500 for the sub I would be well under budget.

Soldato
Look at the reviews for the Sony HT-A9 and Accompanying wireless sub-woofer..

I've tried 5.1.2 (2 ceiling, 5 ear level) speakers and the cohesiveness is not that great with panning, I've heard a 7.2.4 set which is leagues better, and so I'm on the journey with that, but getting an 11 channel amp is £2k.. + speakers + 2 subs = mega bux..

I've already got the speakers / subs so I will continue on the journey, but if I was starting from scratch, I'd seriously look at the Sony HT-A9, the reviews of the sound bubble it creates with no setup and just 4 speakers seems really worth seriously considering, it's just hte cost, that and it's matching sub is £2400ish..
HT-A9s are very good

Soldato
Don't know if any truth to this, but might be worth a call to RS if interested.

I have the A9'S and am super happy with them. While it won't beat a full wired Atmos system, it still does a very very good job and placement and tuning is a breeze. The sub is a must, although I ended up with the SW3 rather than the SW5 as room size isn't the biggest. I'd say as long as you have normal height ceilings and not a huge open room, you would definitely be happy with them. That being said, if you can go full wires and add ceiling speakers it will blow you away. Just take into consideration if you will ever plan to move, or redecorate/rearrange room etc, then that's where the ease of the Sony's has the advantage.

Soldato
£3000 will get you a goodsseperates system

I wouldn't even consider that Sony.

Wharfedale system £1000 7.1.4 (excluding the sub) with monoprice 10" or 12" sub. Far higher quality than that sony

Back
Top Bottom