• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 GTA V (1440p)

Associate
I hope this is in the correct place.

I have recently got a Asus RTX 3070 dual oc 8gb and it is currently paired with a Ryzen 2600x (until 5600x become available at a decent price.) i have 16gb of corsair 3200mhz corsair ram and run my games on a 1tb nvme drive. I recently installed GTA V and maxed out all the settings (1440p 144hz) i am also using natural vision remastered mod.

My issue is i am only seeing a max of 70 fps and a low of 45fps even though the gpu and cpu are at 50% usage. Surely something isn’t right? I thought fps start to get lower due to hardware usage? My gpu does hit 80% sometimes but not for long and goes back down to 50-60% and yet i am still getting 45 fps. I have used task manager and msi afterburner to view usage.

I have have watched various benchmark videos and everyone seems to have higher fps and almost 100% usage consistently. Anyone have any idea whats happening? Is it normal for gta?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato

I have recently got a Asus RTX 3070 dual oc 8gb and it is currently paired with a Ryzen 2600x (until 5600x become available at a decent price.) i have 16gb of corsair 3200mhz corsair ram and run my games on a 1tb nvme drive. I recently installed GTA V and maxed out all the settings (1440p 144hz) i am also using natural vision remastered mod.

My issue is i am only seeing a max of 70 fps and a low of 45fps even though the gpu and cpu are at 50% usage. Surely something isn’t right? I thought fps start to get lower due to hardware usage? My gpu does hit 80% sometimes but not for long and goes back down to 50-60% and yet i am still getting 45 fps. I have used task manager and msi afterburner to view usage.

I have have watched various benchmark videos and everyone seems to have higher fps and almost 100% usage consistently. Anyone have any idea whats happening? Is it normal for gta?

Natural vision does the same for me as well on my 3090.

In certain areas i'll get as high as 140fps but it can easily stumble down to 50fps in some regions, in particular where it transitions to the desert side.. never got round to fixing it or finding a fix as i just stay in the city side lol.

Soldato
GTA V has always been poorly optimised. I have the same issue without any mods with a 3080 and a 3600. I think it's quite CPU intensive (especially online). In single player mode I get higher FPS.

Soldato
Are you looking at the overall CPU usage or is that across the board? As an example, you could have 3 cores maxed out at 100% while the overall CPU usage is 50% which makes a CPU bottleneck harder to spot, which in this case it probably is. GTA V is a poorly optimised game so it won't be using all 6 cores to their full potential. A 5600x would be a huge improvement.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does the game perform on your system without the mod?

It is possible that you are seeing a CPU bottleneck (low GPU utilisation normally indicates this although it can be more complicated*) but it may also be poor optimisation as a result of the mod causing the issue.

*As @CuriousTomCat mentions above it may be that specific cores of your CPU are being maxed out but not all of them leading to a reported 50% utilisation. You don't mention but are you showing individual core utilisation in MSI Afterburner overlay or just CPU as a whole?

Soldato
AA is a big hitter in gta 5 i think, also maybe turn vsync off ingame but use a profile for gta v in nvidia panel and use adaptive. Also maybe set power to max perf in there too? Could also set the exe in task man/details to above normal priority?

Soldato
Some of the settings in GTA V are absolutely killer. Off the top of my head draw distances, reflections (and reflection AA) and grass absolutely butcher FPS.

When the game first came out I put 100 hours in on a 2500K & GTX 780, optimising the settings so I got about 80fps at 1440p.

Permabanned
LMAO upper midrange GPU trash tier CPU

you 've created a recipee for disaster

u need 5600x or some stuff like that or 10400f 11400f will be mildly better than that turd old CPU. it doesnt even matter if u have high gpu utilization or not --- that CPU will drop frames hard lmao %1 lows all over the place :cry: if u have the tolerance for that. but u wasting that gpu. max gpu for that cpu is gtx 1060 1070 lmao. and 1070 is stretching. i wouldnt pair anything above a rx 580 1060 with that cpu realistically

Caporegime

u need 5600x or some stuff like that or 10400f 11400f will be mildly better than that turd old CPU. it doesnt even matter if u have high gpu utilization or not --- that CPU will drop frames hard lmao %1 lows all over the place :cry: if u have the tolerance for that. but u wasting that gpu. max gpu for that cpu is gtx 1060 1070 lmao. and 1070 is stretching. i wouldnt pair anything above a rx 580 1060 with that cpu realistically

My brain hurts reading this. Kids these days....

Man of Honour

At 1440p you really don't see that kind of difference - even at 1080p a 3070 will give around 60+% performance increase over a 1070 on that CPU though you can be 20+% slower on a 2600X than 5600X. Granted 5000 series Ryzen can bring the lows up quite a bit. But at 1440p you are generally talking 10 maybe 20% performance loss from a 2600X over 5600X in games with a 3070.

Handily there are reviews like https://www.techspot.com/article/2201-four-years-of-ryzen-5-gpu-scaling/

Soldato

Good news for you then! *** BIG SAVINGS ON AMD RYZEN PROCESSORS ***

Soldato

Santa is bringing you a dictionary for Christmas!

Permabanned
At 1440p you really don't see that kind of difference - even at 1080p a 3070 will give around 60+% performance increase over a 1070 on that CPU though you can be 20+% slower on a 2600X than 5600X. Granted 5000 series Ryzen can bring the lows up quite a bit. But at 1440p you are generally talking 10 maybe 20% performance loss from a 2600X over 5600X in games with a 3070.

Handily there are reviews like https://www.techspot.com/article/2201-four-years-of-ryzen-5-gpu-scaling/

https://youtu.be/-CUQCyMHjyo?t=334

Permabanned
My brain hurts reading this. Kids these days....
Here's a revisioned version just for you. You've earned this, my dear fellow. I feel sorry that I made your big old brain hurt. :):)

So, you've paired an upper-mid range GPU with a really low end CPU? That's so funny. No wonder you're experiencing huge bottlenecks with your system.

This combo is practically a recipe for disaster.

For such powerful GPUs, you may consider more powerful and recent CPUs such as Ryzen 5 5600x or Intel i5 11400f depending on your budget. These CPUs will be much faster than what you currently have and will help immensely to your bottlenecking problems. You may still observe high GPU utilization in some games with the current setup, but having high framerates and high utilization is not the be all and end all. Even at high GPU utilizations, the bad CPU might still cause brief and momentary frame drops, which are called %1 lows and ends up disrupting the overall gaming experience. If you have a tolerance for such frame drops, all the power to you but you would still be wasting a high-octane engine with bad tires with such a pairing. Realistically, I wouldn't pair a 2600x with any GPU more powerful than a GTX 1070 at 1080p, and a RTX 3060/2080 at 1440p.

"

Associate
GTAV is not the best optimised game, people are going on about your CPU but i am not sure even a new CPU would fix your problem on that specific game.

Caporegime
Here's a revisioned version just for you. You've earned this, my dear fellow. I feel sorry that I made your big old brain hurt. :):)

So, you've paired an upper-mid range GPU with a really low end CPU? That's so funny. No wonder you're experiencing huge bottlenecks with your system.

This combo is practically a recipe for disaster.

For such powerful GPUs, you may consider more powerful and recent CPUs such as Ryzen 5 5600x or Intel i5 11400f depending on your budget. These CPUs will be much faster than what you currently have and will help immensely to your bottlenecking problems. You may still observe high GPU utilization in some games with the current setup, but having high framerates and high utilization is not the be all and end all. Even at high GPU utilizations, the bad CPU might still cause brief and momentary frame drops, which are called %1 lows and ends up disrupting the overall gaming experience. If you have a tolerance for such frame drops, all the power to you but you would still be wasting a high-octane engine with bad tires with such a pairing. Realistically, I wouldn't pair a 2600x with any GPU more powerful than a GTX 1070 at 1080p, and a RTX 3060/2080 at 1440p.

"

I feel balance has been restored to the universe.

Back
Top Bottom