1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

3070 prices creeping up daily...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ShakeNBake, 22 Oct 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Oblong

Wise Guy

The forces in play are the same, sure.

2. chaparral

Capodecina

I have a feeling that the 3070 release is going be no different

Think you have more chance buying a lottery ticket and winning the jackpot then getting a 3000 series gpu :p

3. Gerard

Caporegime

I sense a healthy dose of sarcasm :p

4. Chaos666

Wise Guy

if 3070 will be around 2080ti performance the price will have to drop

I am waiting for the reviews as well but I think it will not be worth.. you will get probably 300-350 for 1080ti and pay additional 200 for probably around 25% performance?
    I am planning to go with 3080...

5. Rimsy

Soldato

Just goes to show.... if something seems to good to be true it usually is. Nvidia giveth, resellers taketh away.
    Bend over suckers.

6. TNA

Capodecina

:p

7. X-Mikuru_Beam-X

Hitman

Yeah but, I CANT honestly see myself looking on OCUK store one day and actually seeing the 3080 in stock :D:D:D

8. gundamgeforce

Associate

that probably wont occur till 40x series nearly out tbh

9. LlamaSteve

Associate

In the stock announcement from @Gibbo this was written..."3070 launch incoming, we have product in stock for launch, but nothing shall be displayed in stock as we feel it will sell out fast but as before I shall hint which brands stands forum members the best chance of grabbing one"

I'm confused. Will the 3070 product pages show live stock on Thursday to order? or is there some other way to order for forum members? thx.

10. southernorth

Wise Guy

Going on previous launches, shortly before launch he'll make a post saying which brands/models they have more stock of, and so higher chance your order will be fulfilled. No special ordering system for forum members.

11. LlamaSteve

Associate

Cheers. Yes he hinted already on a brand, just wasn't clear if it was still a bun fight once they go live. It'd be more useful to give us a heads up of time of preorders opening up :) Thanks.

12. southernorth

Wise Guy

Everything I've read says 1pm.

13. HangTime

Man of Honour

I dunno, the 970 cost £259 on launch and you say you paid £400 for your 1070 on launch. So we're talking a price rise of about 50% / £140. The RTX3070 price rise compared to RTX2070 doesn't seem any worse than that?
    If by xx70 you mean it needs 2 digits before the 70 then it's a bit of a limited comparison given there's only a single point of reference (1070 to 2070).

14. ShakeNBake

Wise Guy

I got a 970 on launch too ^_^ what a beast of a card that was for it's time. Then the 8GB 1070 came along and obliterated it a few short years later. And here we are now..

You know anyone who's pay went up by +50% over 4 yrs? Most ppl are lucky to get +3% (per year) these days. There's no way the average person can keep up with these bonkers price rises.

Honestly I find it amazing that these are selling out so fast at these prices, but it really was a "perfect storm" of pandemic->lockdown + technology breakthrough etc. making it a perfect time to invest in home entertainment for those who weathered the storm raging around us and can still afford to drop that kind of money on hobbies (which is probably a minority in the current climate).

I'm still undecided as to what to do on 29th but you can bet my ass I'll be spamming F5 til the last second of the countdown (like most of us) and if I just so happen to get one in my basket then maybe just maybe I'll be foolish enough to bite.. desperate times..! would much rather have a 3080 tho if i could get one for £650 but that ain't happening any time even remotely soon so WTF do you do instead? wait it out (for maybe 1yr+) or try ur luck with a 3070 instead..? decisions decisions..

1070 is still a decent card for most games at 1440p, but it does struggle with some and no chance @ 4k/60fps which is the gold standard everyone's hankering after atm with 4k TV's being as cheap as they are now. (sure 1440p/144hz is good for fast games, but for the truly cinematic experience in blockbuster titles, 4k is the way to go!)

Then there's also Cyberpunk which many people want to upgrade in time for.. ;)

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

Funny enough I get almost exactly a 3% pay rise PA - but it comes as 9% every 3 years :s

Still holds up well enough for me - with G-Sync I'm happy enough at 60-70FPS at 1440P in single player and for multiplayer I tend to sacrifice settings to get the clearest view anyhow which pushes it up to benefiting high refresh rates.

I only do 4K in games I use a controller with such as racing games and fortunately so far those I play just about manage at 4K on my 1070 - though it is adequate rather than ideal.

16. Trustdesa

Gangster

The problem isn't the pricing, the problem is the PRICE of people paying stupid amount for something with 8gb Vram slower than a PS5 for more money and extra on power bill as they are overly power hungry...as usual the problem isn't the thieving manufacturer but the consumers, same as with politician, the problem is the people. :)

17. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Asus 3070 now listed for £10 more than a 3080-FE. :p

18. The Old School Gamer

Wise Guy

If I buy another graphics card while I wait for my 3080 to turn up it will be a AMD RX6xxx card, not an 3070.

19. Simon Belmont

Soldato

what lol I wouldn’t even bother with this series. Nvidia and all the greedy retailers can go fly a kite.

20. robj20

Capodecina

Sorry to tell you this but 3% a year is not the same as 9% every 3 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.