• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 TI @ £799 - doesn't feel too stupid a price?

Associate
So, have a 1080ti and I could do with upgrading as there are a few games coming out this year (not least Total War Warhammer 3 next week) where I would like some more ooomph for the eye candy.

Have been on the Telegram alerts for an FE for ages, but I never manage to get to my phone in time before they are gone.

My smallish case and power supply are unlikely to cope with a 3090, or probably a 3080 so I'm looking at a 3070 or 3070 TI as an upgrade for now.

Saw on Overclockers a 3070 ti that is in stock and £799. Now, that is £250 more than the FE BUT 3rd party cards have always been a bit more expensive, and compared to the last year or so, that's not too bad in terms of uplift.

Overall, I'm appalled at the cost of graphics cards at the moment, however it doesn't look to be changing any time soon, and a 3070 ti will be a 30%ish improvement on the 1080ti, alongside having ray tracing and DLSS. Given it seems I'm never going to get an FE as I'll never be able to response in the 60 seconds that it seems I'll need to, am I stupid for thinking that a 3070 ti for £799 isn't too bad a deal (when the FE is £550 anyway) ?

Caporegime
There's no chance I'd spend £800 on a 3070ti but each to their own. The FE model was available for a good 10-15 mins last night in total between the two drops.

It's taking longer and longer for them to sell out on each drop (though could be argued there are just more cards in the drop) and there are small signs that prices are coming down ever so slowly on custom models.

Soldato
Yeah I would hang on and get more use out of your still great 1080ti.
As prices come down you may want to consider a 3080/ti as more noticeable upgrade + extra VRAM for the long-term.

Soldato
Massive uptick in 'used' cards on the auction sites, prices dropping daily it'll be like a wave building until it becomes a tsunami of cards that people are trying to sell even close to the price they might have paid, hoping speculatively to be the first to shift them as the prices drop.

Soldato
Wouldn't bother , not like you have nothing stick with the 1080ti and wait

FE dropped yesterday 3070ti £549 it's one of the cards that doesn't sell out as quickly . £250 extra no thanks

Soldato
The card I sold in Dec is now going for over £300 less.

Stock on shelves, supply improving, electricity prices going up 50% in April, mining has tanked...your 1080ti is still a good card.

I'd wait.

Soldato
Stock on shelves, supply improving, electricity prices going up 50% in April, mining has tanked...your 1080ti is still a good card.

Yeah this is a big one if you aren't on a fixed tariff or have solar/batteries/TOU tariff, and are UK based. Makes mining payback times way longer, so in turn the card prices will fall, as the risk is much greater with the supply chain improving throughout 2022.

Soldato
As others have said. Im in exactly the same boot with a 1080ti. I spent months at the start trying to grab a FE 3080. Anything less than that just isn't worth the upgrade.

Associate
Think there were 3080 FEs on the drop last night - £650

But in the scheme of things £799 isn't too bad for a 3070ti as they've mostly been £900+... however stock is up and prices are-a-falling currently so...

Last edited:
Soldato
Not too long ago help my brother get a 3070, however that was best part of another £100 less; and the 3070TI is really not that much faster than the 3070; the 3060TI, 3070 and 3080 are all much better cards in terms of per rata differences, and pricing.

If you can hold and see what happens over the next few months on the next gen, or wait and see if you can see a better deal on a 3060TI or 3070, then that would be a better idea. Personally, the 3070Ti is the weakest, prospect wise, in the lineup of the ampere cards; based on performance difference between the model it's supposedly based on (3070) and the next model up (3080)
The 3060TI is a decent jump over the 3060, and not THAT far off the 3070; the 3070Ti by contrast is only a few percent faster than a 3070. The 3080 is another 10-15% or so faster, dependent on resolution and title.

If you get it for the same price as a 3070, fine, but its really not worth substantially more.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There's no chance I'd spend £800 on a 3070ti but each to their own. The FE model was available for a good 10-15 mins last night in total between the two drops.

It's taking longer and longer for them to sell out on each drop (though could be argued there are just more cards in the drop) and there are small signs that prices are coming down ever so slowly on custom models.
Exactly. Demand is not what it used to be and new cards are not far off if rumours are to be believed. I was thinking of grabbing another FE card but now that I am playing Dying Light 2 which is what it would have been for and the 3070 is coping admirably, I probably won’t bother.

Roll on 4000 series :)

Associate
The rrp is what £500? So right now there is only stupid prices. Problem is, it a bit cheaper than before so we are trying to justify these prices because of that thinking it a bargain.

I think in a couple of months the prices will go down a decent amount.

Cards aren't just dissapearing off the shelfs just now, demand is either down or more cards are being produced, either way prices will start to drop to just stupid prices rather than ridiculous ones.

Associate
I still remember the days when I picked up a flagship 980ti for around £650 lol. Those were the days.

I'd personally hold out a bit longer if you can. I paid over the odds for my graphics card and I regret it.

Soldato
At £799 that's still around a 50% markup over MSRP but given inflation and what not I doubt new cards will ever get back to level even if miners are less interested. Personally I don't think it's a particularly palatable at that price although at £699 is worthy of consideration (even though I would probably stomach the £100 and get a RX6800 for the extra VRAM).

@Alexrose1uk - you might want to sort out you signature (to many lines) before the mods award you the 'sig of shame'

Caporegime
As an existing 1080ti owner, Hell would freeze over before I paid ~ £800 on a 3070ti, at best it gives around 20 - 25% performance increase over the 1080ti...

I'd be overclocking and saving my cash.

Prices are still very much a joke, £800 for a still mid range card is an absolute **** take, unfortunately, the distorted market has made silly prices look somewhat reasonable to some, which I'd suggest was the grand plan all along....

Back
Top Bottom