• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Associate
These thermal pads has truly terrified me now for graphics cards. Every other card I've had, has had thermal pads that are quite thin then dried up. Now pads are thick and breaking down with oil after 2 - 3 years of use drenching the PCB.

Yes, generally you don't want the pads to be thick. That's probably why you guys are seeing overheating problems with the memory chips, 1.5mm or 0.07" is quite thick already, normally these things are more like 0.2mm or something to that effect. They are used as silicon paste replacement as they don't create a mess or migrate easily, except apparently these ones do; another problem is that pads are expensive, which you guys already know... They also lets you cool different height chips without a flat cooling plate, which is what's going on here I believe. You can even buy kind of tack on putty that will mould to the components when you press it in but that's a different story.

I checked around a bit and it seems this Gelid stuff is actually fairly high performance one and priced pretty low. What is not good at all is that they tell you sweet F-A of what material it is, what the compressibility and other characteristics are, in other words, there is no datasheet, no designer would go near that stuff without more information. T-global is a big player in TIM, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually make the gelid pads, they have similar performance pads (not necessarily cheaper) but since there's no starting point to know even the compressibility or the material type..

Associate
So you're not going to be happy with this. In fact I think NO ONE is going to be happy with this.

Another user just repadded his 3080 FE and took a digital caliper to the original pads and the VRAM pads measured out at 1.5mm. Yours are 2mm.

Measuring the original pads is not that straightforward as they've been compressed, you're measuring the target thickness, not so much the original sheet thickness. If you have a section that's clearly hanging off the chip by more than one or two mm and thus not having been compressed at all, , you might get a reasonable dimension. Soft TIM works better the more it's compressed but obviously then you have to apply more and more pressure.. Visually the MOSFET TIMs are compressed by a fair bit, VRAM not so much.

If Gelid gave you a compression/force/thermal resistance curve it'd be easier to figure out how much "flex" you have. The PCB itself will of course also deflect albeit there's this bracket on the reverse side to counter that (somewhat).

Soldato
There are 3mm Ultimates out also. 90mm * 50mm "2 pack" as well as a 120mm * 120mm one. Prepare to donate a kidney to pay for it.
You can get them on Amazon or on Gelidstore, which is Gelid's own store in Hong Kong. (Disclaimer: these are NOT competitors since ocuk doesn't even sell these pads).

Or you can take your chances with these:
(go to amazon and search for Zezzio New 14.8 W/mK Silicone Thermal Pad for Heatsink GPU CPU RAM SSD LED Cooler IC Chipset Cooling(120x120x3mm)

I would only need 1pc 90mm#50mm only for replacing stock pads on back GP Ultimate 1pc 2.0mm 90x50 Thermal Pad £11.30 or GP Ultimate 1pc 3.0mm 90x50 Thermal Pad £17.20 just need to find out which is needed for back, I doubt its 3mm as the extreme are squishy and ultimate aint so think 2mm will be fine

Associate
Bought a 3080FE from ***elsewhere*** on 23 NOV 2021. I was one of the lucky ones to click the link the second it appeared.

Mined on it to see what Memory Junction Temps i could get and i am seeing 96 degrees with 75% fan and getting 95MH/s
96.png

It seems the more reccent 3080s are not using the same thickness thermal pads than the old version. Most of the youtube guides on 3080FE themrla pad replacements are for the OG version.

I was reading the comments section of this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NTHGuNSbY

and I can see there are some guys who had some success with the new revision of the 3080FE in the last few days.
yt.png

I am not sure if i should be touching my new 3080FE. Is 96degrees sustained mem junction temp too high?
Is there a way to see the manufacturer date on the card or box without taking it apart?

Really not sure if i want to mod it now and the GELID extreme 2mm + 3mm come in the post this weekend!

p.s. My 3080 is in a NR200P MAX which comes with a 280mm radiator and 2 fans stuck on it. Apart from that, the case has ZERO case fans! I got the case sides open though

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Bought a 3080FE from ***elsewhere*** on 23 NOV 2021. I was one of the lucky ones to click the link the second it appeared.

Mined on it to see what Memory Junction Temps i could get and i am seeing 96 degrees with 75% fan and getting 95MH/s
96.png

It seems the more reccent 3080s are not using the same thickness thermal pads than the old version. Most of the youtube guides on 3080FE themrla pad replacements are for the OG version.

I was reading the comments section of this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NTHGuNSbY

and I can see there are some guys who had some success with the new revision of the 3080FE in the last few days.
yt.png

I am not sure if i should be touching my new 3080FE. Is 96degrees sustained mem junction temp too high?
Is there a way to see the manufacturer date on the card or box without taking it apart?

Really not sure if i want to mod it now and the GELID extreme 2mm + 3mm come in the post this weekend!

p.s. My 3080 is in a NR200P MAX which comes with a 280mm radiator and 2 fans stuck on it. Apart from that, the case has ZERO case fans! I got the case sides open though
Hmm. So I watercooled in the end. But bought the 2mm gelid extreme before that decision, and never tried. My cooler I think said June 2021.... So may not have worked anyway...

Your temps are fine.

Date of cooler is stamped on inside.

Soldato

96.png

yt.png

Temps seem fine tbh, I've been mining on my one for over 6 months at 106c and it's been ok so far. I would only change the pads if it was hitting 110C and throttling the hash rate. Any premature failure will be covered by the 3 year warranty and Nvidia will rep it with a brand new card and since the card hasn't been opened there is no chance of them declining.

Soldato

96.png

yt.png

Yeah seems to be 2 versions of the heatsink as @Falkentyne pointed out

What worked on the older with 2mm extreme gelid pads don't work on the recent ones just giving high gpu and hotspot temps these heatsinks have date 2021 printed on them

No one's actually confirmed what's changed and conflicting information to what pads to actually use on these

Associate

I recently also got a 3080 on in the November drop and have ordered a sheet of 2mm gelid extreme pads and some arctic mx-4.

I'm throttling at 110 degrees on Memory Junction temp seconds after mining and also hitting 106 degrees in game fairly quickly so it looks like I'm going to need to mod the pads.

But seeing the differing results, I might give it a couple of months to see if anyone else has any success with the 2mm only or the 2mm + 1.5mm method before attempting it myself.

Soldato
I recently also got a 3080 on in the November drop and have ordered a sheet of 2mm gelid extreme pads and some arctic mx-4.

I'm throttling at 110 degrees on Memory Junction temp seconds after mining and also hitting 106 degrees in game fairly quickly so it looks like I'm going to need to mod the pads.

But seeing the differing results, I might give it a couple of months to see if anyone else has any success with the 2mm only or the 2mm + 1.5mm method before attempting it myself.

I've seen Reddit post of someone saying had success with 1.5mm extreme gelid for the VRAM and 2mm extreme for the VRM it's only the one person could be as this is recent change and will start to see more try and get better idea

@Jay-G25 pointed out he had issues with 2mm extreme but success by using 1.5mm ultimate gelid pads on die side on both VRAM and VRM

Actually reading back jay-g25 used 2mm ultimate so makes sense why they didn't work as they don't compress as good

Doesn't seem to be much information with the ones that used 2mm extreme and gave high gpu and hotspot temps and what was used instead to solve it . As it seems Nvidia has changed something with heatsink on the recent 3080fe

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen Reddit post of someone saying had success with 1.5mm extreme gelid for the VRAM and 2mm extreme for the VRM it's only the one person could be as this is recent change and will start to see more try and get better idea

@Jay-G25 pointed out he had issues with 2mm extreme but success by using 1.5mm ultimate gelid pads on die side on both VRAM and VRM

I've just ordered a set of the 1.5mm Extreme pads before it sells out from everyone trying this new method. Both my 2mm and 1.5mm should arrive this weekend but I'm definitely going to wait for a few other people to try and confirm that the 1.5mm + 2mm method works before cracking my 3080 open. Waited too long for it to try untested methods on it :cry:

Associate
I’ve had memory pads dry up after about 1 month of mining (they were stock thermal pads that come with Corsair water block for 3080). Replaced those with Gelid Extreme and they were rock solid constantly mining for about 8 months now keeping memory temp between 60-70c.
Definitely worth the price.

Soldato
What are you waiting for? I used 2mm extremes just on the mem and vrms, mx4 for paste. Don't bother with the backside. Games are like 75-80c mem junction and 60-65c gpu at 40% fan.

Associate

Actually reading back jay-g25 used 2mm ultimate so makes sense why they didn't work as they don't compress as good

Doesn't seem to be much information with the ones that used 2mm extreme and gave high gpu and hotspot temps and what was used instead to solve it . As it seems Nvidia has changed something with heatsink on the recent 3080fe

Yeah i used Ultimate on mine which is why i had issues with 2mm as they were to hard and didn't allow the cold plate too make contact with the die, used 1.5mm and was absolutely perfect with the Ultimate. so if wanting to use Ultimate i can 100% confirm they work and have no issue with hot spots etc :)

Soldato
Yeah i used Ultimate on mine which is why i had issues with 2mm as they were to hard and didn't allow the cold plate too make contact with the die, used 1.5mm and was absolutely perfect with the Ultimate. so if wanting to use Ultimate i can 100% confirm they work and have no issue with hot spots etc :)

If you said it didn't work with 2mm extreme I would be more confident , seems like Nvidia has changed something in the recent heatsinks so where in the past 2mm extreme worked it doesn't in the recent ones the recent heatsinks have date printed as 2021 doesn't seem to be much information why and what works instead

Associate
If you said it didn't work with 2mm extreme I would be more confident , seems like Nvidia has changed something in the recent heatsinks so where in the past 2mm extreme worked it doesn't in the recent ones the recent heatsinks have date printed as 2021 doesn't seem to be much information why and what works instead

I've never used the Extreme pads unfortunately so no idea what actually works or not with them just i know 1.5mm ultimate are perfect for the front and 2mm on the rear , i used Kryonaut paste and hot spot is 11 deg over core which would indicate there is good contact now . Mem sits around 84deg at 50% fan speed or 94 if left stock where the fans stay at 39% :)

Soldato
My drop is from September, whats changed?

What worked in the past using 2mm extreme gelid for die side no longer works on recent ones , guides posted that worked are old and if you look at recent comments on them most are having issues with high gpu and hotspot temps so seems to indicate the same pads are too thick either gelid has changed the pads or heatsink have been changed in some way dates printed on recent heatsinks are 2021 if that means anything

Can't really find any info what pads actually work now

Soldato
Who says, some random on reddit? provide links proof. It's probably noobs messing up the install.

That's what I thought first but isn't that case actually have first hand experience of it

My own one which I got around 8 months ago no issues with using 2mm extreme , while my friend who recently got one doesn't and I followed everything exactly the same even tried twice incase did something wrong

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom