• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Associate
You only really need to do the side with the gpu for VRM and VRAM , replacing pads on backplate hardly makes any difference might as well keep the stock pads on

You could try 2mm gelid extreme if you get high GPU and hotspot change to 1.5mm gelid ultimate pretty sure you'll get the issue as the 3080fe I had issue with 2mm extreme pads was from the November drop, heatsink dated 06/18/2021

I tested few hours of mining on it , was 101mh fans at 60% and it never went above 82c on vram that's with 2 120mm fans underneath it at 1000rpm

Keep note everyone will get different results with different setups
I will take photos and maybe even video document my Nov 2021 drop 3080FE teardown. Im going to buy the 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate for the backside and ignore the front side and leave the stock pads there.

Willl report back next weekend

Associate
I will take photos and maybe even video document my Nov 2021 drop 3080FE teardown. Im going to buy the 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate for the backside and ignore the front side and leave the stock pads there.

Its the front pads that need changing the most not the rear , and if you only want to do the rear then you will need 2.0mm ultimate pads . the 1.5mm is for the front side .

Soldato

Front side is GPU side.

That's the side you want to do.

Associate
So I re did it all using 1.5mm gelid extreme on die side on VRAM and VRM and so far it looks promising just ran benchmark for around 10mins at stock and max temp gpu got to was 75c and hotspot at 85c so 10c delta which seems excellent Vram got to 84c this is in room with temp of 25c will have to test more I also used the paste syy 157 which is meant to be better as its thicker and not prone to pump out effect it was difficult to spread but found technique:)

Thanks for letting me know. Those are great numbers, hopefully the key is 1.5mm all round on the newer 3080's then. My 1.5mm arrived yesterday so will need to try it at some point soon.

Its 1.5mm extremes i've got rather than ultimates. So hopefully that won't affect anything too much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for letting me know. Those are great numbers, hopefully the key is 1.5mm all round on the newer 3080's then. My 1.5mm arrived yesterday so will need to try it at some point soon.

Its 1.5mm extremes i've got rather than ultimates. So hopefully that won't affect anything too much.

been testing it more over the weekend , I did note down benchmark scores and temps at stock before swapping the pads so could compare after swap temps are like 5c down on gpu delta doesnt go past 10c , the vram doesnt go past 84c now and its showing as its beating the benchmark scores I did at stock now not massive difference but its nice to see I can move onto undervolting and setting custom fan curve to get the most out of it now

would love to know whats changed with the cards that worked using 2mm gelid extreme

Associate
My Gelid Ultimate 1.5mm arrived.
So did some unwanted Gelid Extreme 3.0mm as well.
Need to order some thermal paste, oor go into the loft and find the Cooler Master CPU paste that came with my NR200P Max last month.

I am still in 2 minds if i want to do the mod on this Nov 2021 3080FE. Im mining at 100MH/s with stock pads and the memory junction temp is 96 -100 over the 24 hour period. Winter is coming and it is freezing today, so temps are lower by a degree or 2 on the memory junction.

Maybe hold fire until i actually see a 105 degrees on the memroy junction. Highest i seen in a week of mining at 100MH/s is 102 accopording to HWInfo 4, but when i look its always 98 degrees (Average is 98.7 degrees over a 24 hour period)

Caporegime
Sorry guys, late to the party - but from reading the last few pages my late Nov 21 3080FE should be in better shape and might not need the thermal pads replacing? New build so not put stuff together yet as still waiting for a couple of things. Just trying to anticipate anything...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Sorry guys, late to the party - but from reading the last few pages my late Nov 21 3080FE should be in better shape and might not need the thermal pads replacing? New build so not put stuff together yet as still waiting for a couple of things. Just trying to anticipate anything...

ps3ud0 :cool:

My late Nov 21 3080 still hits high memory junction temps of 105/110. If I attempt to mine, it hits it very very quickly so the problem is not eradicated.

I plan to change my pads over Christmas following the same approach @uscool followed.

Soldato
My Gelid Ultimate 1.5mm arrived.
So did some unwanted Gelid Extreme 3.0mm as well.
Need to order some thermal paste, oor go into the loft and find the Cooler Master CPU paste that came with my NR200P Max last month.

I am still in 2 minds if i want to do the mod on this Nov 2021 3080FE. Im mining at 100MH/s with stock pads and the memory junction temp is 96 -100 over the 24 hour period. Winter is coming and it is freezing today, so temps are lower by a degree or 2 on the memory junction.

Maybe hold fire until i actually see a 105 degrees on the memroy junction. Highest i seen in a week of mining at 100MH/s is 102 accopording to HWInfo 4, but when i look its always 98 degrees (Average is 98.7 degrees over a 24 hour period)
That is fantastic temps for ootb. Perhaps yours is an example of how all should be.

Soldato
My late Nov 21 3080 still hits high memory junction temps of 105/110. If I attempt to mine, it hits it very very quickly so the problem is not eradicated.

I plan to change my pads over Christmas following the same approach @uscool followed.
Yeah. Get it done. 100c and that's too much for me no matter what the marketing notes say.

Associate
My memory on my Nov FE Drop was between 92 and 104 with Fans 100%. I replaced the GPU side with 1.5 Gelid Extreme and went to repaste with MX4 and found the nozzle was broken in transit so I had to guess the amount. First time the GPU hotspot was over 100, so I took apart again and put less paste on and spread it. I now have a difference of around 16c between GPU temp and GPU hotspot, hotspot can go to just over 90 so I have adjusted the fan curve.

The hotspot is still higher than I would like, but I dont really want to risk taking it apart for a third time and I am not sure what I would do different

Memory is now sitting at around mid-high 80's but the fans around 50-60% much easier to live with

Soldato
My memory on my Nov FE Drop was between 92 and 104 with Fans 100%. I replaced the GPU side with 1.5 Gelid Extreme and went to repaste with MX4 and found the nozzle was broken in transit so I had to guess the amount. First time the GPU hotspot was over 100, so I took apart again and put less paste on and spread it. I now have a difference of around 16c between GPU temp and GPU hotspot, hotspot can go to just over 90 so I have adjusted the fan curve.

The hotspot is still higher than I would like, but I dont really want to risk taking it apart for a third time and I am not sure what I would do different

Memory is now sitting at around mid-high 80's but the fans around 50-60% much easier to live with

I used 1.5mm gelid ultimate only did die side and used thermal paste Syy 157 which was recommended for gpus as its thicker and less prone to pump out , the die isnt exactly flat so thicker paste helps, hotspot doesnt go above 10c over gpu temp as well as better vram temps my gpu temps have improved as well

Associate
Just like to say that this thread has been great reading. I received by 3080 FE yesterday and immediately noticed the high fan noise while gaming/mining. Undervolting helps, but the memory still hits 96 degrees during Halo Infinite. Not ideal.

I bought 2mm Gelid Extremes after reading all the guides online, and then found this thread which implies that this will not work for my recent 3080. I'm now torn. I've ordered some Gelid Ultimate 1.5mms because of this thread, but don't know if I should get Gelid Ultimate 2.0mms to do the staggered install mentioned a few pages back? 1.5mm on the VRAM and 2.0mm on the VRMs? Or can I mix and match my Ultimates and Extremes?

Soldato
Just like to say that this thread has been great reading. I received by 3080 FE yesterday and immediately noticed the high fan noise while gaming/mining. Undervolting helps, but the memory still hits 96 degrees during Halo Infinite. Not ideal.

I bought 2mm Gelid Extremes after reading all the guides online, and then found this thread which implies that this will not work for my recent 3080. I'm now torn. I've ordered some Gelid Ultimate 1.5mms because of this thread, but don't know if I should get Gelid Ultimate 2.0mms to do the staggered install mentioned a few pages back? 1.5mm on the VRAM and 2.0mm on the VRMs? Or can I mix and match my Ultimates and Extremes?

I used 2mm extreme gelid on recent 3080fe and gave really high GPU and hotspot temps you can try as the guides suggest if you get high gpu and hotspot you can try the following

1.5mm gelid ultimate on both VRAM and VRM sorted it getting better than stock GPU and hotspot temps with big difference in vram temps

Associate

I am in the same boat and very similar temps in Halo Infinite. I've got 1.5mm and 2mm Gelid Extremes. I think my first attempt is going to be on 1.5mm and see where that takes me.

Associate
I used 2mm extreme gelid on recent 3080fe and gave really high GPU and hotspot temps you can try as the guides suggest if you get high gpu and hotspot you can try the following

1.5mm gelid ultimate on both VRAM and VRM sorted it getting better than stock GPU and hotspot temps with big difference in vram temps

I am in the same boat and very similar temps in Halo Infinite. I've got 1.5mm and 2mm Gelid Extremes. I think my first attempt is going to be on 1.5mm and see where that takes me.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll wait for the 1.5mm Ultimates to come in and do the entire front with those. Will report back my results over Christmas.

Soldato
I used 1.5mm gelid ultimate only did die side and used thermal paste Syy 157 which was recommended for gpus as its thicker and less prone to pump out , the die isnt exactly flat so thicker paste helps, hotspot doesnt go above 10c over gpu temp as well as better vram temps my gpu temps have improved as well
Show off. Half tempted to re do mine. I'm seeing 12c difference. A bit more early on when the card is cold, but I don't think that matters.

Soldato
Show off. Half tempted to re do mine. I'm seeing 12c difference. A bit more early on when the card is cold, but I don't think that matters.

:) I wasn't expecting it to be that good not sure if it was the paste being thicker or the pads thickness letting the heatsink make better contact with the GPU die once screwed down , nothing to worry about 12c delta

Back
Top Bottom