• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 Hype now over & feeling disappointed?

Associate
It’s now been over a month since I got my hands on my new 3080 graphics card mainly for 4K gaming & I have to say I’m pretty disappointed that it’s not reaching 60fps at ultra settings in a lot of games ! Even world of Warcraft maxed out it doesn’t hit a constant 60 FPS ! Wtf....

I’ve noticed this card will hit 60 a lot of the times in games & then will suddenly just drop 10 FPS ! Never had this problem with my 1080ti in 2k gaming... just seen a big drop & it’s done it so fare in pretty much every game I’ve tried at 4K.... was hoping this card would be a 4K gaming God ! It isn’t sadly.

I mainly wanted to play RDR2 at 4K ultra but it does not stay at 60fps with ultra presets... kinda sits around 50-55 so feels a little laggy still.

same with MSFS2020 Again 4K ultra settings sitting around 50-55 FPS again when in built up areas but will hit 60 when up high...

World of Warcraft 4K ultra with RTX on hits around 50 - 60 again

Games like Rainbow six run well over 100fps np In 4K...

I’ve even tried Planet zoo at 4K ultra & again will hit 60fps most of the time but will suddenly just lose 10fps every now & again when moving around.... kinda sucks because you do notice the game not being smooth.

and before anyone says it no I don’t believe my CPU is the problem here when it’s pretty much on par with the newest CPU on single core gaming... before I made this post I checked on YouTube FPS in the above games & they all have the same problem..

Oh well looks like I need to hope 3080ti next year will solve my problems & give me 4K ultra gaming at 60fps

Last edited:
Associate
Just lower a couple of settings and you will hit 60FPS and you wont even notice the difference, being fixated on ultra settings will ultimately lead to disappointment. And don't believe the hype of other people, once you go down that road it's a disaster. Just do your research on a product and know what you are buying to save yourself the grief.

Permabanned
If I was on 4k then i'd have gone 3090. At 1440p the 3080 is an absolute beast of a card, while staying cool and quiet. I can't be bothered playing with settings and would rather hit ultra then play.

Best you can do is turn down a setting and get rid of the FPS counter.

You do have Power management mode set to Prefer maximum performance?

Caporegime
WOW is a 15 year old game, and even despite engine upgrades it's not a good example to test a GPU.

I believe that visually there is little difference between 7 and 10 on the slider.

Soldato
Your comparing 1440p to 4k. The difference in computational output is massive.

I dont think its a coincidence that all the games you listed are heavy on the cpu, i also don't think its a coincidence that you didn't actually list your cpu.

Soldato
Try running that resolution reducing/upscaling software thingy, I did that with crysis remastered and instantly gained about 10-15 fps and there was no discernible image degradation at all that I could see. Ultra settings are really only relevant for bench testing imho and offer no benefit at all other than loading the gpu to it's maximum load.

Soldato
I’ve got no skin in this game, but I would be mortified if I’d splashed a King’s ransom on a 3080 and found it didn’t perform as well as the card it replaced despite being pitched as being superior.

To be fair, I am fully aware that my CPU, RAM and MB would severely bottleneck my Vega 56 if I attempted anything over 1080p.

Permabanned
I really do think that much of the hype about the 3080 is misplaced. It is a good card for sure, but it's not as awesome as people have hyped it up to be, especially at it's current price. At first the hype was it was God knows how many times faster than the 2080 but as time goes by real world figures are coming lower and lower. According to real world figures it's now about 45% faster than the 2080S. Sure, this is really good, and at £700 it's fantastic, but it's not as great as many people seem to think. My guess on this is that it's not the GPU, it's the rest of the PC trying to keep up. It's not a question of the PC being bad, it's more a question of any current PC will be limiting given the right circumstances.

Soldato
Yes imo it’s far from a 4K card.

You need a ps5 for that ;)

Problem is games keep getting more difficult to run and the current crop of cards can run the latest games at lower resolution but you’ll need a 6080 ti to reliably knock 4K on the head in the same way you’ll need a 3080 to reliably knock 1080p on the head in terms of games like Cynerpunk 77

Associate
I’ve got no skin in this game, but I would be mortified if I’d splashed a King’s ransom on a 3080 and found it didn’t perform as well as the card it replaced despite being pitched as being superior.

To be fair, I am fully aware that my CPU, RAM and MB would severely bottleneck my Vega 56 if I attempted anything over 1080p.

you have that the wrong way round , the lower the res the more likely you’ll bottleneck the gpu.The higher the res the more the gpu bottlenecks and the cpu does less work.

Caporegime
you have that the wrong way round , the lower the res the more likely you’ll bottleneck the gpu.The higher the res the more the gpu bottlenecks and the cpu does less work.

You meant to say:

the lower the res the more likely you’ll bottleneck the CPU
The higher the res the more the gpu bottlenecks and the cpu does less work.

Associate

Kind of, GPU limits max and average framerate at 4K, but if you look at the Cyberpunk benchmarks when running on a decent I7 CPU at 4K the lows are noticeably lower than the exact same system running on a higher end 10900K. This seems to be what the OP is reporting, occasional large frame rate drops.

Back
Top Bottom