• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 or 3080ti 1440p @165hz

Soldato
I just showed the boss the graphics card and she thought I was joking. 3080ti is off the cards but I did talk her into a 3080 10gb. I had to use lots of man maths and how beneficial it would be, with a few charts and diagrams, and she said she would put money towards it instead of the whole thing.
I don’t think she realised which graphics cards I would be looking at when she said she would get me one lol.

In that case save extra money and get a 3070ti, it's perfect for a 1440p panel with gsync.Use the savings you made to get extra special bedroom stuff ;)

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question and don't want to create another one.

I have just ordered the Alienware QD-OLED 34" monitor and I am not convinced my 6700xt will cut it. It's a great card for 2560x1440, but think it will struggle going forward.

Will a 3080 be okay paired with this panel or would the 3080 TI be better? Does ray-tracing add much to games?
According to Dell, it is due for delivery in August, which is very close to the expected launch of the next series of GPU's. This means do I wait and assess things closer to to the time, risking the higher prices of the next series and expected increase in power draw or bite the bullet now and grab a current top end card? I try and avoid NVIDIA due to their dubious business practices, but it does seem they are a generation ahead of AMD in several area's at the moment.

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question and don't want to create another one.

I have just ordered the Alienware QD-OLED 34" monitor and I am not convinced my 6700xt will cut it. It's a great card for 2560x1440, but think it will struggle going forward.

Will a 3080 be okay paired with this panel or would the 3080 TI be better? Does ray-tracing add much to games?
According to Dell, it is due for delivery in August, which is very close to the expected launch of the next series of GPU's. This means do I wait and assess things closer to to the time, risking the higher prices of the next series and expected increase in power draw or bite the bullet now and grab a current top end card? I try and avoid NVIDIA due to their dubious business practices, but it does seem they are a generation ahead of AMD in several area's at the moment.

I would use fsr or rsr to improve the fps on games that you struggle with on the 6700xt and wait for the next gen cards. Prices will likely be higher, but if they go up by 20%, with performance going up by 50% then some people will move down the stack, so instead of a 4080 they will get a 4070, (although some people are suggesting the new series will be named 5000 not 4000)

Caporegime

Try the 6700XT for sure, but tbh most game engines allow you to scale the resolution so if you struggle with anything try it at 80/85% and enable the Sharpening (or slightly increase it). Going to be running my 6900XT with it but it might be slight overkill with current games.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Try the 6700XT for sure, but tbh most game engines allow you to scale the resolution so if you struggle with anything try it at 80/85% and enable the Sharpening (or slightly increase it). Going to be running my 6900XT with it but it might be slight overkill with current games.

This tbh.

Soldato

The 3080ti is barely a side grade from the 3080. Yes you might get the odd fps here and there but is nothing like the 2080/2080ti was. It’s 10% better on average which could mean as little as 5fps more in a demanding 4K game.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition/28.html

Soldato
Look at reviews that show games you play or similar. Look at the FPS they're getting and extrapolate based on the CPU etc. you have. I was thinking that I might as well get the 3080Ti FE at £1050 but I quickly realised that that grunt would drive the games I play at well over 100FPS which is wasted on me with a 100hz Gsync panel. I'm stepped back to the 3080 and will probably be ordering an Asus TUF soon.

Associate
OP
I managed to talk my girlfriend into letting me have the graphics card now, so I've just installed a Asus 3080 TUF and it's really good. My 750 watt power supply is running it fine. Overall I'm happy with the upgrade :)

Soldato
I managed to talk my girlfriend into letting me have the graphics card now, so I've just installed a Asus 3080 TUF and it's really good. My 750 watt power supply is running it fine. Overall I'm happy with the upgrade :)
Talk her into it? I don't tell her such stuff. She won't notice a new GPU; doesn't even know what one is :D

Soldato
Look at reviews that show games you play or similar. Look at the FPS they're getting and extrapolate based on the CPU etc. you have. I was thinking that I might as well get the 3080Ti FE at £1050 but I quickly realised that that grunt would drive the games I play at well over 100FPS which is wasted on me with a 100hz Gsync panel. I'm stepped back to the 3080 and will probably be ordering an Asus TUF soon.
If a 3080ti can drive your games at well over 100fps so can a plain 3080. There’s genuinely very little difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom