• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 vs 6800 xt for 3440x1440 gaming

Associate
So I've got a 3080 on order, according to my last queue position email I should get it sometime around when hell freezes over. I'm likely to order a 6800 XT and keep which ever one comes first.

The question is this: I'll be gaming on a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor, I care about ray tracing and want it included so is the choice between the two cards moot as the lower memory and slightly lower rasterisation of the 3080 is still more than enough for WQHD and the slower ray tracing of the 6800 XT still more than enough for WQHD or will there be a clear winner (besides the consumer as competition drives down prices and drives up innovation)?

Soldato
Until 3rd party benchmarks are released we will not know for sure.

At this time it appears that the 6800XT will fall short on ray tracing compared to the 3080

See here:
https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/1...short-of-nvidia-rtx-according-to-early-tests/

It is also not known if performance will drop even further when used in real game scenarios because AMD has implemented their method within the graphics pipeline. Enabling RT could cause a greater drop in rasterization performance but as no reviewers have a 6800XT yet it cannot be confirmed.

Another thing to consider is when using RT quite often you need DLSS to give yourself an FPS boost and currently AMD do not have an equivalent to this. Apparently something is in development though so who knows...

Associate
Reviews haven't been published yet.
But available data suggests that 6800xt is better at rasterization (especially at 1440p) while significantly lacking RT horsepower and won't be supporting DLSS at launch but there's some Zen 3 platform synergies to be had (upto 13%). Also most of us believe that 6800xt will be better at overclocking.

So it's like choosing between a card that can unlock higher performance (6800xt) vs a card that caps your worst experience (3080).

I like to hedge my downsides rather than maximise the upside, so to me the 3080 looks like a better option provided you can get one close to suggested prices.

Associate
Same situation as you OP, I've got a pre order for a strix 3080 and an evga ftw3, but I'm going to get the 6800xt if it's good and cancel the other two. RT is of no interest, just need raw horse power.

Main worries are it doesn't live up to hype, or everything gets DLSS support... then lastly ***** drivers. I don't mind putting up with a few teething issues though.

Soldato
Why do people always ask for which card is better, when one of the cards hasn't even had any benchmarks released? Really odd.

Associate
OP
Why do people always ask for which card is better, when one of the cards hasn't even had any benchmarks released? Really odd.

That's not true, some benchmarks have been released/leaked for the 6800 XT. The question also has elements that can be answered now re:3080 and 3440x1440 memory/rasterisation. If you don't have anything productive to say, please don't clog up the thread being rude; it is unhelpful and unwanted.

Soldato
That's not true, some benchmarks have been released/leaked for the 6800 XT. The question also has elements that can be answered now re:3080 and 3440x1440 memory/rasterisation. If you don't have anything productive to say, please don't clog up the thread being rude; it is unhelpful and unwanted.
I think what he meant to say was nobody knows because the benches that have been leaked maybe false and not from the main site's so we don't know if they're genuine so to give a answer judged on them could be misleading

Soldato
The question is this: I'll be gaming on a 21:9 3440x1440 monitor, I care about ray tracing and want it included so is the choice between the two cards moot as the lower memory and slightly lower rasterisation of the 3080 is still more than enough for WQHD and the slower ray tracing of the 6800 XT still more than enough for WQHD or will there be a clear winner (besides the consumer as competition drives down prices and drives up innovation)?
Guessing it be best to just wait for all the reviews of the 6800 XT to be released

Associate
Tbh I think what mainly dictates the buying of the 6000 series is the platform your running
If your on amd and plan to hit a 5000 series cpu soon, surely the 6800xt is a done deal ?
If you on intel ..... well there is more to consider

Soldato
Tbh I think what mainly dictates the buying of the 6000 series is the platform your running
If your on amd and plan to hit a 5000 series cpu soon, surely the 6800xt is a done deal ?
If you on intel ..... well there is more to consider
It also depends on drivers from amd I'm hoping they get them sorted for this card

Permabanned
I'm in the same position OP. Seems a waste to buy a next gen card based on legacy rasterisation performance, especially when the legacy paths are reach so high on all cards. I'm in the queue at 110 for a ASUS 3080 TUF OC.

Associate
What I'd be concerned with when talking about high resolutions like 3440x1440 and Ray Tracing is that Ray Tracing often cannot be done at more than about 1080p in games that make heavy use of it. Nvidias solution to this is DLSS which is a machine learned upscale algorithm to give you high resolution when RT is being used. Right now it's not clear what AMDs equivalent is going to be or how good it will be. I've heard talks of "super resolution" as the technology but that it's not yet ready for the prime time. That and keep an eye out for benchmarks comparing ray tracing between the 2 camps as the AMD cards reach 3rd party benchmarkers.

Back
Top Bottom