• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080ti keeps dying

Soldato
OP
It’s going back, got my return sorted. Sadly it’s the one time I need to print something and I’m out of ink!?

I’m swapping it for an ASUs Tuf gaming 3080ti. Looks a bit more stream lined, without all the pointless led screen and only 2 pci-e cables needed

Associate
Argh, I've told I need a 700 watt minimum for a 6600XT to fix my GPU issue and that consumes about half of the juice a 3080Ti uses. If I were you I would look at getting a 1Kw PSU from someone like Seasonic.

that seems a little ott for a 6600xt run my 6700xt perfectly fine on a decent quality 650w it draws a maximun of 220 watts of power over the last 5 hour session I monitored and that is only every now and then

while I dont know the rest of your system info Iam certain who ever told you that is speaking a load of old tosh

all the reviews reccomend a 500 watt min for a 6600xt it uses less power than my old 5700

Last edited:
Soldato
that seems a little ott for a 6600xt run my 6700xt perfectly fine on a decent quality 650w it draws a maximun of 220 watts of power over the last 5 hour session I monitored and that is only every now and then

while I dont know the rest of your system info Iam certain who ever told you that is speaking a load of old tosh

all the reviews reccomend a 500 watt min for a 6600xt it uses less power than my old 5700
It's too do with an issue that seems specific to the 6600XT (especially the sapphire models), on boot up sometimes the driver doesn't kick when Windows starts loading and I get a black screen, know one seems to know what's causing the issue but some have speculated it's to do with the driver power management. Anyway a workaround is to use a PSU that's 700+watts but I hold out for hope that AMD will fix the issue.

Associate
It's too do with an issue that seems specific to the 6600XT (especially the sapphire models), on boot up sometimes the driver doesn't kick when Windows starts loading and I get a black screen, know one seems to know what's causing the issue but some have speculated it's to do with the driver power management. Anyway a workaround is to use a PSU that's 700+watts but I hold out for hope that AMD will fix the issue.

thats a a right pain the arse

and annoying as hell I can imagine

Man of Honour
My 3080ti FE paired with a 10770k is running off a Corsair 750W PSU with no issues.
Depends what Corsair though. The CX is one of the cheaper units I believe whereas e.g. an RX would be higher rated.

That said, I feel some people are often a bit quick to instantly brand PSUs as not good enough, making it almost a binary thing of "this is not good enough" rather than "this could lead to potential issues". I mean, people saying a 1kw quality PSU to run a standard system with a 3080ti, sure that would be nice but not strictly needed.

Soldato
Depends what Corsair though. The CX is one of the cheaper units I believe whereas e.g. an RX would be higher rated.

That said, I feel some people are often a bit quick to instantly brand PSUs as not good enough, making it almost a binary thing of "this is not good enough" rather than "this could lead to potential issues". I mean, people saying a 1kw quality PSU to run a standard system with a 3080ti, sure that would be nice but not strictly needed.

Corsair RM Series RM750 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply. I'm guessing that's good.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the point I'm making. You've got a "Tier A" or whatever PSU (I meant RM not RX) whereas the CX is more like a Tier C. So your PSU might be fine but his budget CPU may not be despite both being "750W".

Back
Top Bottom