1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

3090 FE RMA opinion?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by tintin82, 21 Aug 2021.

1. uscool

Wise Guy

I would still RMA for peace of mind
    the replacement has coil whine but it isnt as bad with under volting and when fans kick in gets drowned out . I did notice at stock the replacement doesnt seem to boost as high so get slightly lower scores even though the temps look better guess thats silicon lottery with under volting it brings up the scores so not big deal

I do notice the vram getting upto 90c in some games such as Red Dead 2 will be replacing the pads just waiting on stock of Gelid GP-EXTREME they seem to be in demand , I will probably do the backplate as well I know it only adds -1-2c

2. Major774

Gangster

Awesome, now change your pads and give the Lego back to your kids haha.

3. Major774

Gangster

Good to hear.

Gelid Extreme are easy to get, I can get the 2/3 mm version from China (can't say the retailer), takes about 2 weeks to be delivered to the UK.

4. uscool

Wise Guy

yeah I seen them but the wait was hoping someone in UK would pop up with stock this rate probably better off ordering from China

5. Major774

Gangster

It's cheaper from China. £19 delivered (ordered 2 and 3 mm pads).

6. uscool

Wise Guy

ordered 1x 2mm and 2x 3xmm pads £25 just went with one showing 10 day delivery and really high reviews of delivery speed .. guess I can wait and note down the temps before and after :)

7. Falkentyne

Gangster

Gelid emailed Kedarwolf on overclock.net and told him to avoid the "Darker" color Chinese 120mm * 120mm pads that come in a ziploc bag with a label, as they are using an older process and have been known to have quality issues.
    Only use the retail 80mm * 40mm (Extreme)E or 90mm * 50mm (Ultimate) pads.

Also new dimensions for pad replacement. Just tested this today with outstanding results (also managed to touch up my really bad 8 pin #1 shunt mod, which dropped 8 pin #1 much closer to 8 pin #2 (4 "uncorrected" watts at 580W TDP(!), 1-2 watts at 400W TDP.

Anyway....

Front VRAM: 1.5mm Gelid Extremes (DO NOT use Ultimates)
    Front VRM's left/right banks: 2mm Gelid Extremes (Do NOT use Ultimates)

Backplate: your choice of 1.5mm or 2mm Gelid Ultimates or Extremes.
    TFX or Kryonaut Extreme or FuzeIce Plus thermal paste, fully spread on the core.

8. vapor matt

Wise Guy

These are my temps on my 3090fe with byski water block and back plate all run default with no over clocking at all. mem temp 74c after quake RTX for 45 mins.

[​IMG]

9. Danger Bri

Gangster

What temps were you seeing before the water block? I’m considering for a future build.

10. vapor matt

Wise Guy

I couldn't tell you what temps, I put water block straight on it.

11. Alan McFall

Gangster

I was expecting a half decent support, that is terrible, please learn how to lego :cry::cry::cry:

12. HRL

Wise Guy

If it helps, my 3090FE on air runs 20C higher on the GPU and the VRAM.

13. Danger Bri

Gangster

Thanks for that. It seems like it’s worth doing then.

14. mushta

Associate

I’ve just come across this thread and I’m pretty much in the same position as OP. I found that applying pressure underneath the card drops the VRAM temps by at least 15c.

I haven’t replaced any pads, just put these two braces underneath.

The braces are applying a bit of pressure so I’m a little bit concerned it might damage the card, not sure..

I’m convinced this is the case with every 3090 FE as a friend of mine with a 3090 FE is doing the same thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Sep 2021
  15. tintin82

Hitman

Great to hear you had a similar success. Its great to drop those temps without taking the card apart. My first attempt dropped them temps by a fair amount, then I took it one step further and applied a load of pressure and the temps went through the floor. I fairly am confident this will not damage the card as the resistance is taken by where the card screws into the back of the pc. My lego stand is bar tight against the cooler. Works a treat.

16. mushta

Associate

I’ve uploaded a video demonstration of this in action if anyone is curious.

17. Major774

Gangster

Great video… now people have the options of the thermal pad change or GPU bracket to eliminate any air pockets.

18. _Cereal_

Gangster

i would RMA it if you arent happy with it and while i dont blame people for doing it i dont think anyone should have to go through the hassle of repasting their GPUS due to Nvidia ****** quality control, specially a 1400 quid GPU.

19. xPETEZx

Gangster

Having seen this thread, I built a lego support for my 3090FE too.
    I already changed the rear-pads, and temps now top around 95 for the VRAM.
    But I never opened the front of the card, so I thought maybe Id have the same issue.

I can report that nothing changed by adding the support. So I dont think its ALL 3090FEs.

Saw on reddit recently an FE owner who opened there card found a thermal pad from the VRAM had been misplaced and went part way across the core :o, so it does seem like there is definitely a QA issue right now.
    Wonder what you would find if you opened yours?

If you aren't comfortable, id probably look to RMA just like I advised to the OP too.
    Applying pressure to stop the fans going to 100% sounds like there must be something not right under there.

20. mushta

Associate

Interesting.. I wonder if when you’ve added the replacement pads they’ve been thicker and made up for the poor contact of the stock ones?

I would open mine but I’m unsure on where that leaves 3 year manufacturer warranty with Nvidia? I’d like to keep that intact if possible.

Something that makes me think is this widespread is that without the contact my cards VRAM temps top out around 106-8c, which I hear is normal? I haven’t seen many cases of people getting temps down to sub 94c without mods while mining or gaming with stock pads. Could be wrong though..

Maybe I should RMA with Scan and do this again for the sake of science :D