1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

3090 FE RMA opinion?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by tintin82, 21 Aug 2021.

1. ZXSpekky48k

Gangster

Amazed you can have sag with three screws holding it in!

2. mushta

Associate

I don’t think it’s actually sag from the whole GPU itself and it’s screwed it properly and secure.

The metal heat sinks underneath are a separate piece and applying pressure gives it better contact with the card itself. If you see what I mean haha

For example, if I apply pressure on the silver part of the card right at the edge, there is no temperature decrease.

3. ZXSpekky48k

Gangster

Ah ok it does then seem like a design fault rather than it detaching from the pcie slot which I assumed was what people meant

4. xPETEZx

Gangster

I only changed the rear pads, and for those I used 1.5mm. I wouldn't have thought that would improve contact on the front of the card though. And I can only think that adding a support improves contact for the front pads.

There is a lot of hersay about warranty and changing pads. The offical line from nVidia of course is that if you open or modify the card in anyway, your warranty is void.
    However, I have not personally seen a single instance of nVidia refusing an RMA for any reason.
    In one case on this board a user even admitted to them he had opened the card. In another reddit case, the user simply didnt mention the changed pads.
    Personally, I tend to believe that nVidia operates by simply not checking.
    If a card comes to them that appears physically perfect, and fails its bench testing I imagine they just move on and approve the RMA, send a replacement.
    I could only see them rejecting a claim if either the user admits they modified the card to them when opening the claim, or the card arrives at nVidia obviously damaged or modified.
    If I ever need to RMA my card, I certainly wont mention the changed pads. IF nVidia then tried to reject my claim based on changed pads, Id put up a fight. Hoping they back down. But yes, I would say the risk exists they dont and I am out of pocket. Still, I consider that risk to be miniscule.

Thats just my $0.02 on it.

5. tommoT.Striker

Gangster

Hmmm, this is a very interesting thread and i'm going to see if squeezing the GPU reduces temps for my vertically mounted 3090. I have bought Thermalright Thermal Pads already as i'm ready to risk it. If it is a crappy contact issue i'd rather address that than take apart the GPU, but shall see after testing the OP's trick.

6. mushta

Associate

Please let me know!

7. Major774

Gangster

Keep us updated.

I am going to stock up on G clamps and scalp them :D

8. tommoT.Striker

Gangster

So I tried it last night, and with a firm squeeze of both the top and bottom parts of the card near the center gave a 10 Degree drop in memory temps! Tested this running a mining load. To me that's a result! Couldn't hold it for too long because the card is so hot. Now I will be trying it with clamps or anything that can apply enough pressure.

Maybe not everyone has a condom induced thermal issues in their GPUs? I'll try getting some clamps to see if it can show a consistent drop in temps and put the thermal pads to one side for now.

9. wunkley

Mobster

This is a brilliant discovery mate, and actually looks ok too. It's crazy we 3090Fe owners have to even consider doing **** like this, but if it works I'm keen to try it out (and the card is so huge and heavy it can't hurt to have extra support for it really anyway!)

Can you please tell me where you got these exact support braces from?

10. tommoT.Striker

Gangster

Couldn't get the temps consistently down by applying pressure to the GPU. There probably is a contact issue because if you do it the right spot temps do drop. But I've decided to repad. Ordered some Gelid Extreme pads and will return the Thermal Right ones. Fingers crossed it all goes well. If it you're using Lego or some other support instead, that's great. Saves you time and any concerns.

11. mushta

Associate

Just from a popular auction site! Typed in GPU brace

12. mushta

Associate

Just from a popular auction site! Typed in GPU brace

13. wunkley

Mobster

thanks bud!
    Do you really need 2 or will one do the job?

14. mushta

Associate

1 will get you 90% of the way there

15. wunkley

Mobster

Nice one, will just try one first.
    Do you put anything between the brace and the card itself to protect the cards surface?

16. mushta

Associate

The braces have rubber on both ends

17. wunkley

Mobster

Perfect. Ordered, thanks bud. Will try to report back here with findings when I get it.

18. subbytna

Capodecina

I'm more concerned about the red and black cables:o...than the brace :D

19. scubes

Mobster

I remember my gigabyte 2080ti doing something similar it had to be rmaed due to black screens I was getting .but ocuk rma it with out issue .all my rmas went smoothly .

20. andybird123

Capodecina

the 3080ti is basically a 3090 in a 3080 skin, so it draws nearly as much power as a 3090 but has the cooler from the 3080